Willy Nilles "Jr. Skylark 250" Beta Kit Build and Flight

TooJung2Die

Master member
That's a great looking build man. I went through the thread and you can really tell you have a good eye for detail. The covering looks amazing man, whens the maiden vid getting posted?

Thanks, Chris! I'll post some video as soon as I get it edited down to something watchable. That means ...
She Flies!
I took her out yesterday for the maiden flight. Windy, wet and cold but I couldn't wait to fly her. As I suspected, she's sensitive to control input even with low throws and a ton of expo thrown in. It's right at the upper limit of my piloting skill level. A better pilot would really be able to make this airplane dance. I was happy to get it back down in one piece. 😁 I got some snap shots from the field.

vlcsnap-2020-10-13-18h39m35s763 crop.jpg

Two times the fun, Willy Nillies Jr. Skylark 250 and Eaglet 250.

IMG_2522crop.jpg

When landing on grass the Eaglet always flips over. So far the Skylark has landed on it's feet every time!
Jon

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks, Chris! I'll post some video as soon as I get it edited down to something watchable. That means ...
She Flies!
I took her out yesterday for the maiden flight. Windy, wet and cold but I couldn't wait to fly her. As I suspected, she's sensitive to control input even with low throws and a ton of expo thrown in. It's right at the upper limit of my piloting skill level. A better pilot would really be able to make this airplane dance. I was happy to get it back down in one piece. 😁 I got some snap shots from the field.

View attachment 181023

Double trouble.

View attachment 181024

When landing on grass the Eaglet always flips over. So far the Skylark has landed on it's feet every time!
Jon
How do you like flying the high wing? Which model is it? Is it 3 channel?

TooJung2Die

Master member
Elevator rate seems like more than enough :ROFLMAO: Good flight!
That's for sure! Those are the kind of things you discover on the maiden flight. That first loop surprised me. The roll immediately following that was totally unintended and unexpected. 😲 I'll have her dialed in how I like it pretty quick. I know everyone rolls their eyes every time they hear it but after four flights I haven't touched the trim yet. 👍

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
OUCH! 😖

Skylark crash.jpg

The damage is remarkably minor considering the steep angle at which it hit. Right after I connected the battery the ESC played its reset tones a second time. Bad battery connection so I re-connected the battery. After a several minutes into the flight I had no throttle. I thought the battery was low. Then I noticed I had no stick control either! 😲 All I could do was watch helplessly as she glided on her own for a bit then 1/4 rolled and hit.

IMG_2525.JPG

The crash was caused by a bad battery to ESC connection; one of those red JST connectors you put together by crimping the pins on the wire. I chopped it off and soldered on a new manufactured connector. After repairing the nose the crack was visible so I covered it up with some white trim like a bandaid.

IMG_2536.JPG

You'd never know she took a hit. She's flown a few times since the accident. Moral: if something doesn't seem right don't fly until you figure out the trouble and it's fixed.
Jon

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I love the new "swoosh" on the nose too! :)
Thanks! You're the second person to call it the "swoosh"! Any resemblance to Nike is completely unintentional. 😁

Looks great Jon! These are pretty tough little planes as you found out.
No doubt! I was very surprised at how little damage there was, especially after what the wing suffered. I think making leading edge solid with no holes was a big reason it absorbed the hit without breaking. It also proves the shear webs are not necessary.

The Jr. Skylark is slightly lighter than the Eaglet, just a little under 7 ounces. I think because light weight airplanes have less inertia they get less damage in a crash.

Jon

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The Jr. Skylark is slightly lighter than the Eaglet, just a little under 7 ounces. I think because light weight airplanes have less inertia they get less damage in a crash.

For sure - I keep thinking of an interview I read ages ago with Pat Trittle where he talked about the difference between building to crash vs building to fly. The lighter it is, the less energy it has arriving at the crash site, and the slower it can fly generally reducing the crash speed too.

Sadly, building to fly has a bad influence on resisting hanger rash from fumble fingers... (ask me how I know... :cry: )