200% Spitfire - Build Log

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Yea I have look at a few but sizing them to a plane confuses me and the price always makes me stop looking.

That is one way to make them but it would put a lot of force on the servo sense it does not have a way to lock in place. The servo would always be working to hold them from flopping out when flying and the leverage it would see from a landing would most likely strip gears in the servo. A design with a worm gear would be able to take the pressure... Hmm it seems as I type this I'm already thinking of a way to make my own, Thank you this has been helpful. We will see where this Idea goes.

Haha thats what i was going for( light buld above head). You would need larger metal gear servo around 17g to be strong and safe. As for size just remember the article was to normal 100% builds now just increase the size of the design by 200% to start with;)

I crashed my 200% spit today....the wing tip(area from bottom skin to wingtip) folded and caused it to crash.
i was in a hard(right) turn with about half power when the left wingtip just folded and she went straight down! so i guess i "flew her brains out!"
so i started building the next one,this time with balsa ailerons to add wing strength near the tip.
this is the motor setup i am using http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog...-p-328.html?osCsid=b1ssp3j7sv20lvg1qrr6c1ffu3
this motor is plenty enough to fly a full sized telemaster with a 6s (65.00)
my plane came in at 7 Lbs and floated like a trainer
big planes (200%) are all i will fly from now on!
they are much easier to build and finish.
i hardly take any pictures, so i dont have any,but 200% is the way to go!
P.S. cheap yardsticks ( ACE hardware $1.00)cut at the dihedral angle and glued with ablut a 3" overlap and glued to the back of the foam spar offer plenty of re-enforcement.
Blue Skies

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey Zap! Thanks for telling us about your crash. I've been thinking they were too weak also. On my normal size builds I reinforce the wingtips with skewers and it works great. I'll definitely do the same on my 200 before maiden.

BanditJacksRC

Hey Zap! Thanks for telling us about your crash. I've been thinking they were too weak also. On my normal size builds I reinforce the wingtips with skewers and it works great. I'll definitely do the same on my 200 before maiden.

You have an ETA for the maiden...? I'v gotta see that vid.
This build is amazing by the way. Awesome job man, this bird is effin' sweet!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Not yet but I figured out the best way to finish my landing gear. That was really holding me up so if it stops raining around here maybe in the next few weeks I'll get to maiden her.

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
Im still designing my landing gear, what size wheels should I be looking at for this plane?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm not going for scale, I've got tall grass to land in. I'll be making 4.5 inch diameter wheels out of foam.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Update - 200% FT Spitfire project terminated
Hey guys I wanted to let you know that I will no longer be working on this project. I hadn't discovered the bad hot glue and ruined batch of DTFB until long after my 200 Spit was being built. Sadly this glue and foam is what was used in my build.

Upon revisiting my build a little bit ago I discovered that much of my tail feathers paper had de-laminated and part of the wing had broken loose. As this bird is much larger and heavier than anything I've flown before, and knowing that I've already had normal FT planes fall apart from the bad glue, I just don't want to chance this one. There is no way to really salvage the build without simply starting over. At this time I will not be starting over but I'm not done with large planes just yet. I do have planned a 250% nnChipmunk sometime in the future :)

Thanks to all that followed this thread, it was a fun challenge and I'm excited for my next monster build.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Sorry to hear that Nic.:( I am building a 150% FT Spit as you know, I got a bad batch of foam as well, luckily I caught it before I started building. All I did was take the paper off, did some bracing inside the fuse, and I used foam for the turtle decks, it added a TON of strength.:D

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
Ya that's a bummer. Well at least next time you can try the rosin paper and polycrylic. Its too bad we don't live closer or I would offer to help. would be nice to have a few of them flying at FF2015

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sorry to hear that Nic.:( I am building a 150% FT Spit as you know, I got a bad batch of foam as well, luckily I caught it before I started building. All I did was take the paper off, did some bracing inside the fuse, and I used foam for the turtle decks, it added a TON of strength.:D

I found that ironing DTFB re attaches the paper, also!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Ya that's a bummer. Well at least next time you can try the rosin paper and polycrylic. Its too bad we don't live closer or I would offer to help. would be nice to have a few of them flying at FF2015

I think I'm going to do just that for my next one. Unfortunately I won't be able to bring any large planes to FF2015 as I'll likely being flying. I'm gonna try to bring one normal size 1100mm plane and maybe 2 smaller ones. We'll see.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
I think I'm going to do just that for my next one. Unfortunately I won't be able to bring any large planes to FF2015 as I'll likely being flying. I'm gonna try to bring one normal size 1100mm plane and maybe 2 smaller ones. We'll see.

The smaller ones are fun.

Simpson

Crazy Engineer

After I finish my spit, if does not have an abrupt meeting with the ground and manages to make it all the way to Fury Field still air worthy then keep an eye out for it. I would love to shake your hand and talk with you, plus you have an open invitation to the controls.

Good-luck on the next build.

-Nick Simpson