FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Simple Scout XL

1651848184461.png

Speed Build Kit Now Available: FT Simple Scout XL

Free Plans Now Available: FT Simple Scout XL 1.0

With permission from Flite Test, and the blessing of @wilmracer (Carl Lydick) and @willsonman (Joshua Orchard), I am scaling up the FT Simple Scout to a scale that should make it fit quite nicely into the 1:6th scale for the Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol. I know that the Simple Scout is a fictional aircraft, but the point of this challenge is to include as many folks who want to fly in the Dawn Patrol as possible. For the Gotha Gaggle at Flite Fest 2016 we had 32 planes flying together. I'd like to see even more for the Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol. To that point, the Scout XL is meant to be a easier point of entry to join in on the fun. Not everyone is up to the challenge of scratch building from balsa plans. Maybe you do not have that kind of time. With the Scout XL you can build a plane that looks the part or a WWI fighter, but with the ease you have known and come to love with building a Flite Test design. In fact, you can use the FT Simple Scout build video to build the Scout XL with very little deviation.

More Info on the FF'22 Dawn Patrol here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-fest-2022-community-challenge-–-wwi-“dawn-patrol”.69196/

The Scout XL has a wingspan of 58 inches and is approximately 155% scale of the FT Simple Scout. This size was chosen to fit the 1:6th scale requirement of other similar size WWI planes of the era, and also to accommodate the 20 x 30 inch foam board build medium.

The power requirements I am shooting for for the Scout XL are the Flite Test 2814-100 kv motor and 40 amp ESC (links below).

Motor: https://store.flitetest.com/ft-2814-1100kv-motor/
ESC: https://store.flitetest.com/40-amp-esc/

The plans are roughly 80% complete. I expect to have them released on or before February 20. @Mid7night (Ben Harber) has already built a beta version and should have a test flight in soon. I expect to start my build next week and @willsonman (Joshua Orchard) should be building a beta version as well. I will provide additional details in this thread as the build progresses.

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ooh, did WWI planes drop stuff? The XL certainly should have plenty of lifting capability…. Making it drop stuff would be fun…

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
FT Scout XL

View attachment 217107

With permission from Flite Test, and the blessing of @wilmracer (Carl Lydick) and @willsonman (Joshua Orchard), I am scaling up the FT Simple Scout to a scale that should make it fit quite nicely into the 1:6th scale for the Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol. I know that the Simple Scout is a fictional aircraft, but the point of this challenge is to include as many folks who want to fly in the Dawn Patrol as possible. For the Gotha Gaggle at Flite Fest 2016 we had 32 planes flying together. I'd like to see even more for the Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol. To that point, the Scout XL is meant to be a easier point of entry to join in on the fun. Not everyone is up to the challenge of scratch building from balsa plans. Maybe you do not have that kind of time. With the Scout XL you can build a plane that looks the part or a WWI fighter, but with the ease you have known and come to love with building a Flite Test design. In fact, you can use the FT Simple Scout build video to build the Scout XL with very little deviation.

The Scout XL has a wingspan of 58 inches and is approximately 155% scale of the FT Simple Scout. This size was chosen to fit the 1:6th scale requirement of other similar size WWI planes of the era, and also to accommodate the 20 x 30 inch foam board build medium.

The power requirements I am shooting for for the Scout XL are the Flite Test 2814-100 kv motor and 40 amp ESC (links below).

The plans are roughly 80% complete. I expect to have them released on or before February 20. @Mid7night (Ben Harber) has already built a beta version and should have a test flight in soon. I expect to start my build next week and @willsonman (Joshua Orchard) should be building a beta version as well. I will provide additional details in this thread as the build progresses.
if time provides i will hopefully build one

Aslansmonkey

I'll build one, though not for the dawn patrol, which I wouldn't be able to attend. But I'll build mine as a low wing version possibly as a v-tail.

I love the scout and I've wanted to make an upscale.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
This will be awesome and will definitely look the part alongside WWI aircraft. Just slap on the right paint scheme and she'll look great. And for folks that want to take it even further there are tons of options. Maybe some printed guns, there are printable WWI wheels out there too. During the FT livestream today when Ben held up his beta build XL scout next to the Blackburn type D he had been working on it occurred to me that it would be really easy to add a dummy kingpost and run some thin wire to simulate a wing warping setup. No limit to what can be done with it.

Looking forward to seeing these in the air!

OliverW

Legendary member
FT Scout XL

View attachment 217107

This is gonna have to be one of my next builds. Love the standard scout, and always wanted it to be a bit bigger

jfaleo1

FT Scout XL

View attachment 217107

This is such a great idea, I wish I could attend, but I will still likely build one of these just because it will be fun.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
And the early “air to air” combat was just them shooting their pistols at each other🤣 I wonder if anybody was ever shot down that way?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Excited to see what others come up with. My life has abruptly become very busy so my beta build is now a slow but steady WIP. I'm not the fastest foam builder because I tend to be a bit too OCD with my construction.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
...Maybe some printed guns, there are printable WWI wheels out there too. During the FT livestream today when Ben held up his beta build XL scout next to the Blackburn type D he had been working on it occurred to me that it would be really easy to add a dummy kingpost and run some thin wire to simulate a wing warping setup. No limit to what can be done with it...

I was thinking the exact same thing, even before I saw Ben's Blackburn (which looks amazing). I would like to try modeling some different printable accessories for like guns, cylinder heads (Ben's foam heads look great too), etc.

tomlogan1

Elite member
FT Scout XL

View attachment 217107

I'm in for sure!

The Fopster

Master member
I was thinking the exact same thing, even before I saw Ben's Blackburn (which looks amazing). I would like to try modeling some different printable accessories for like guns, cylinder heads (Ben's foam heads look great too), etc.
I’m going to need a WW1 machine gun for my Sopwith Pup, so an STL file would be smashing if you do get around to modelling something. I got a tape measure out this evening to look how big 1/6 actually is, and now my thinking time is occupied working out how to make the wings removable. 🤔

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So I’ve finally got all my parts cut out and scored. I’ve got plenty of parts laying around the shop so I’m making use of them. I’ve got a Tacon Bigfoot 25 motor that I think will be fine for this airframe. A basic prop will work for now but a generic 40A ESC should be all that’s required. Some 9g servos are laying around here somewhere so no worries there. I bent up some 1/8” music wire per Dan’s guide and threw on some old WWI style wheels that are from Williams Brothers. I’ve got a couple of plastic guns I can try and incorporate as well but it’s going to be a fun little project.
3FD68177-41A2-4E5C-B9EB-C241AD46DA33.jpeg 94696BCB-48CF-48F9-A68B-379579A0B704.jpeg
Of course I’m using Dan’s design for 3D printed control horns. I’m using PETG here but I’ve got plenty of spares if I mess something up.
293B0DD7-C73D-4485-8C6C-DF00E4A822AB.jpeg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So I’ve finally got all my parts cut out and scored. I’ve got plenty of parts laying around the shop so I’m making use of them. I’ve got a Tacon Bigfoot 25 motor that I think will be fine for this airframe. A basic prop will work for now but a generic 40A ESC should be all that’s required. Some 9g servos are laying around here somewhere so no worries there. I bent up some 1/8” music wire per Dan’s guide and threw on some old WWI style wheels that are from Williams Brothers. I’ve got a couple of plastic guns I can try and incorporate as well but it’s going to be a fun little project.
View attachment 217164 View attachment 217166
Of course I’m using Dan’s design for 3D printed control horns. I’m using PETG here but I’ve got plenty of spares if I mess something up.
View attachment 217165

This is so awesome! I will need to source some nice wheels for mine. Or maybe design and print some. Thanks for beta building @willsonman.