5.8 gHz FPV questions

PKbunyi

If I have a 600mW 5.8 gHz Immersion tx and an Orange T-Six 2.4 gHz for control tx, which is the same as a DX6i, will my control exceed my video signal? That is what I am hoping for. What kind of range can I expect from my control tx? If my video goes bad before I run out of my control range, then I should be good. I just have been flying really close and feel nervous every time I fly out of sound range.

highflying

It's great that you are interested in FPV, but seeing you in Alaska... I'm sorry to tell you but FPV with goggles is now illegal, and you can only fly with a monitor when within LOS. You won't be going out of range while those laws are in place.

ezikiel12

Too vague of an equipment list. If your using any antennas with any significant amount of gain your video will far exceed your 2.4 range. If your just using omni CP antennas then your video range is somewhere between 1-2km which will be about what your 2.4 system can handle. This is all assuming that your aircraft is laid out correctly, the noise floor is relatively low for 2.4 and 5.8, and that LOS with the aircraft is properly maintained. Without RSSI, telemetry, or a proper failsafe I would say that 1km is your safest range from the information you provided.

ezikiel12

It's great that you are interested in FPV, but seeing you in Alaska... I'm sorry to tell you but FPV with goggles is now illegal, and you can only fly with a monitor when within LOS. You won't be going out of range while those laws are in place.

Are you serious? Is this how your going to help people that have FPV questions now that the FAA has made these ridiculous unenforceable guidelines? Do everyone that flys FPV a favor and don't reply to anymore threads on the matter because nobody cares.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Are you serious? Is this how your going to help people that have FPV questions now that the FAA has made these ridiculous unenforceable guidelines? Do everyone that flys FPV a favor and don't reply to anymore threads on the matter because nobody cares.
Wow! Um...you know this isn't RCG? And I understand you being mad about the BS the FAA is trying to pull, but please keep the attitude to a dull roar, brother. And frankly, it's not a bad idea to let as many people know just what the FAA is trying to pull and keep a united front on this one. What they are in the process of doing IS enforceable, especially if we don't stick together and fight it. And I do mean all of us, since if this happens here, many other countries may choose to adopt the rule/law against FPV.