3D printer plane and the Aura 5 Lite

navillus5

The prints are coming out okay so I will probably keep going and build the Eclipson Model A.
However, since I am a new pilot, I am pretty sure that all my work would be for naught after my first flight :)
So - I was wondering what is the concensus on using a flight contoller? I have been building an flying drones for a couple of years and the flight controller is the heart of the system. From reading through the forum, I get the impression that not many pilots include a flight controller in their builds.

I supposed there may be a bias against using one because most pilots want to actually fly their planes. That being said - would a flight controller help a newbie get their planes in the air and allow them to get used to controling the plane. Kinda like using a buddy box when a buddy isn't available??

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....would a flight controller help a newbie get their planes in the air and allow them to get used to controling the plane. Kinda like using a buddy box when a buddy isn't available??
Yes, a flight controller, when properly setup, can be helpful for a newbie learning to fly. If they are setup with the control surface moving backwards, it will be nearly impossible to fly.

The downside to a FC, some become dependent and never learn to fly without stability.

navillus5

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty much what I thought. Does anyone have any opinions about particulat flight controllers? I am inclined to support FT, but I am also curious about anyone who has experience with the F7 flight controllers (mostly used for quads) that can run iNav and ardupilot.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Not all F7 boards are suitable for planes. Matek has several models that work well. Most flight controllers are over kill for planes. If all you need is stability & the “save me” features, there are much simpler options. Like the Hobby Eagle.

This video discusses the difference between stabilizers & flight controllers.

Here are some good videos about flight controllers in planes.

Last edited:

navillus5

Thanks for the reply. I subscribe to Painless 360. Lee is very good at explaining concepts. Not sure if he has reviewed the Aura 5. Maybe I'll suggest that!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I subscribe to Painless 360. Lee is very good at explaining concepts. Not sure if he has reviewed the Aura 5. Maybe I'll suggest that!
I think the Aura is going to be in the stabilizer class, it’s not a flight controller, it’s not going to run iNav.