200% Spitfire - Build Log

aldalo

Alan
Hmm, that is a tad small battery. You might have issues getting enough weight forward. The spit is a pretty tail heavy design.

Thanks for the help. I had to add nose weight to my swappable Spitfire also.
I think I'll add plywood to the outside of foam at motor box , and bolt it through the sides.
Hope to maiden it at FliteFest !

imy

200% spitfire, auw

Am I not looking in the right spot? Has anyone from FT told how much the big spit weighs? Just finished mine this morning. Was aiming for 5 lbs. Retracts, spars, 4s, 1100 watt scorpion spinning 14/8.5 here at altitude. Came in @ 96 oz., 6 lbs plus a smidge. Wing load seems to be around scale to sport, but it's difficult to factor the undercamber tips.would be nice to have an official number.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Am I not looking in the right spot? Has anyone from FT told how much the big spit weighs? Just finished mine this morning. Was aiming for 5 lbs. Retracts, spars, 4s, 1100 watt scorpion spinning 14/8.5 here at altitude. Came in @ 96 oz., 6 lbs plus a smidge. Wing load seems to be around scale to sport, but it's difficult to factor the undercamber tips.would be nice to have an official number.

Hi friend. I've not seen them post any weight either. Mine will probably be a tad heavier than yours but still reasonable.

Neilyboy

Just wanted to say this thing is awesome!! Anxiously awaiting a maiden flight video!!
Nice work man!
Neil

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks man. I've been dragging my feet for so long on this one. I really need to get her finished..

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
What parts of the plane do I need to double up the foam for rigidity and such?

I know the elevator but what else?

Thanks,

C_E

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Elevator and vertical stabilizer, that's all FT has for doubled foam. The wing and fuse are fine with 1 sheet thickness but you must add a better spar. David crashed his 200% because the wing folded mid flight.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Elevator and vertical stabilizer, that's all FT has for doubled foam. The wing and fuse are fine with 1 sheet thickness but you must add a better spar. David crashed his 200% because the wing folded mid flight.

Thanks for that.

But I have no intentions of making it fly.
I'm just trying to kill time before school starts.

I guess I should add one just for transportation and such. Doesn't hurt.

C_E

aldalo

Alan

Mine weighs 7 pounds 1 ounce

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5065-275kv Brushless Outrunner Motor , HobbyKing 70A ESC 4A UBEC, Xoar 20 x 10 prop, 6 cell
4400 45c battery.

You can see it here. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?11875-200-Spitfire-Remaiden

I added a small plywood spar to the wing , but it still folded up some on third flight. ( needs major spar reinforcement)

Last edited:

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I just laid the paper wing out next to my 71" Extra 330 and it is about 10 inches longer.

Gonna compare the fuse next when I finish cutting it.

I thought the Extra was big when I got it...
Sheesh.

C_E

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Wow! Nerdnic ill have to build one of these one day. The woman might kill me it being so big but ah ill do it anyway ;)

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I'm watching the spitfire build video and they built the wings separate and then joined them together.

Is it easier to build it that way or to tape the wings together and then glue like the cruiser?

C_E

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm watching the spitfire build video and they built the wings separate and then joined them together.

Is it easier to build it that way or to tape the wings together and then glue like the cruiser?

C_E

If you add a real spar then it's not possible to do it like the build video.

jayz 84

Hey nerdnic after building and flying your nnChipmunk dont you think you would have rather built that one in 200% maybe more convincing the lady

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
Great cant wait to see it. I'm going to try reskining the foam board from one of the Articles, I happened to have a roll of red rosin paper sitting around so thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I would also like to design retracts into but I'm still so new into the hobby that I don't know what to even look for when it comes to landing gear.

jayz 84

Great cant wait to see it. I'm going to try reskining the foam board from one of the Articles, I happened to have a roll of red rosin paper sitting around so thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I would also like to design retracts into but I'm still so new into the hobby that I don't know what to even look for when it comes to landing gear.

Hi there Simpson. Retracts are a nice add on for these birds but they can be really pricey to buy. But there are nice ways to scratch build them for dirt cheap and work great. heres one idea that i know will work great. Ive done a few similar to it http://flitetest.com/articles/retractable-landing-gear

Simpson

Crazy Engineer
Hi there Simpson. Retracts are a nice add on for these birds but they can be really pricey to buy. But there are nice ways to scratch build them for dirt cheap and work great. heres one idea that i know will work great. Ive done a few similar to it http://flitetest.com/articles/retractable-landing-gear

Yea I have look at a few but sizing them to a plane confuses me and the price always makes me stop looking.

That is one way to make them but it would put a lot of force on the servo sense it does not have a way to lock in place. The servo would always be working to hold them from flopping out when flying and the leverage it would see from a landing would most likely strip gears in the servo. A design with a worm gear would be able to take the pressure... Hmm it seems as I type this I'm already thinking of a way to make my own, Thank you this has been helpful. We will see where this Idea goes.