400% FT Bloody Baron build at Flite Fest West 2018

ferret_guy

My brother and I have been planning a 400% bloody baron build for Flite Fest East (Ignore the title) since our failed attempt to make a 400% FT Pun Jet at Flite Fest West 2017 (the motor we got did not have the thrust required to fly a pun jet)

Our goals (in order):
  1. Be as scale as possible
  2. Fly
  3. Unlimited Vertical
  4. Do acrobatics like a 100% Bloody Baron

18192459_1921482061211385_5650280331220817537_o.jpg
Out 400% Pun Jet

400% Bloody Baron Specs:
  • Wingspan: 120" (10ft)
  • Length: 96" (8ft)
  • Wing Area: ~3856in2
  • Approx Airframe Weight (upper bound): 13440 grams (~30lb)
  • Approx Eletronics Weight: 7600 grams (~17lb)

Electronics:
  • Servos: 7x TBD (2 per wing, 2 elevator, 1 rudder)
  • Propeller: 24x15/32x12 (depending on AUW) (In Hand)
  • Motor: Turnigy RotoMax 150cc (In Hand)
  • ESC: Turnigy dlux 250A HV 14s 60v ESC (In Hand)
  • Battery: 2x Turnigy Graphene 12000mAh 6S (in series) (In Hand)

eCalc Link

The Rotomax 150cc is Huge! Here is a picture we took with a normal Power Pack C Bloody Baron
rotomax scaled.jpg

The weight is based on scaling the weight of a Bloody Barron; I expect the weight will be less due to not needing to use 4x thick foam everywhere. eCalc predicts with a 32x12 at the full-scale weight (20962g, 46lb) we should be able to hit unlimited vertical.

We are building a 200% Bloody Baron to test how it will scale, we have the foam cut hopefully we will finish it up soon.

Last edited:

Pieliker96

Elite member
Holy cow, that motor is huge! If I'm not wrong, Peter Sripol used two of these in his homemade ultralight. You should have more than enough power :cool:

I'm curious about the structural loads this thing will encounter when performing aerobatic maneuvers. Most giant-scale builds just fly patterns and rarely venture into the realm of loops and rolls. You might need to add some extra reinforcement to avoid folding the wings, but I guess that's what the 200% test model is for.

Looking forwards to seeing how this build pans out.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hope you are NOT planning on hand launching this sucker!

Cool project. I'll be following your progress. Hope to see it at FFE '18.

ferret_guy

Flew a prototype 156% model (happened to be the biggest I could fit in my car) :
2018-05-27 16.59.01.jpg
It flew amazing, the motor had plenty of excess power for flat spins full 3D ect...
out1.jpg

We flew it with cheap 9-gram servos and an X-Power T3910 Motor, the AUW is 1350 Grams, less than the extrapolated 1670 Grams and bodes well for our 4x size plane.

b-29er

Looks awesome! I'd help if i didnt have my own monster to build. Are you upscaling materials then, or what are you using to build? Also have you done a run-up of your powerplant? I imagine that motor and prop has more torque than a bodybuilder trying to open a container of protein powder, probably something to consider when looking at the firewall and how it interfaces the fuselage

ferret_guy

Just finished the firewall, 2 layers with a solid black back layer to give the right look, glued it on the wrong way...

IMG_20180708_185200.jpg

Michael9865

Elite member
I enjoyed seeing your build in person was terrific. Sorry that I missed Saturday and Sunday of the event. I would have enjoyed seeing it fly in person. I was building Ben Harber’s F-5 beside you.

ferret_guy

Yep here are some pics, I will be making a blog post soon.

Here is a pic of us and the plane with Dan Sponholz:
20180714_150526.jpg

Here is a pic of the plane after our final crash, next to it all the fire extinguishers that were emptied in the course of putting it out:
2018-07-15 13.13.33.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
You guys are amazing! Thanks for taking the time to find me and talk to me about his during the event. I tried looking for you a couple times after the flight to talk to you, but you weren't in the build tent when I went looking. The design was stout, it flew like the CG was right and the power was insane! Had the elevator not delaminated during flight, I think it would have been perfect. It looked very impressive in the air.

Did you tape the leading edge of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers?

Sad that it caught fire as well. Did you lose the LiPo's and motor? Are you going to try it again?

ferret_guy

We thought we were so close as well. It looked like the aerodynamic counterbalance pulled the paper off the elevator, on our second go around we cut off the areodymac counterbalances and taped the top and bottom of the elevator (excessively) as well as repairing some minor damage to the motor mounts.

We did not tape the lead edges of the horizontal or verticle stabilizers; we did not find that we had any problems with delaminating on those surfaces.

On the last flight, The rear surface fluttered excessively in flight causing a loss of control (this may have contributed to our first flight failure). After it hit the ground one of the Lipos caught fire, the ESC had some pads ripped off, and the other Lipo was damaged to an unsafe point. We were able to recover the motor safely though.

Thanks for your kind words it was great to meet you! I would love to get the pictures (and any video that you may have) from you as we do not have as many as I would like.