1938 "Twin Cyclone" Free Flight to RC conversion

TooJung2Die

Master member
Damn I can't read. That's really cool!
You didn't miss anything I wrote but I thought someone might ask about the torsion rod. You asked an excellent question, one I've been asking myself ever since I bought this kit two years ago. It was only recently I remembered how we controlled the rudder using a torsion rod back in the days of escapements and pulse proportional RC. Then it dawned on me how to use a similar mechanism to connect two rudders.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Time to make airplane noises. Taped it together for the required bare-bones photo shoot. :D

IMG_1989crop.jpg

IMG_1987crop.jpg

I decided to go full blast old timer and cover it with tissue. I was hoping the kit tissue was silkspan but it has no wet strength. I might have some silkspan around here... If I have to I'll use ordinary art tissue.

Jon

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I think I saw someone in the FB group 3D printing them. Did they release the STLs somewhere? Or someone else just made their own model and used that.

TooJung2Die

Master member
No doubt there are people out there with 3D printers making motor mounts similar to these. That's probably where Willy Nillies got the idea. But for folks like me without 3D printers Willy Nillies is the only source I know of. I'm still trying to think of a compelling reason to get a 3D printer. So far everything I can think of making can be obtained somewhere else. They're kind of expensive to buy as a toy to play around with for making other toys. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No doubt there are people out there with 3D printers making motor mounts similar to these. That's probably where Willy Nillies got the idea. But for folks like me without 3D printers Willy Nillies is the only source I know of. I'm still trying to think of a compelling reason to get a 3D printer. So far everything I can think of making can be obtained somewhere else. They're kind of expensive to buy as a toy to play around with for making other toys. :)

WN does a great job with these little motor mounts, and it's not an easy thing to get setup to print well. Very tight tolerances on the mounting holes to get the screws to go through, and the multi-color / multi-part prints take a while and some skill to produce right. I have a 3D printer and still find it well worth the couple bucks to order these mounts rather than deal with making them myself.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Covering the fuselage. The tissue in the kit has the wet strength of toilet paper. :( This white tissue has enough wet strength to smooth it out over curves.

IMG_1992crop.jpg

Side view.

IMG_1994crop.jpg

I found a source for silkspan in my state and I wrote to see if they're shipping. No answer so I'm using what I got. I'm learning that good tissue has a dull side and a shiny side. The fibers are fine and if you look really close there is a crosshatch watermark. The best test is to wet it and see how easily it falls apart.
Jon

TooJung2Die

Master member
That's some weird looking doculam you got there
You noticed? ;) When I restored the "One Nite" I covered it with tissue; first tissue job in 45 years. I really enjoyed the task though I had to strip and re-cover the wing and tail feathers a number of times until I got the hang of it. I enjoy working with tissue a lot more than iron-on film.

Top side of the wing. I knew I couldn't cover the wing tip with a single piece of dry tissue without getting crows feet wrinkles around the edges. So I wanted to see how much this tissue stretches when damp. I applied the glue stick around the outside. Then I misted the paper very lightly with water, just enough to make it sag. It worked! I very gently pulled the tissue taut over the outer rib. When the tissue started to shrink before I had it perfectly smooth I lightly sprayed it again. Working slowly and very carefully the tissue wrapped around the wingtip without any wrinkles.

IMG_1997crop.jpg

Top of the main section of the wing, covered and prior to wetting and shrinking.

IMG_1999crop.jpg

Completed wing. No wrinkles.

IMG_2003crop.jpg

I am very worried I will accidentally puncture this before the first flight. :cry:
Jon

TooJung2Die

Master member
Since there's no way to mask tissue without damage you have little choice but to free-hand paint. I kept it simple with all straight lines. Next step is to assemble it into an airplane!

IMG_2018.JPG

I used monofilament fish line for the rudder hinges. The rudders are balsa sheet and I didn't want to use tape hinges. Fish line works well, not as floppy as Tyvek, but it is too hard to slot 1/16" balsa for Tyvek CA hinges.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Since there's no way to mask tissue without damage you have little choice but to free-hand paint. I kept it simple with all straight lines. Next step is to assemble it into an airplane!

View attachment 168931

I used monofilament fish line for the rudder hinges. They're only 1/16" thick and I didn't want to use tape hinges. Fish line works well, not as floppy as Tyvek, but I doubt I can slot 1/16" balsa.
It looks super sweet! How are you hooking up the twin rudders? (You probably said earlier and I missed it...)

TooJung2Die

Master member
It looks super sweet! How are you hooking up the twin rudders?
Thanks!
This is how the rudders are controlled.

IMG_2020crop.jpg

IMG_2019crop.jpg

The individual rudders are a bit on the small side but combined there should be enough rudder authority. Aerobatics are not planned, this is basically a powered glider. The elevator is hinged with Tyvek, there is enough wood thickness for CA hinge slots.

Jon

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Thanks!
This is how the rudders are controlled.

View attachment 169018

View attachment 169019

The individual rudders are a bit on the small side but combined there should be enough rudder authority. Aerobatics are not planned, this is basically a powered glider.

Jon
Clever! Though I think I would have made it a little more discreet by putting the rod that goes between the two rudders on the underside of the elevator, and then control the rudders via their own very small torsion rods that extended below the horizontal stabilizer inside of the rudder. Your solution is probably lighter than that though.