200% Spitfire - Build Log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'd go with a 1000mah RX battery at least. The servos you linked are power hungry little beasties.

I've only used an ESC that had a BEC at this point so I'm not sure how to best approach needing additional power for servos. If I have a 1000mah battery would I still run it through an external BEC or just go straight into the receiver? I guess my overall question is if I'm using a second RX battery, do I still need a BEC or is the BEC normally tied back into the main battery?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Run the aux battery through a 5 amp+ BEC, and pull the red wire from the ESC to the receiver. That should work nicely with about a 1 amp to spare over the max servo draw.

I hope this helps, I've never been quite so ambitious with a project like this!:D

Great job so far!

EraJomppa

RC Enthusiast
This will be my first really big plane but I have made 1300 and 1500 size before. That motor would have plenty of power but it's too high kv. The things you want to keep in mind are prop size and thrust. A DTFB plane is going to be a lot lighter than any RTF kit so you don't need nearly the thrust but you still need a big prop to get air around your fuse. For a 1500mm I would not go smaller than a 12" prop, which at 3S puts you probably around 1000kv and 8-900 kv for 4S. You'll want a motor in the 600w range that can swing a 12" prop for pretty decent scooting around. 800-1000w would give you sport performance.

This is the motor I'm using for my 1500mm Corsair with 4S and a 12x6 APC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0KV_815W_US_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=Ntm 900

EDIT
After looking at some of the test data in the comments a 12x6 on 3S seems to work with the motor you linked. So I'd say go for it!

That is very encouraging to hear.

Yea, I know the reason for wanting to use a bigger prop. The plan would be, as you described, to use 3s (2x 2200 mAh in parallel) and swing a 11" or maybe 12" (I got a lot of 11x5.5 props around). But I'd much rather use a bigger 650 kv motor with a 4s and 14" prop. A bit slower prop speed and more thrust (rather than more prop speed and less trust like the 1300kv motor), it would bring more scale like qualities to the flight and slow things down a bit and give more thrust rather than top speed when you need to get out of a bad situation.

Thanks, back to the topic :p

I'v seen people use as big as 2200 mAh receiver batteries on big planes. But that might be overkill :p
I just personally don't like to hassle with 2 batteries and I try to use a big BEC for example when I use more servos. Also for FPV stuff I rather take the servo voltage and boost it to 12 V rather than use a separate battery (or separate BEC) for the FPV gear. But I haven't really build anything this big so different kind of forces might be in play.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Run the aux battery through a 5 amp+ BEC, and pull the red wire from the ESC to the receiver. That should work nicely with about a 1 amp to spare over the max servo draw.

I hope this helps, I've never been quite so ambitious with a project like this!:D

Great job so far!

Thanks! Normally I wouldn't take on something like this either but I figured why not!

I'll need to order some more batteries as I only have the 350mah 2S shown in the photo. Do you think it's just an issue of the battery draining too fast? They should be able to put out enough amps.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That is very encouraging to hear.

Yea, I know the reason for wanting to use a bigger prop. The plan would be, as you described, to use 3s (2x 2200 mAh in parallel) and swing a 11" or maybe 12" (I got a lot of 11x5.5 props around). But I'd much rather use a bigger 650 kv motor with a 4s and 14" prop. A bit slower prop speed and more thrust (rather than more prop speed and less trust like the 1300kv motor), it would bring more scale like qualities to the flight and slow things down a bit and give more thrust rather than top speed when you need to get out of a bad situation.

Thanks, back to the topic :p

I'v seen people use as big as 2200 mAh receiver batteries on big planes. But that might be overkill :p
I just personally don't like to hassle with 2 batteries and I try to use a big BEC for example when I use more servos. Also for FPV stuff I rather take the servo voltage and boost it to 12 V rather than use a separate battery (or separate BEC) for the FPV gear. But I haven't really build anything this big so different kind of forces might be in play.

I think an 11 will still work if that's what you already have available. For my BEC battery I could use a big one if needed, I am thinking the plane will sit around 8lbs or so and my motor puts out 16lbs of thrust so I have a little wiggle room for these extras. I guess I just need to figure out what kind of servo/RX run time I would get out of the difference mah capacities to see where I want to land. But I have no idea how to figure that out.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
i would give it some more reinforcement on the wing after what happened to David's 200% spit

I agree, he was just running doubled up foam spars. Do you think the addition of the aluminum spar is not enough? I run a scaled down version of this on my other planes and the wing has 0 flex, it's crazy strong.

Don_D

Are the plans still available? Clicked the link in the first post and Dropbox responded the file could not be found or was moved or deleted.

Found the plans and downloaded the 8 pdf's.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Are the plans still available? Clicked the link in the first post and Dropbox responded the file could not be found or was moved or deleted.

Found the plans and downloaded the 8 pdf's.

Sorry about that, I'm not sure what happened but I have updated the plans link.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I don't think it came with one. I just eyeballed it and called it good. I've built many Spitfires ranging from a lot to no dihedral and to be honest.. they all flew the same. But the ones with extra dihedral looked funny in the air so I fly now with very little dihedral on both my full sized an 800mm Spitfire.

aldalo

Alan
So here's my Monster Spitfire
I'm concerned about the way I've mounted the motor. Do you think it's too far foward ? ( David's build, motor is behind
the firewall - in the box ) I'm worried about the CG
IMG_20140721_103537.jpg IMG_20140721_103604.jpg

I don't have the motor box mounted to the fuse yet. Motor weighs appx. 220 grams

Thanks, Alan

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
If you can move the motor box deeper into the fuse I would, this will help protect it a little. I wouldn't worry about balance as much, though. What size battery are you using?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hmm, that is a tad small battery. You might have issues getting enough weight forward. The spit is a pretty tail heavy design.