36" Northern Pike - 3D Printed Cuda Clone (It Flies & STL's are Posted!)

Keno

Been following this thread for a while and looking for your recommend “CG” location. Awesome build. I noted how it flies and I have the same experience with similar designs. New Idea, “X” wing version it would add an interesting twist to your design. The “X” wing would have more wing for lift, but it would detract from the speed component. Go for, it would be an interesting adventure.

JGplanes

I finally finished my maiden video. Unfortunately the plane is still on the bench until I can afford a replacement motor, which is a big bummer, since it's probably my favorite in the fleet at this point. Enjoy!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Been following this thread for a while and looking for your recommend “CG” location. Awesome build. I noted how it flies and I have the same experience with similar designs. New Idea, “X” wing version it would add an interesting twist to your design. The “X” wing would have more wing for lift, but it would detract from the speed component. Go for, it would be an interesting adventure.

Heh. Would fly fine. Landing geometry and strength would be a bit of a pain though, you'd really need gear.

I finally finished my maiden video. Unfortunately the plane is still on the bench until I can afford a replacement motor, which is a big bummer, since it's probably my favorite in the fleet at this point. Enjoy!

Yeah, I bet whatever torque you were feeling was from the motor wobbling around on the melted mount. Is the motor actually dead or did you just start to cook the winding? If it still works I'd be running it until it doesn't anymore. Just stick with 5 inch props on the 2750kv. :D

Keno

Ya I agree, my X-wing has gear and they are longer than I like but on the other hand it sure fun to land and go again. Beautiful work on your creation.

jaredstrees

Got the maiden in today. Wow she flies nice. And I know you said she glides well. I just didn’t get HOW well. After my third aborted landing attempt I theirs to pull up to avoid a fence and just didn’t have enough power. The crash was fantastic. Foam board just doesn’t crash the same. Got another printing right now and expect this one to be even better! Thanks again!

7E41F947-42F6-4D8E-8D24-AA301D0B2571.jpeg
257F6EB2-0E7D-48D5-8FA9-7F93F305DB67.jpeg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got the maiden in today. Wow she flies nice. And I know you said she glides well. I just didn’t get HOW well. After my third aborted landing attempt I theirs to pull up to avoid a fence and just didn’t have enough power. The crash was fantastic. Foam board just doesn’t crash the same. Got another printing right now and expect this one to be even better! Thanks again!

Doh! I assume you hit the fence? :D It's actually pretty intact if that's the case lol.

It can certainly be a bit of a change going from a Flite Test plane to something a bit heavier and far slicker like this thing. Flite Test planes are stop and go. Let go of the throttle, and they slow down really fast. The pike keeps it's momentum a lot longer, which can be a lot of fun in the air, just takes adjusting from the usual foamboard landing approach. Glad you had fun with it for one flight and least and it didn't discourage you from printing another.

You can't beat foamboard for durability, but I've yet to fly any foam plane (board or otherwise) that's as smooth in the air as this thing is.

Grauwulf

I printed one of the wing tips today after finally getting the latest version of Cura to mostly play nice for me. The outer layers don't look too bad, but the inner structure leaves a little to be desired. I'm guessing I'm going to have to mess with the retraction settings?

Any suggestions?

20181118_000005[1].jpg

Headbang

Master member
So Photo001 finished his, and I got to maiden a few months back. I like this bird! The setup I flew was on a C pack motor, needed WOT the whole time to keep it in the air. But it was fun!

I am hoping I get another chance at this one, maybe I will donate a motor, esc, prop combo to get it over 100mph!

Last edited:

lecrote

Hi Localfiend.
really cool design

I really want to learn that design proccess as far I bought my 3d printer for this.
Right now I'm printing 3dlabprint plane to get used to the 3d printing world.
I did design some basic shape in sketchup.
I already design a super decathlon 120 in sketchup to build it with Flitetest buid technique.

so the question is.
How to design the spar and lithening hole in it?
it's the only thing that I need to figure!

Thanks

Mav68erick

Well out of boredom I started to do some test prints of this plane. I did 2 3Dlab Spitfires before and had mixed results, mainly printed like crap with Makergeeks filament, but got 2 planes done. Got new 3D solutech and got my settings dialed in for my CR10 mini, and the prints look amazing. Before I had Major zitts, under extrution or over extrution on the inner spars. I had to modify all the Retract settings etc.

Also I dont want to use the Helper Discs, Its easier to just turn Brim on 3-4 line widths and put .14 to .16 distance away from the part. it keeps the wing down when its warm but when its done easily seperates.

I also cant use the Factory files, so Now i have to create my own as per my settings which isnt bad, I think mainly the Vert Stabs and wing tips and one piece of the fuselage have different layer heights and top layers to make them look more astetically pleasing.

I started to print parts to build a prusa Clone as I have 3 ender 2 prints but parts are too big for them, so Instead I just ordered an ender 3 Pro since its 220x220x250 and plan on ordering a 2nd just to have 3 printers churning out parts and the enders for small jobs.

Also cool build, I like the wing build up Dove tail! and the hatch on top. Im to afraid of flyingg my spit fire and after 60 hours of printing nad build time I dont wanna crash it, so it hangs on the wall

Mav68erick

I printed one of the wing tips today after finally getting the latest version of Cura to mostly play nice for me. The outer layers don't look too bad, but the inner structure leaves a little to be desired. I'm guessing I'm going to have to mess with the retraction settings?

Any suggestions?

View attachment 118770

prolly retraction and restart settings, also dont print to fast. nozzle may also be clogging. also Make sure to at least z hop around .4 to .6mm, on my test prints I was getting hersey kisses bumps on my inner parts, and on the wall part nozzle would hit them and bump it. had to lower extrude multiplier on first layers lower on my double walls

Mav68erick

I dunno why but seems im printing SUPER SLOW, I modded and dialed in the factory file and saved to a new one speciafically for my CR 10 Mini, and just put together an Ender 3

im at 70% of 60mm sec which is I believe 42mm a sec. watching the printer looks like its actually moving like 10-15mm a second on the outer wall.

im at 5hrs 45mins on Wing Section I believe 5 and looks like its only 80% done, Does that seem right? Feels like my first test prints to dial the printer in went faster. The layer adhesion is awesome and prints look excellent, previously I forgot I had it set to 80% on test print and bumped my Printer knob to 110% and had bad layer adhesion ( but also had to bump up prime after retraction ) Ive scanned over all the Tabs in s3d And cant seem to find anything I changed that over rides the speed

OMG I feel so Dumb! I found it, somehow I changed the Layer time from 15 Seconds, to 45!! So it was forcing every layer to run at 30% thats 18mm a SEC, Im hoping going back to default doesnt effect my quailty cuz man looks great that slow lol.

its over a 2hr Suggested print time difference when post processing, also I wonder due to the slower speed if thats the reason my test print is 2grams lighter per wing section then my final go ahead print wing.

Last edited:

thatjoshguy

I'm finishing up my build this weekend, but after having seen so many 3d printed motor mounts fail on quads I was a little nervous to trust one in a plane. I hope @localfiend doesn't mind, but I created a remix of his motor mount to accommodate a wooden firewall - it's up on Thingiverse if anyone wants to give it a shot. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm going to use it on my build. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3574710

JonahEaster

I'm fairly familiar with 3d printers (5ish years of experience) and have been wanting to 3d print a plane for a while now, but I was just waiting for a good design as I'm not great at CAD. I just found this and will be printing one over the next couple weeks, and hopefully have it done by Joe Nall. Has anyone put lights in theirs? I plan on attempting to put some in mine

bracesport

Legendary member
@localfiend - just picked up this thread today - impressive - I've been running 'onshape' for a while and have been loving the 3D printing of plane parts - I have an 'UPBOX' 3D printer and have been using graphine enhanced PLA and also some PC with good results - what filament are you running for the plane?

IcedStorm777

@localfiend could i get the STL files for the smaller one that was designed for a motor this size? Would it still be really fast? What am i looking at for weight of print and print time?

beebrain

Hi, everyone.
I am trying to slice the wing without infill. But I don't have spars inside the wing. I use CURA is a slicer.
I set infill density to zero.
wall line count to one.
and no top and bottom layers.
Layer height is 0.2

please suggest me.

2019-06-16_18-27-04.jpg