3D resin printed Draco RC 2500mm

chaos23

Could you post a 3-d file of Draco in .stl, .obj, or .svg?
if there is enough interest ill put the files up for sale, considering the crazy level of deatail and hours i am putting into it I will have a hard time working out a fair price though. also remember im designing it for MSLA printing, so i would have to mod the parts further of FFM printing.

chaos23

so after my last update, I was not happy the the way the fuselage came out, so i deleted all of it and dit it again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_65.png
    Screenshot_65.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_69.png
    Screenshot_69.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_70.png
    Screenshot_70.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

current weight estimate is around 4.5kg, not the worst. But I still have a lot of internal structure to do so dry weight without any componants will be closer 5.5-6kg. Plus motor, servos, batteries etc flying weight will be around 7-8kg, I'll have to check other aircraft of similar design and size to find out if ill be to heavy. Anyone know if 8kg flying weight is a ok for a 2500mm STOL?

Attachments

• Screenshot_71.png
    Screenshot_71.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_72.png
    Screenshot_72.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_73.png
    Screenshot_73.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

current weight estimate is around 4.5kg, not the worst. But I still have a lot of internal structure to do so dry weight without any componants will be closer 5.5-6kg. Plus motor, servos, batteries etc flying weight will be around 7-8kg, I'll have to check other aircraft of similar design and size to find out if ill be to heavy. Anyone know if 8kg flying weight is a ok for a 2500mm STOL?
Update, i altered some shell thicknesses and did some more scraping here and there and the weight is down to around 3.2kg. So after i add in more structure, components, batteries etc it should be around 5kg AUW.

william Metge

Update, i altered some shell thicknesses and did some more scraping here and there and the weight is down to around 3.2kg. So after i add in more structure, components, batteries etc it should be around 5kg AUW.
What is the wing width, I need to know the area to figure out if that is a good weight.

chaos23

Working on the wing cores again, added the control linkage slots for the flaps and servos, next up ill make the mounts for the servo carriages, and create the cut outs for the access hatches, luckily the underside of the wing has a wide flat plane so its nice and easy. also spotted a few more places to slash weight.
Screenshot_74.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_75.png
    Screenshot_75.png
    20 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

345grams for the 973mm long wing core sections, ill take that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_76.png
    Screenshot_76.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

Servo access hatches are done, the wing core is essentially done, aside from root and tip connection fastening points. still got to look at what kind of lights Ill be using and do some ore scale details. but other then that im calling the main wing core sections functionally finished.

Attachments

• Screenshot_77.png
    Screenshot_77.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_78.png
    Screenshot_78.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_79.png
    Screenshot_79.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

hey everyone, this is a plea for some help.
So my plan was to buy a
@mypeopoly Phenom soon, the price was at reasonable $1650, plus the unreasonable $500 for shipping (but i live in australia so cant do much about that). But now they raised the price to $1999... I am not happy, with the $tsla stock going up I would have had enough at the end of the month to buy my set up.

Ive been saving up and working towards this goal for months, carefully buying and selling tesla stocks since Aug. I started with $1400 ish USD and im up to $2350 as of yesterdays market close. The up coming S&P500 inclusion is expected to raise the stock price enough that i would reach my goal of 2.7k-3k. Then I could sell the stocks and buy the printer and all the gear and materials for this project. Now all my careful hard work is just crushed.

If you could please head over to my Twitter and help me make some noise, maybe just maybe @mypeopoly can sort something out for me and the Draco project can still happen.

Thank you all in advance, and thank you all for following along so far, regardless of what happens I will still finish the Draco in CAD as best i can. I have loads of other Aircraft designs on the back burner that i was going to work on after the Draco, these i would set up for FDM printing and MSLA. This is would be to make these accessible for most people, they could then purchase the files and print and build them for themselves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_80.png
    Screenshot_80.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_25.jpg
    Screenshot_25.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_30.jpg
    Screenshot_30.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_38.jpg
    Screenshot_38.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    483.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EojfPgQXMAAXwIM.jpg
    EojfPgQXMAAXwIM.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

chaos23

Servos are mounted and access hatches are done, made rough servo arm to check clearance and to check clearence for the control linkage, I have a feeling that the linkage slot in the back of the wing might be to small to cover the the throw angle of the flap/aileron movement. We shall see

Attachments

• Screenshot_82.png
    Screenshot_82.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_83.png
    Screenshot_83.png
    519.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_84.png
    Screenshot_84.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

chaos23

Got the rudder form done and chucked a prop and spinner on, Ill get stuck into the landing gear tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_85.png
    Screenshot_85.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_86.png
    Screenshot_86.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_87.png
    Screenshot_87.png
    236.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_88.png
    Screenshot_88.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 0

chaos23

took a couple days off to play some Cyberpunk77, but im back again. I have been re-working the fuselage, looks heaps bettererererer. just got to make new wing root and spar connection sockets to re mount the wings. Adjusted the wing AOA and root chord position, fixed that sweep they inherited from a poorly created dihedral face, so the should now have the 2deg dihedral perpendicular to the longitudinal axis. next is re-work the engine and nose cowling, the legs weren't really effected by the fuselage changes. When I am happy with all the geometry ill work on all the structural geometry etc, the new fuselage is also 200g lighter, so add 150 back on for structural stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_97.png
    Screenshot_97.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_98.png
    Screenshot_98.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 0

william Metge

took a couple days off to play some Cyberpunk77, but im back again. I have been re-working the fuselage, looks heaps bettererererer. just got to make new wing root and spar connection sockets to re mount the wings. Adjusted the wing AOA and root chord position, fixed that sweep they inherited from a poorly created dihedral face, so the should now have the 2deg dihedral perpendicular to the longitudinal axis. next is re-work the engine and nose cowling, the legs weren't really effected by the fuselage changes. When I am happy with all the geometry ill work on all the structural geometry etc, the new fuselage is also 200g lighter, so add 150 back on for structural stuff.
Nice!

chaos23

Had some trouble with the tail section's file getting slightly corrupted and constantly crashing inventor, but a pulled it aside and had friendly chat and got it to play the game again. So carried on working on the tail and ive got it mostly done, just got to do some scale details and guide channels for the rudder and elevator control rods.. also supper happy with the weight!

Attachments

• Screenshot_101.png
    Screenshot_101.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_102.png
    Screenshot_102.png
    489 KB · Views: 0