1:21 Scale Boeing B-29 Foam Board Build

AeroEngineer20

Hello all! A while ago, I built a 44" B-29 using Emax 1806 motors with 5x4 props on it. I was a more inexperienced builder and pilot at the time, so I didn't design the spar to be sturdy enough for its speed and wing loading. However, I crashed due to losing orientation long before the spar folded. Whoops.
IMG_20170924_144715.jpg
Before the crash

So, after my later failed attempt at an F-104 with landing gear, I learned more about how I should design aircraft landing gear to be sturdier. Since I have more 3D printer filament than money for retractable landing gear, I decided to give it another go, this time on a larger B-29. I'm making it at this scale since it nicely fits 9" propellers on the four motors I have.

So far, I have designed both the nose and main landing gear systems, and have a rough idea of the rest of the structure. I'm planning on flying it with a Pixhawk controller for an autopilot/system that will limit the speed at which I crash into the ground. This is a work-in-progress, so I'll be posting updates somewhat periodically. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

For now, enjoy the pictures!

0001.png
Fancy render of the progress as of now.

2.PNG
3.PNG
Nose Assembly - It will be removable to change batteries

4.PNG
5.PNG
Nose gear, extended and retracted

6.PNG
7.PNG
Main gear, extended and retracted

1.PNG
Wide view

Flying Farm Kid

Any update on this?
Hello all! A while ago, I built a 44" B-29 using Emax 1806 motors with 5x4 props on it. I was a more inexperienced builder and pilot at the time, so I didn't design the spar to be sturdy enough for its speed and wing loading. However, I crashed due to losing orientation long before the spar folded. Whoops.
View attachment 111949
Before the crash

So, after my later failed attempt at an F-104 with landing gear, I learned more about how I should design aircraft landing gear to be sturdier. Since I have more 3D printer filament than money for retractable landing gear, I decided to give it another go, this time on a larger B-29. I'm making it at this scale since it nicely fits 9" propellers on the four motors I have.

So far, I have designed both the nose and main landing gear systems, and have a rough idea of the rest of the structure. I'm planning on flying it with a Pixhawk controller for an autopilot/system that will limit the speed at which I crash into the ground. This is a work-in-progress, so I'll be posting updates somewhat periodically. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

For now, enjoy the pictures!

View attachment 111951
Fancy render of the progress as of now.

View attachment 111952
View attachment 111953
Nose Assembly - It will be removable to change batteries

View attachment 111954
View attachment 111955
Nose gear, extended and retracted

View attachment 111956
View attachment 111957
Main gear, extended and retracted