2017/2018 Balsa Build Along Dare/Brodak DC-3

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
congrats on it flying well.

On the takeoff stall, was it pilot error or is the airplane underpowered? I remember there was some discussion earlier about whether the motors would generate enough lift, and if that was a contributing factor, are you going to upgrade?

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
It was a bit of both. It required a pretty shallow climb out due to the low power. On the second takeoff I was expecting it to jump into the air (because all of the other planes I've flown do that) and so I pulled the elevator back a little too hard. As it stalled on takeoff, it rolled to the right. I was able to roll it back to the left and get the nose level as it hit the ground so it actually hit on the wheels level and was moving forward. I continued with power as it bounced up but I still had the elevator back and was rolling left and so when it bounced, it rolled hard left and stalled again. I was once again able to get the wheels under it as it came down the second time and this time I cut the throttle knowing that I was giving up on flight and keeping it on the ground.

The impacts to the wheels were pretty severe and that broke the left mounting plate and cause both props to strike the ground. The ground strikes broke both motor mounts. The right motor nacelle is smashed pretty good and the gear mounting plate is broken beyond repair. I'll have to cut away the nacelle and wing sheeting to replace it. The left nacelle is still in decent shape but I may beef up the gear mounting plate on it as well if I'm already cutting in on the other side.

I plan to explore options for more power. I can get more power on the same motors by going with a 7x5 APC 2 blade. Slightly more powerful motors would allow me to cruise at half throttle and give "more than scale power" at WOT for when I need it.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
good analysis and attitude!

As my father always used to say, there is nothing more useless than the runway behind you, the altitude above out, or the power you left in the hanger.

You can rebuild it, you have the technology....

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Any update on repair and gear modification/reinforcement? This a great flyer, hope to see it in the air again soon.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I haven't had the energy or motivation. I'll have to almost rebuild the wing and, well, I'm just not into it at the moment.

I'm staying distracted with static plastic scale kits and a package of WRFB I got for Christmas.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That happened with me on a couple planes. A ton of time and energy was expended building them, followed by repairable crashes, but no motivation to touch that plane again. They're sitting off to the side waiting for their time again.

Ripa51

You have made very interesting posting of the Dare Design DC-3 building.
I have also started the building of that balsa plane.
I am doing some things different, for instance I am making retractable main gear with shock-absorbing struts for operation from a variety of surfaces including grass. I have an idea how to do this a'little easily.
I'll take some pictures, when I have something for working right.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Also, make sure you think about the power package for motors and batteries as the setup in this build thread was a tad low on energy. It flew very scale like, but it could have used more power for takeoffs as a safety margin.