1/3 Scale Fly Baby, from Balsa USA, Bi-Plane or Low-Wing

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Yeah, I know this isn't the right area of the forum for a For Sale ad, but how many people read that part of the forum? This sale is really geared towards balsa builders so I'll put this here until my hand gets slapped. :black_eyed:

I've got TWO of the 1/3 scale Fly Baby balsa kits from Balsa USA, one is the bi-plane and the other is the low-wing kit.

These are older versions of the kits, probably 30 years old (a guess), but are unmolested survivor kits, with no parts glued, no balsa pieces pushed out of the sheet, with all the original instructions, decals, and hardware. Note that the current low-wing from Balsa USA is a much more detailed version than they used to sell, which is why they sell it for $768.85! This is just a regular kit without all the extra stuff they've added.

The bi-plane wingspan is 88" and the low-wing's span is 112". Each kit is $300 plus shipping.

Also note that the plan page for the bi-plane looks like it was folded, but it wasn't. It was rolled up, but when it was in the box the weight of the parts flattened the roll a bit. It's not creased, but "wobbly", I guess is the best way to describe it. I've re-rolled the plans so after they sit rolled for a while they should be fine - still no creases like folding would do to it!

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3033a.jpg

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It all looks good to me, everything looks completely usable except the decals. They aren't cracked or torn, but have yellowed a bit with age and probably wouldn't look good. These things are real time capsules - the tape closing the boxes was dried out and fell off, some masking tape on the boxes and shipping labels also just fell right off. I'd love to know how long they've just been sitting in a basement waiting to be built.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
To further temp you, I'll cover shipping costs higher than $15 (UPS ground to PA, insured). I'd love to see one of these kits go to the FT community.

Tench745

Master member
It all looks good to me, everything looks completely usable except the decals. They aren't cracked or torn, but have yellowed a bit with age and probably wouldn't look good. These things are real time capsules - the tape closing the boxes was dried out and fell off, some masking tape on the boxes and shipping labels also just fell right off. I'd love to know how long they've just been sitting in a basement waiting to be built.

FYI, most decals can be de-yellowed by leaving them in direct sunlight for a period of time, about a week I think.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Plenty of questions on RC Groups, but no takers so far. $300 shipped per kit, via UPS Ground to the lower 48.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I know what you mean, although I have the space for it, but not the extra money since that is (hopefully) going to fund a big Japanese Zero purchase. I think its about 1/5 or 1/6 scale, and should be a fun plane. I'm tempted to keep and build the Fly Baby Bipe, but it just doesn't "speak" to me so it should move on. I'm also selling off a couple other birds to make room for different planes. Going away are a P-51 VooDoo Reno Racer, a Japanese Ki-61 Tony, and some balsa kits. My wife will be so happy with me! Until I come home with more planes... :)

Too bad it can't stay in the Flite Test community, I'd be happy to drop it off in person as I head to my dad's place in Door County.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Just a couple rubber-powered older kits that I picked up a while back for balsa. As much as I'd like to build them I've come to the realization that I'll never get to them. I also had a 40" Taylorcraft Dumas kit, but that sold on RC Groups in 6 minutes! :) I'm also selling off the P-51 VooDoo, the Ki-61 Tony, and the F959 Sky King I got from Gear Best to do the reviews on. As much fun as the P-51 and Ki-61 are, I just don't fly them enough to warrant taking up space in the hangar. 8 planes/kits total, which should give me a clear conscious to bring 1 or 2 more back into the house!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's a sad day as I need to announce the low-wing Fly Baby has been sold and is heading to Illinois. :( I still have the bi-plane, and a big part of me hopes that it doesn't sell so I'm forced to build it some day. But selling the low-wing will fund the Mountain Models EVA I need to buy for the balsa build-along and hopefully leave enough to pick up the large scale Zero I've got my eye on! :)