4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
That said, ailerons are freaking awesome! :D
Yep, I've had thoughts of making ANOTHER 4 metre glider with ailerons and flaps! I don't think I will though, as I'm about to apply to the Air Force as either a mechanic or pilot, so I probably wouldn't have the time to finish it if they accept me for either role. I will hopefully get to make a small (under 2m) glider with ailerons and other improvements though. Do you fly gliders, and if so, what do you fly?

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Yep, I've had thoughts of making ANOTHER 4 metre glider with ailerons and flaps! I don't think I will though, as I'm about to apply to the Air Force as either a mechanic or pilot, so I probably wouldn't have the time to finish it if they accept me for either role. I will hopefully get to make a small (under 2m) glider with ailerons and other improvements though. Do you fly gliders, and if so, what do you fly?
I know the question wasn't directed at me but I have plans for a 2m glider. It is foamboard but it might be cool to build a balsa version if you're interested.

IMG_20200328_140402.jpg

Jackson T

Elite member
I know the question wasn't directed at me but I have plans for a 2m glider. It is foamboard but it might be cool to build a balsa version if you're interested.

View attachment 167394
That's a nice looking bird you've built there! Have you thermalled it? I don't want to build a V tail though, and I'll probably stick to an all balsa fuselage. It does look pretty cool though. What are your boom specs, and where did you get it from?

Jackson T

Elite member
It's not legal to fly in my area, so I tend to fly small foamies or quads and keep it on the QT. The Tiny Trainer is probably the single most versatile plane in the world and has many useful variants.

Dang, that glider is sexy @Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes. :)
Not legal as in you're not supposed to fly anything? That would be very depressing. What does QT mean?

TooJung2Die

Master member
It means I don't post anything that can be used against me in a court of law. @TooJung2Die, not quite as prehistoric as the mugwumps who made the law or as full of malarkey as those who enforce it. ;)
Is it really illegal to go to a park and fly where you live? I guess we've been lucky here in S. Central PA. Our club flying field is on private property and we lease so it has never closed. There's plenty of room to spread out. We've always been able to go for walks, ride bikes or even fly an airplane at public parks as long as we maintain a safe distance from other people.

I use "on the QT" so I looked it up. The first known published usage of QT goes back to the 1800's.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor

Jackson T

Elite member
I just had the most awesome flight! So you know how I first thought my glider would be too hard to thermal, and than after some encouragement proved myself wrong, well today it stepped up a notch. I had been flying around for 40 mins at 9:30 on an early spring morning, without being able to get any climbs, when it was time to bring it in for a landing. I flew out maybe 100m at 5m alt and started my long final for a hand catch. It got lift, even at less than 5m, and overshot. I went around for another try, this time starting lower and further out. The same thing happened, so I went around for another go. As I was turning around onto my long, low approach, I hit more lift at 4-5m altitude. I circled to "lose height" for my landing, but made it all the way around the circle with maybe an extra 0.5-1m or so alt. I decided to go around again and see if I can gain altitude again, and I did. I kept the circles going, making sure to keep a very low angle of bank and fly very accurately, and I ended up climbing up to 100-150m altitude! I noted the time shortly after starting circling, and I ended up with about an 11 minute flight from that long final position to powering up again at ground level! Gliders are awesome. I'll try and get a thermal flight on camera some day.

Tench745

Master member
I just had the most awesome flight! So you know how I first thought my glider would be too hard to thermal, and than after some encouragement proved myself wrong, well today it stepped up a notch. I had been flying around for 40 mins at 9:30 on an early spring morning, without being able to get any climbs, when it was time to bring it in for a landing. I flew out maybe 100m at 5m alt and started my long final for a hand catch. It got lift, even at less than 5m, and overshot. I went around for another try, this time starting lower and further out. The same thing happened, so I went around for another go. As I was turning around onto my long, low approach, I hit more lift at 4-5m altitude. I circled to "lose height" for my landing, but made it all the way around the circle with maybe an extra 0.5-1m or so alt. I decided to go around again and see if I can gain altitude again, and I did. I kept the circles going, making sure to keep a very low angle of bank and fly very accurately, and I ended up climbing up to 100-150m altitude! I noted the time shortly after starting circling, and I ended up with about an 11 minute flight from that long final position to powering up again at ground level! Gliders are awesome. I'll try and get a thermal flight on camera some day.
Low saves like that are so cool. I've yet to fly on a day with enough lift to manage one for my Simple Soarer.

Jackson T

Elite member
The old bird is still going strong, minus an electrical issue. Last time I flew it the motor began to throttle back uncommanded after climbing at, say 80% throttle for around 40 seconds. Then when I realised something was amiss and throttled back to set up a landing, the motor started up uncommanded a couple times during the glide back down! Just for a second and at low power, but it did start up nonetheless. I am so confused as to what could be causing this. Overheated electronics wouldn't start up uncommanded so it probably isn't that, and the other control parameters didn't seem to be affected so I don't think it's a radio/receiver thing. Anyone have any ideas? A faulty ESC maybe? I'm using a Turnigy Plush 30A. Any help would be much appreciated!

Tench745

Master member
I had a receiver blip throttle on once when it got wet inside. I don't know of any other failure state that might cause that except possibly an incorrectly set failsafe.

Jackson T

Elite member
I had a receiver blip throttle on once when it got wet inside. I don't know of any other failure state that might cause that except possibly an incorrectly set failsafe.
Interesting. I haven't changed any failsafe settings, but I did change the throttle curve on the TX. I don't remember if it was the first flight since changing the throttle curve or not. Either way that shouldn't cause these uncommanded actions, should it? Also I don't think it could have been wet, so that shouldn't be a factor in this case.

TooJung2Die

Master member
There are a few ways to troubleshoot intermittent problems like this. Since there are so few parts involved you can replace everything at once (called shotgunning). This strategy has the highest percentage of success but it is also the most expensive. Plus you'll never know exactly what caused the problem. Or you can replace components one at a time beginning with the part with the greatest chance of failure first (called Easter egg hunting). Probably the ESC in this case. When the problem goes away the last part you replaced was the problem. The issue I see with this strategy is you might have to fly a defective airplane to test it. You might wreck the airplane unless you can duplicate the problem with the airplane on the ground. Lastly you can use test equipment to monitor the communication between the receiver and the ESC. This would also require being able to duplicate the problem on the ground and an oscilloscope is not something many people have laying around.

That's all that comes to mind before my first cup of coffee this morning. 🙂