1mm Music Wire

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
As I prepare to build my first of the swappables, I started to gather everything I would need for the build. When it came to finding the 1mm wire for the servo linkages I hit a bit of a brickwall. I figured since it was referred to as "music wire" I would try the local music stores here in town...2 of them...neither had anyhting like what I needed. So I went to a Michael's craft store...nothing. Next came an ACO hardware...yeah, good luck with that. Then it was time for the local Hobby Lobby. Not an RC store but a great place to find low priced paints and some useful bits. I did manage to score 40% off a $200.00 Iwata Eclipse airbrush, though. But still no "music wire". On the return trip home from Hobby Lobby I decided to try the local Do-it Center hardware store. I told the guy there, who I've talked to for years, what I was looking for. He said, "Last aisle, all the way down, on the right, knee high rack, can't miss it". He added, "We always carry that stuff, you wouldn't believe some of the things people use it for".
It figures. I spent about 90 minutes, went to some places twice thinking I missed it the first time, only to find it literally 1/4 mile from my front door, in the closest possible of all the places that I looked at.

Moral of the story...Do not underestimate the local hardware store. I got 12ft (4 pcs x 3 ft) of the "music wire", and thats what it says right on the label, for $3.17 out the door. I used more than that in gas driving all over town looking in the wrong places.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yeah it can be tough to find. My local Michaels doesn't carry it and either do any of my local hardware stores. Well, they have a rack for music wire but never have the sizes I need and they don't know when they'll get any more :(

A number of people have suggested the little flags used to mark sprinklers on lawns as an alternative. But thankfully we finally got a hobby store in town and he stocks it for the same price you paid. Only problem is going in there and not being tempted to blow my budget on other stuff :D

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Yeah it can be tough to find. My local Michaels doesn't carry it and either do any of my local hardware stores. Well, they have a rack for music wire but never have the sizes I need and they don't know when they'll get any more :(

A number of people have suggested the little flags used to mark sprinklers on lawns as an alternative. But thankfully we finally got a hobby store in town and he stocks it for the same price you paid. Only problem is going in there and not being tempted to blow my budget on other stuff :D

HA HA I hear yeah on the budget thing. It seems the owners of the hobby shops know and even count on the fact that rc pilots have very little self-control. :O We see something we like, we buy it.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
The local, mom and pop hardware stores can be amazing places!

I couldn't agree more.The nearest hobby shop to me that stocks airplane stuff is over a 40 minute drive with no traffic. That's a long way to go if you can get a different product that does the same job and you can walk there to get it. That's what is so great about these swappables. Other than your electronics you can build the entire thing with products from the Dollar Tree and a hardware store.
A BIG Thank You to Josh Bixler and David for their dedication and his inspiration in creating this series and to Chad for giving them the creative freedom to do it.