64mm EDF F117

64mm EDF F117 V1.0

Please log in to download

Burnhard

Last edited:

JohnGay

The F117 has been one of my favorite airframes since they first came out! I actually got to see one in San Diego at one of the first air shows that had one on static display!
My biggest attraction to them, from a modelling perspective, is they are mostly flat, angular surfaces which is much easier to make then smooth airfoils.
But I am not (yet) an RC pilot. So I have been wanting to make at least one or two test builds purely for static display. Also because I haven't told my wife I want to buy EDF's radios and receivers yet (-=
I have an 11X17 printer, and if I print this at 70% then each sheet fits 2 sheets of 11X17 paper. So I don't have to patch too many sheets together. I think that might be a better scale for a first trial build and one that won't annoy my wife too much.

However, I am also planning to start Flite Test's FT DR1 model as well. probably as a fully flyable model. There is an RC park near where I live, so I might take it there when I'm done and see if someone will maiden it for me.

But I just wanted to let you know, I've been scrolling many F-117 models for several years, but this one looks like something I could actually finish at least a static build. And who knows, I may move on to making a flying version if I even decide to jump that fence.

Cheers,

John Gay

JohnGay

And just for added practice, since I usually build the first one to throw away, I printed another copy at 50% scale on 11X17 Cardstock so it's a page for page match.
I've gone through both Burnhard's and Caroline's build photos but I have not found a place to View75 from sheet3?
I've accounted for every other part on the drawings visually. Maybe I'll find where it goes when I start putting it together.
It did take a few passes through all three build threads this morning to get a basic idea of where everything goes, but I love a good puzzle to keep my brain ticking as I get older.
I am also starting to think I may make a flying version of this after all. But then our house has quite a number of projects I intended to finish.
And at least 4 times as many that I intended to start.
But the only thing worse than my Completion Anxiety Disorder is my Analysis Paralysis!

Cheers,

John Gay

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
And just for added practice, since I usually build the first one to throw away, I printed another copy at 50% scale on 11X17 Cardstock so it's a page for page match.
I've gone through both Burnhard's and Caroline's build photos but I have not found a place to View75 from sheet3?
I've accounted for every other part on the drawings visually. Maybe I'll find where it goes when I start putting it together.
It did take a few passes through all three build threads this morning to get a basic idea of where everything goes, but I love a good puzzle to keep my brain ticking as I get older.
I am also starting to think I may make a flying version of this after all. But then our house has quite a number of projects I intended to finish.
And at least 4 times as many that I intended to start.
But the only thing worse than my Completion Anxiety Disorder is my Analysis Paralysis!

Cheers,

John Gay
View75? Can you post a picture of the piece and I'll try and remember where it goes on the model

JohnGay

This is the piece. And it's the smallest piece as well, if that helps narrow it down.
View75.JPG

Cheers,

John Gay

JohnGay

Thank you for the quick reply.
Now I see the resemblance in the shape.
This one in particular is going to be tricky to get right since I'm not working at the original scale.
But I've got several year experience making Papercraft models and changing the scale in those so I should be able to make it work.

Cheers,

John Gay

JohnGay

I started on the 50% scale in Cardstock, and quickly realized that wasn't going to work out. The lack of thickness plus the reduced scale made it too difficult. But I did get one wing and spar built and attached to the main body so I could better visualize exactly how the wing folded and fit with the rest of the model.
I also decided to jump the whole way off the fence and bought a box of 10 sheets of black foam board. I'm still thinking I'll make a static model first before deciding if I really want to put an EDF into it and see if it can fly.
I know the original F-117 was a real brick to fly and relied heavily on the computers to keep it in the air. And although I know Flite Test does have a gyro-assist board, I don't know if that can help with this model. I don't understand the entire code or principles used by their board?
But a static model would still be a great start!
Speaking for starts: I started my DR1 build last night. This one will certainly be flight-capable. Whether it actually flies is a separate question.

But my thanks to the people of this thread. Seeing this model, in EDF form was the push I needed to stop just watching the Flite Test video and actually start building them!

Cheers,

John Gay

Burnhard

I started on the 50% scale in Cardstock, and quickly realized that wasn't going to work out. The lack of thickness plus the reduced scale made it too difficult. But I did get one wing and spar built and attached to the main body so I could better visualize exactly how the wing folded and fit with the rest of the model.
I also decided to jump the whole way off the fence and bought a box of 10 sheets of black foam board. I'm still thinking I'll make a static model first before deciding if I really want to put an EDF into it and see if it can fly.
I know the original F-117 was a real brick to fly and relied heavily on the computers to keep it in the air. And although I know Flite Test does have a gyro-assist board, I don't know if that can help with this model. I don't understand the entire code or principles used by their board?
But a static model would still be a great start!
Speaking for starts: I started my DR1 build last night. This one will certainly be flight-capable. Whether it actually flies is a separate question.

But my thanks to the people of this thread. Seeing this model, in EDF form was the push I needed to stop just watching the Flite Test video and actually start building them!

Cheers,

John Gay
I do have an FT Aura in mine but the maiden is still to happen. Last time I tried I used a start car but did not achieve enough speed to get it to launch. I probably need to hand launch. Should be doable with the Aura which has a launch assist mode. I used basically the same setting as for the FT Viggen as they are both deltawings with just elevons. The only think that makes me hesitate is the throw on the elevons which is not great and which makes me wonder whether I will get it off the ground. Hopefully I will be brave enough next spring.

JohnGay

Also. Just an observation: I notice the spars are designed to fold in half and glue together for double thickness.
But on the Josh designs I've seen this used, he leaves a double-wide paper backing between the two sides so they fold towards each other with the paper to keep them together. It's listed as a C-Fold on his plans. I plan to change my spars accordingly only because it seems like a good design.

But my foam should be arriving tomorrow. But I've already started the DR1 so the F-117 is next.

Cheers,

John Gay

sirjaymz

Also. Just an observation: I notice the spars are designed to fold in half and glue together for double thickness.
But on the Josh designs I've seen this used, he leaves a double-wide paper backing between the two sides so they fold towards each other with the paper to keep them together. It's listed as a C-Fold on his plans. I plan to change my spars accordingly only because it seems like a good design.

But my foam should be arriving tomorrow. But I've already started the DR1 so the F-117 is next.

Cheers,

John Gay

So , how did the builds go ? This is a 2 month long cliff hanger. Photos ?

Angiolo

I was just wondering if anyone had titled the plans for standard A4 paper? if not any tools that can help with this task?