Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sig Kadet Seniorita

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

basslord1124

Master member
So after a year or so of contemplating and procrastinating I am going to go forward and pick up a balsa kit to put together. I just feel it's time. The pandemic has made this a crappy year for obvious reasons...work life and personal life has been busy... and I just haven't been foamboard building as of recent. So figured I just needed a change and to try something I haven't tackled yet.

So I've been eyeballing some cubs/high wings as I think that'd be a safe starting point. I can fly em so less chance of catastrophe... plus I like Cubs. So here are my choices:

Mountain Models J3 Cub
http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=472

Mountain Models Tyro or Tyro 150
http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=464
http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=479

Sig Kadet Mark II
https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-kits/products/sig-kadet-mark-ii-kit

Sig Kadet Seniorita
https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-kits/products/sig-kadet-seniorita-kit

Trying to keep the budget around $100-$150ish, so I won't be out too terrible if tragedy happens. I looked at some of the other easier manufacturers (Steven's Aero and Laines) and none of their models jumped out at me. Mountain Models seemed good though. I also want a reasonable size so I won't have to battle the wind too much.

I do have some experience with balsa ARFs so not too new to balsa...but more new to the building process (although I have watched a few videos, etc). I'm super patient so I'm totally ok if it doesn't go together as quickly as an FT foam model (shoot sometimes it takes me a while to do an FT model). Like FT I'll be sticking with electric power.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Tyro 150 all the way for me. I have two of them, one being a pre-production prototype I got directly from Mike Molt the original designer. I also have two Tyro "100's". One of the 100's and both of the 150's have been modded for flaps even though they don't need them. I made the mods just because it was so bloody simple. 50+ aircraft in my hangar and the Tyro 150 is my absolute favorite of all of them. The only problem is that Brian (Mountain Models) has been out of touch for a while and kit shipping has been spotty. I've known Brian for years. this just isn't like him......

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I also have the MM Cub and it is a beauty. Awesome scale outline and flies so slow and gentle. Any of your choices will suit you. I've built several Sig kits and they rock. The Kadet was designed for glow power and will come out heavy (I have a kit) unless you replace a lot of the wood. The Senorita makes a great electric conversion though.

Joe

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Try Willy Nilles. You could build an Eaglet with 3 functions and build the wing with the most dihedral. They go together so quick and easy too. Plus Doug hangs around here quite a lot and will usually respond to questions quickly if summoned.

TooJung2Die

Master member
👍 for the Willy Nillies kits. They are a very good choice for a first time builder. For a first build keep it simple. High wing, boxy fuselage and flat bottom airfoil wing make building, finishing and flying easier. Out of your choices the Tyro fits the bill. I'd avoid scale models like the Cub because scale details complicate the build. You don't want to get discouraged on your first balsa build.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hey buddy it seems we have the same kind of timing for the transition to balsa. I too have been doing some research into the balsa side and have ordered myself a kit that should be here in a week or so. I ordered the Herr's Pitt Special
00406fce2c5e92ab635769d681b81838.jpg
This little guy, 30" wingspan. From watching vids on it, it seems to be much like the FT Baby Blender. Which is the kind of flying I can handle, and I already have the electronics for it in the collection. I was looking into the WN kits for getting into it but I figured by the time I buy all the electronics for it I am into it for almost $200. And then even if i stretch out the build, have it done in a couple days... Nah, i wanted something that would take longer and more involved. Something I could take my time with.

I was looking at all the SIG stuff but there is almost no inventory anywhere and to get a plane like the Four Star 20 to me in Canada was already $200 with shipping and handling. This Pitts was the only kit I could find in Canada that is the actual retail price and will come in a reasonable time frame without the shipping charges. The Pitts was actually my third choice but i am glad I got my hands on something.

I am guessing, because you are a patient guy, that you are kinda looking for the same. Something that you can take your time with, learn some skills, and enjoy at the end. Thats why I went this direction.

I will be following this for sure and I am as excited as you are to see where this goes.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hey buddy it seems we have the same kind of timing for the transition to balsa. I too have been doing some research into the balsa side and have ordered myself a kit that should be here in a week or so. I ordered the Herr's Pitt Special
View attachment 182879
This little guy, 30" wingspan. From watching vids on it, it seems to be much like the FT Baby Blender. Which is the kind of flying I can handle, and I already have the electronics for it in the collection. I was looking into the WN kits for getting into it but I figured by the time I buy all the electronics for it I am into it for almost $200. And then even if i stretch out the build, have it done in a couple days... Nah, i wanted something that would take longer and more involved. Something I could take my time with.

I was looking at all the SIG stuff but there is almost no inventory anywhere and to get a plane like the Four Star 20 to me in Canada was already $200 with shipping and handling. This Pitts was the only kit I could find in Canada that is the actual retail price and will come in a reasonable time frame without the shipping charges. The Pitts was actually my third choice but i am glad I got my hands on something.

I am guessing, because you are a patient guy, that you are kinda looking for the same. Something that you can take your time with, learn some skills, and enjoy at the end. Thats why I went this direction.

I will be following this for sure and I am as excited as you are to see where this goes.

Awesome!

Now where's the build thread? :p

Quinlan Sauter

View attachment 182879

oh my, that looks amazing!!!!!!!! sure would like a build thread!!!!!!!!!

basslord1124

Master member
Here's a Tyro 150 kit at a killer price! LINK. I've dealt with Wes (1987tc) many times over the years and he's a great trader. Jump on this quick or it'll be gone. Tell him Turbojoe sent you....

Joe

I did send a message even though the thread's already closed. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Thanks for the replies so far. I will definitely include a build thread when I build mine. Lol. If I end up getting this Tyro I still may pick up one of those Sig kits as well just for the transition in the type of building. But I'll see if I score this Tyro first.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did send a message even though the thread's already closed. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Thanks for the replies so far. I will definitely include a build thread when I build mine. Lol. If I end up getting this Tyro I still may pick up one of those Sig kits as well just for the transition in the type of building. But I'll see if I score this Tyro first.
Its seems to be the same here too man. Like kits are hard commodities now. Especially on the new retail market. I am seeing a lot more sold on the used market then is available for retail. Its nuts

Willy Nillies

Elite member
I was looking into the WN kits for getting into it but I figured by the time I buy all the electronics for it I am into it for almost $200.

That's way off our friend. Most of our kits can be finished with all new parts and receiver for less that $110. Even with shipping to Canada you are only looking at about $20 shipping.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Mr.Grinch

I had a kadet senior as my first build on my own (many years ago) and some aspects were challenging, especially getting the stick built sides to match and align correctly, but it was quite rewarding and a great learning experience. I still have it in storage waiting for a few modifications and electric conversion.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I also want a reasonable size so I won't have to battle the wind too much. I'll be sticking with electric power.

The above quote is the only reason I didn't immediately recommend Willy Nillies kits. Sure they'll fly in wind but the ones I have are so much more fun to fly in calm conditions. Same with the MM Cub. I learned when I maidened my Cub that with that huge wing and super light wing loading that it gets bounced around pretty bad in even light winds. It's an uncomplicated build and comes out looking like a display model though. I'll post a pic of mine.....

If I were to do another Kadet for the few dollars more I'd skip right to the Kadet Senior and add ailerons. I'm still kicking myself for selling the kit I had. :cry:

Joe

Joe
Cub-side.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
The above quote is the only reason I didn't immediately recommend Willy Nillies kits. Sure they'll fly in wind but the ones I have are so much more fun to fly in calm conditions. Same with the MM Cub. I learned when I maidened my Cub that with that huge wing and super light wing loading that it gets bounced around pretty bad in even light winds. It's an uncomplicated build and comes out looking like a display model though. I'll post a pic of mine.....

If I were to do another Kadet for the few dollars more I'd skip right to the Kadet Senior and add ailerons. I'm still kicking myself for selling the kit I had. :cry:

Joe

Joe View attachment 183016
That's a pretty plane! Except you don't solo a Cub from the front seat. ;)

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah...really seriously considering the Sig kits. The Senior looks promising but like you @Turbojoe I want ailerons. The only version I have seen is 3 channel. I'm not sure if they make it easy to convert to 4 channel.