150% Un-Tiny Trainer Build

duckduckgoose

The extending the wing span the bigger the fin & rudder has to be whereas the tail plane and elevator can largely be left 'as is'.
The problem comes down to the weight of the wings. Bigger span = bigger inertia so it needs more "rudder" to get it yawing so the dihedral can take effect to create the bank and just as important to stop the yaw so it returns to straight and level.

Outboard ailerons on the other hand actually get more effective at creating bank the bigger the wing span and thus they relegate the rudder to just adding sufficient yaw input to keep the turn 'neutral'.
Yeah I was wondering about the rudder, I will have to wait and see how it goes on the maiden (this weekend I hope). The AUW has only increased by 100 grams with the new wing, so hopefully it goes alright. Thanks

duckduckgoose

Maidened the new wing today. Tried fpv first off, but I thought something was wrong as it felt like it didn't have as much power as it should have. Managed a short flight in medium wind without incident. I switched motors and took the fpv gear off (I probably should have left the fpv gear on to see the difference) and it felt a bit better but I think it was actually just not quite as powerful as I initially thought, or perhaps I am not taking into account the extra drag the trainer wing with its extra length and airfoil thickness are adding. As a slow cruising plane it is a joy to fly and I think that is what it is supposed to be. Maybe I will find a larger motor but for now, it is a nice plane to take out on a Sunday afternoon. Video soon
IMG_20190818_191355_814.jpg

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maidened the new wing today. Tried fpv first off, but I thought something was wrong as it felt like it didn't have as much power as it should have. Managed a short flight in medium wind without incident. I switched motors and took the fpv gear off (I probably should have left the fpv gear on to see the difference) and it felt a bit better but I think it was actually just not quite as powerful as I initially thought, or perhaps I am not taking into account the extra drag the trainer wing with its extra length and airfoil thickness are adding. As a slow cruising plane it is a joy to fly and I think that is what it is supposed to be. Maybe I will find a larger motor but for now, it is a nice plane to take out on a Sunday afternoon. Video soon View attachment 139884
Happy to hear you are getting exactly what you want out of it. That pic is post card worthy

duckduckgoose

Looks good, seems to have enough power, subtle glide slope, and the wing extension doesn't seem to hinder anything, soars nice too. I would say it looks like the perfect FPV platform. Good job
Yeah, I think I am used to overpowered small planes that can fly vertical haha. I'll have to give the fpv another go on a calmer day

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
duckduckgoose
What no landing at your feet! ;) but still a very nice flight.
My suggestion would be to 'tidy up' the air frame to reduce the parasitic drag. The less drag the more power you will have 'spare'.

duckduckgoose

duckduckgoose
What no landing at your feet! ;) but still a very nice flight.
My suggestion would be to 'tidy up' the air frame to reduce the parasitic drag. The less drag the more power you will have 'spare'.
Yeah it's a bit of a temporary setup at the moment, going to cut holes into the inside of the wing spar and run the wires through it and iron the edges smooth. Unfortunately my camera battery went flat for the last 4 minutes of the flight. I ended up running out of light and put it down. It was getting sketchy flying with just silhouettes

Last edited:

duckduckgoose

I have finally got around to installing a bigger motor and prop in the 150% TT. I used a Sunnysky 2814 1000kv motor with a 11 inch prop. BOY DOES IT FLY. It now has the kind of power I was looking for, and can now go into steep (and very fast) climbs. I managed a very nice flight Doing heaps of flips. One thing I forgot to check was the ESC. The current ESC was rated for 40A but the new motor recommended a 50A. Sure enough, just as the battery alarm started, I thought I'd do one last throttle up to prepare for landing, and I heard a rather horrible screech and silence. Fortunately, the huge wing let me glide down and land without problem, but I found the plane with smoke coming from the nose. Fortunately it was just the ESC not the battery or motor. Here is a short clip of the flight.
IMG_20190926_165108.jpg

This is mine 150% version of the Tiny Trainer.
Maiden was already one month ago. Until now I have no video :-( Sorry. Hopefully I can add it in future. It flies great!!

For more strength I used colored packing tape and the fuselage looks now like a zebra :-D

The middle of the wing contains small piece of plywood. The elevator is doubled form board. The ruder is with a wooden stick fixed. I fly it on 4s with 2200mah. The motor is a cheap chinese motor with 1400kv.

Attachments

• 150percent ft tiny trainer.jpg
    150percent ft tiny trainer.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Maiden was already one month ago. Until now I have no video :-( Sorry. Hopefully I can add it in future. It flies great!!

For more strength I used colored packing tape and the fuselage looks now like a zebra :-D

The middle of the wing contains small piece of plywood. The elevator is doubled form board. The ruder is with a wooden stick fixed. I fly it on 4s with 2200mah. The motor is a cheap chinese motor with 1400kv.
Wow man put a handful of bead necklaces around that thing and fly it around Mardi Gras, you are sure to get some flashes of fun bags :cool::ROFLMAO:

duckduckgoose

Wow! That thing is beautiful, they fly nice and docile as well when scaled up. Great work!