1st Time Balsa Build, MM Tom-E-Boy 150

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks for the help Joe. I am currently getting an order together now for sand and filler, etc. Joker I plan on covering fuse in a dark color so it should cover. Im thinking ahead since I am putting an order together, cover iron and heat gun recommendations, or any thing else you think I will need? Thanks again

I've had a ton of cheap covering irons. I finally bit the bullet and spent the extra for the 21st Century iron. Best money I ever spent. Super fast heat up, dead accurate temp control and with a covering sock you'll get perfect covering jobs every time. I've had decent luck with cheapo heat guns though.

If you do decide to use transparent, Krylon DUAL satin Ivory paint is almost a perfect match for balsa color. Even on undamaged areas I sometimes use a light fog as it really helps adhesion. A lot of old timers use hair spray. Works kind of like Balsarite.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I usually use balsa-colored filler when using transparent film. It's not invisible since there is no grain, but it's close enough for government work.

My iron and heat gun have been following me around for over 30 years, and finally started getting used about 4 years ago when I got bit bad by the RC bug. If you plan to keep building and covering, investing in good quality iron/gun are a solid investment. Or if money is tight go cheap and plan to upgrade some day. Either way, you win!

TTF

PHD in Crashology!
Many years ago I had similar problems with my S-TEE which is a similar construct to what this thread is about. After a pit incident I had a hole punched in the fuselage side. Following the recommendations of others I cut the hole larger and rectangular in shape. Using a bit of scrap cut to the dimensions of the hole I glued in a patch and when the glue was dry I sanded it smooth and recovered it.

Many crashes later the patch was still effective and undisturbed.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ill take a look and see if I could do that. Like I said Im all about suggestions at this point. Thanks