5 pin led switch

ecoster

I've been looking how to wire this switch for hours now, and can't find anything that makes sense to me.

2302431-1.jpg 2302431-3.jpg

I need the switch to light up when pushed but I have no idea how to connect it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Mustang7302

Finding a similar listing on ebay for the switch says it is a momentary switch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Boat-16...682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565ca142a2

There is a + and - which is for powering the internal LED. Then there is a common pin which is ground of a second circuit, a pin which is "normally-open", and a third pin for "normally-closed." You put the power of the second circuit to the normally-open or the normally-closed pin which will then make connection to the ground pin to complete the circuit. Normally-open pin will close the circuit when the button is not pressed and the normally-closed pin will close the circuit when the button is being pressed.

Being a momentary switch, the LED will probably be illuminated at all times there is power to it. What are you trying to use this switch on?

ecoster

I'm building a ground station, and I want to use it on lots off things.
There was no mention of momentary switch in the specs of the switch.
Just checked and here are the actual specs of the switch, it's in Dutch srry

SPDT 1NO 1NC
kleur: blauw
type: (on)-off
werktemperatuur: -20°C ~ +70°C
vochtigheidsgraad: 45 ~ 85% RH
isolatieweerstand: > 1000M ohm
contactweerstand: < 50M ohm
contactmateriaal: verzilverd
mechanische levensduur: 1 000 000 cycli
elektrische levensduur: 50 000 cycli
diëlektrische weerstand:
tussen terminals van dezelfde pool: 1000VAC
tussen terminals van verschillende polen: 2000VAC
tussen terminal en lampterminal: 1500VAC
materiaal behuizing: vernikkeld messing
beschermingsniveau: IP40/IP65
max. spanning:
24VDC / 1A
230VAC / 0.5A
boring: Ø16mm

ronde-metalen-drukknop-spdt-1no-1nc-blauwe-ring-ronde-metalen-drukknop-spdt-1no-1nc-blauwe-ring.jpg drukknop-spdt-1no-1nc-blauwe-ring-ronde-metalen-drukknop-spdt-1no-1nc-blauwe-ring.jpg

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
Well yes, and no. These switches are usually designed to supply a momentary signal to another circuit to tell it to turn on. Once the device is on, it supplies power back to the LED that is in the switch.

If you were expecting it to work like to two pole switch like a light switch, then yup it's useless.

Flynn

View attachment 16326

I need the switch to light up when pushed but I have no idea how to connect it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Typically I've found the outer pins in this picture are usually the power for the switches light (led or blub in the switch). Then when I see a switch with 3 pins its usually COM, N/O, N/C (Common, Normally Open, Normally Closed). If I wanted the switch to light when ever I hit the button, I would break the power for the switch with a relay controlled by the switch. Kinda confusing. But without knowing what you wish to power with the switch, I would use the switch to control 2 relays. One for the switch light and one for whatever you are controlling.

Hopefully this is a push on/ push off switch. If its a momentary, then another device (i.e. Arduino) is one of the ways to do this.

RoyBro

Mentor
so "type: (on)-off" is not correct? or is it push=on, let go=off?

If it is a SPDT (Single Pole, Double Throw) switch, then it is the kind you want. Push ON, Push Off. If it is a momentary switch, then it just provides a temporary connection or signal to tell something else to turn on.

A simple SPDT is like a toggle switch.

ecoster

If it is a SPDT (Single Pole, Double Throw) switch, then it is the kind you want. Push ON, Push Off. If it is a momentary switch, then it just provides a temporary connection or signal to tell something else to turn on.

A simple SPDT is like a toggle switch.

It's a SPDT 1NO 1NC. Can use this to switch on the screen, receiver etc?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It's a SPDT 1NO 1NC. Can use this to switch on the screen, receiver etc?

Assuming your current demands are far lower than the contact's current limits, then directly yes, but from above, these are rated to 1A at 24V DC. By power conversion, that means you don't want to run much more than 2A from a 12V or 3S battery source through this switch.

This switch, however, could power a relay of *enormous* current rating, which in turn could easily power on/off the Display, Vrx, signal Amp, DVR, coffee warmer . . .

EDIT: BTW, if this *is* a momentary switch, look into a "Latching" relay. these can take current from a momentary pushbutton and lock in one position. down side, you'll likely need to have seperate "on" and "off" switches, or a really fancy flipflop circuit with a good debounce . . . or switch to a SPDT switch.

Last edited:

ecoster

Assuming your current demands are far lower than the contact's current limits, then directly yes, but from above, these are rated to 1A at 24V DC. By power conversion, that means you don't want to run much more than 2A from a 12V or 3S battery source through this switch.

This switch, however, could power a relay of *enormous* current rating, which in turn could easily power on/off the Display, Vrx, signal Amp, DVR, coffee warmer . . .

I have 8 of them and will power everything individually, so amp are not the problem the switch is:) cant get it to work. I've checked it with the multimeter and when i push the button I get tone or I have tone and stops when I release. It sounds like a momentary switch but the site, packaging reads "SPDT 1NO 1NC " or I"m doing something wrong, is very possible to:)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I have 8 of them and will power everything individually, so amp are not the problem the switch is:) cant get it to work. I've checked it with the multimeter and when i push the button I get tone or I have tone and stops when I release. It sounds like a momentary switch but the site, packaging reads "SPDT 1NO 1NC " or I"m doing something wrong, is very possible to:)

In reality, the action and the switching are seperate -- it's a momentary action as opposed to a latching action. the SPDT says it's a single pole (one connection switched) Double Throw (it can switch between two different connections) -- Unfortunatly it says nothing about how permanant the action is.

Again, you could hook these switches to dual coil latching relays, and have one "on" pushbutton turn on the realy for each item, and one push button wired to all of the relay's "off" coils and it would turn them all off. otherwise, you'd need some sort of fancier circuitry and/or microcontroller to automate what turns on/off at the press of those buttons.

ecoster

In reality, the action and the switching are seperate -- it's a momentary action as opposed to a latching action. the SPDT says it's a single pole (one connection switched) Double Throw (it can switch between two different connections) -- Unfortunatly it says nothing about how permanant the action is.

Again, you could hook these switches to dual coil latching relays, and have one "on" pushbutton turn on the realy for each item, and one push button wired to all of the relay's "off" coils and it would turn them all off. otherwise, you'd need some sort of fancier circuitry
and/or microcontroller to automate what turns on/off at the press of those buttons.

Ok understood, thanks for the help, I'll just order a few others to keep it understandable for me. this is my first attempt at a decent ground station so the electrical stuff is all kinda new to me, and I have spent many hours on Google figuring stuff out.
thanks again,
Gr

IMG_0904_Fotor.jpg

Ranger71d

I just found similar switches on Sparkfun. There are two versions of this switch. One is Momentary the other is Latching. The latching version will give you on/off functionality.
I plan to use a similar switch to turn on my converted server power supplies.
This is a link that I found easy to understand and had an easy explanation: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117844