FT Scout XL : Flite Fest 2022 Dawn Patrol Challenge

Captglvr

Okay, I am as far with my Scout XL build as I'm going to take it for now. I will finish the rest at Flite Fest. Here is a sneak peak of my "Black Knight" Scout XL. I built my prototype with the rattiest old foam board I had laying around. My original plan was to build the SBK for the event and make that one look really nice. But, Keegan hasn't been home at all to build anything, so I'm giving him my XL kit and I'm going to help him build his at the event. So, my ratty "Black Knight" has A LOT of "character" now. It's fitting, just a flesh wound.

Fictional aircraft, fictional livery. :geek:

View attachment 227345
View attachment 227346
View attachment 227347
View attachment 227348
View attachment 227349
View attachment 227350
View attachment 227351
View attachment 227352

I'm invincible!
Brilliant livery!!
I had the honor of learning stage combat from John Waller in the early 80’s. John choreographed that fight. 😁. Told some great stories about the making of it. 👍🏼
Did you make your own decals?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Brilliant livery!!
I had the honor of learning stage combat from John Waller in the early 80’s. John choreographed that fight. 😁. Told some great stories about the making of it. 👍🏼
Did you make your own decals?

That's pretty cool!

I did make my own vinyl decals for this project.

Hvon11

I decided to turn my Scout XL into a Fire Retardant tanker. Loads of fun and humbled by forgetting to check CG before maiden. DOH!
YouTube link.
5E80C6AD-BC98-4D72-BEB2-237DE2776FE1.jpeg

I kind of have an obsession lately of wanting to make all flite test plans twin motor setups, and over the summer I made a Twin Scout XL. I posted some pics on the FB group but forgot to update the forums with some pics/videos.

The scout xl is one of my favorite flite test planes of all time. I love the size, how it can fly nice and slow, and it has a great presence in the air. It is also an amazing night flyer. I've attempted to build many night flyers and have always struggled to keep orientation in the dark, but the size of this thing makes night flying a breeze. With the twin motor set up, I found that it can take off and land in only a few feet making it a great STOL plane. I linked a video below showing some short take-offs and landings. Overall this build is a 10/10 in my book!

My build of the scout xl twin used two budget b motors from Flite Test with 30amp escs and 9 inch props on a 4s 3600mah battery to hit CG.

Night Flight -
STOL Video -

Attachments

• FT Scout XL Twin.jpg
    FT Scout XL Twin.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Scout XL Night.jpg
    Scout XL Night.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

I 100% take this as a challenge to make a jumbo-scout into a speed plane now, Thanks for convincing me!

My father on the other hand wants the bigger motor to swing the bigger prop just because it "looks" better. not because he wants to go faster.

For reference.... I put the new 2814 motor with a 10x7 prop on 4s on my tutor just to maiden it, full send snapped the wing too! Going to fly my FT corsair with a 4 blade 9x6 prop on the same motor tomorrow and see how that one holds up... probably also on 4s... because who doesn't love clapping wings together? That should free up the shelf space for a Big ol' Scout I think. Ya know, it's just space management!

Did you ever get the 2814 in the Corsair?

Intashu

Elite member
Did you ever get the 2814 in the Corsair?
Yes. And it actually has me mad.. but for all the right reasons. I fully intended to retire the Corsair, but the thing screams! Not only did it not fold, it really woke the plane up to be what I felt like it always should have been. Now I can't get rid of it because it's one of my favorite planes! I ended up rebuilding a wing for the tutor just to retire it instead! This 2814 motor is 100% what the master series warbirds need to fly like warbirds, tons of power and performance, paired with good appearance and flight characteristics.

Attachments

• 20220605_100348.jpg
    20220605_100348.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

Yes. And it actually has me mad.. but for all the right reasons. I fully intended to retire the Corsair, but the thing screams! Not only did it not fold, it really woke the plane up to be what I felt like it always should have been. Now I can't get rid of it because it's one of my favorite planes! I ended up rebuilding a wing for the tutor just to retire it instead! This 2814 motor is 100% what the master series warbirds need to fly like warbirds, tons of power and performance, paired with good appearance and flight characteristics.
That is really good to hear.
Thank you for the detailed review. I am excited to put this in my MS Corsair.

The Fopster

Master member
I’ve got one of those (mine is called 3536 by the manufacturer - the outer dimensions rather than the stator dimensions) in my P47. Transformed the plane. Lovely BIG scale loops. Highly recommended for that size plane, and still get an easy six to seven minutes off a 2200 3 cell.

tomlogan1

Elite member
I kind of have an obsession lately of wanting to make all flite test plans twin motor setups, and over the summer I made a Twin Scout XL. I posted some pics on the FB group but forgot to update the forums with some pics/videos.

The scout xl is one of my favorite flite test planes of all time. I love the size, how it can fly nice and slow, and it has a great presence in the air. It is also an amazing night flyer. I've attempted to build many night flyers and have always struggled to keep orientation in the dark, but the size of this thing makes night flying a breeze. With the twin motor set up, I found that it can take off and land in only a few feet making it a great STOL plane. I linked a video below showing some short take-offs and landings. Overall this build is a 10/10 in my book!

My build of the scout xl twin used two budget b motors from Flite Test with 30amp escs and 9 inch props on a 4s 3600mah battery to hit CG.

Night Flight -
STOL Video -
Always love twins and, of course, the Scout. After seeing this, gotto go get some more foamboard! Great work.

Spitfire76

Does anyone have more information on the FT 17G servos ?. As I would like to design some 3d printed mounts I would like to know the dimensions but FT does not provide a data sheet just the basic 28 x 12.9 x 34.2 overall dimensions. I assume that these have an equivalent Emax or other manufacture equivalent. Also its not stated if these are analogue or digital servos.

idoitforchrist

You are tempting me to buy a 3D printer. But I have been hesitant because of the apparent steep learning curve.
But man, you are killing it. Thank you for the great contributions.
Its totally worth it I'd recommend a fokoos odin-5 f3 that was my first printer and I don't regret it

Aslansmonkey

Its totally worth it I'd recommend a fokoos odin-5 f3 that was my first printer and I don't regret it
If you are a little mechanically inclined a 3D printer should be no issue for you. You'll have to learn to play with the slicer a little to get prints to come out their best, but that's more time than difficulty. Be warned though, once you go down this rabbit hole, there's no going back. You'll print tons of crap at first. But eventually you'll settle down and your printer will be one of the most useful tools in your house. It's a rare day when one of my printers isn't running (two of them are right now).

I started with a Monoprice Maker Select V2, and that's a good printer. But the Ender series is good too. Just spend a little time reading reviews and you should be fine. Keep in mind that most 3D printed planes require a 200x200x200 print area, however. My Maker Select is only 200x200x175 and the tall parts don't fit (my Ender is larger).

Alan Hardy

Hi
I've decided to build the Scout XL and have downloaded the plans. The plan shows the wings having seperate top and bottom sections but the build video shows it all in one piece and folded over at the leading edge - which is correct?

Aslansmonkey

The plans were a previous version. The video is for the speed build kit sold by the store, for which plans are NOT offered. So there will be some slight variations. You could, however, simply tape the two wing pieces together where they are shown together in the video and build them as shown.