DRAFT 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge Guidelines

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
This guy has only gone one step further....from fantasy to reality!!!
gallery-1470417150-glider.jpg
Just wow!!!

Pilot_35

On the forum there is a article with Vedio on how to design a DTFB plane. He use photo shop to start out. Before I use a lot of my time watching his Vedio is this the right path to go?

Fidget

On the forum there is a article with Vedio on how to design a DTFB plane. He use photo shop to start out. Before I use a lot of my time watching his Vedio is this the right path to go?
I think so, but I suggest Inkscape unless you already have Adobe software. Techniques are the same, jut the names & icons of the tools are different.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

@nerdnic does not use Adobe Photoshop anymore, he has since moved up to Adobe Illustrator which is vector based and makes editing easier than a raster based image program. That said, CAD (computer-aided design) software is much better suited for this type of work. Ultimately, it's up to you and what your comfort level is with the "tool" you choose to design with. There are some free options out there including DoubleCAD XT and SketchUp. I think that you will find nerdnic's tutorials helpful even if you decide to use a different design tool. Worth watching to at least get an idea of the process he uses, parts of which will carry over to other software. Good luck with your designs.

Pilot_35

@nerdnic does not use Adobe Photoshop anymore, he has since moved up to Adobe Illustrator which is vector based and makes editing easier than a raster based image program. That said, CAD (computer-aided design) software is much better suited for this type of work. Ultimately, it's up to you and what your comfort level is with the "tool" you choose to design with. There are some free options out there including DoubleCAD XT and SketchUp. I think that you will find nerdnic's tutorials helpful even if you decide to use a different design tool. Worth watching to at least get an idea of the process he uses, parts of which will carry over to other software. Good luck with your designs.

I am completely new to this so I will try some type of CAD and see how it goes.

Namactual

Elite member
The last day is a few randoms leftovers...

Copperhead.jpg Final Fantasy Copperhead.
I almost picked this one.

hqdefault.jpg Batwing
BuckRogers.jpg Buck Rogers
KBoP.jpg Klingon Bird of Prey
I would love to do this one as well.

SkyDrift.jpg
These are a few planes from a game called Sky Drift.
A fun little game with a lot of cool racer inspired aircraft.

"Tee minus one"
:cool:
Count.gif

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks for leading this @rockyboy. Had a great time as a beta builder with you previously and may throw in for this with an x-wing Star Wars fighter. Found a bunch who started, one profile build that flew but nothing with a full fuse.

Time to get going with a chuck glider!

RCBuildIdeas

This sounds like fun...can we draw our own fantasy / toy model airplane for this event? if so, I might want to build something like this.

model_airplane_00.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for leading this @rockyboy. Had a great time as a beta builder with you previously and may throw in for this with an x-wing Star Wars fighter. Found a bunch who started, one profile build that flew but nothing with a full fuse.

Awesome!! :D

This sounds like fun...can we draw our own fantasy / toy model airplane for this event? if so, I might want to build something like this.

View attachment 111593

Yes, but it will score a little bit lower in the rubric for not having a source of artwork to draw on and compare the "scale-ness" of the model up against. But by all means jump on in and build and have fun with us! That's the most important part :D

RCBuildIdeas

Yes, but it will score a little bit lower in the rubric for not having a source of artwork to draw on and compare the "scale-ness" of the model up against. But by all means jump on in and build and have fun with us! That's the most important part :D

Thanks rockyboy, and thanks for taking on the role of volunteer coordinator for this event.

b-29er

View attachment 111593

Alternatively, there are a few designs out there that are very similar like the KI-98
MMDS002-3.jpg

if you feel like EDFs, the Strahljager (bright hunter, according to the google)
3bbbmwj3.jpg

Or this unnamed FW Fighter project
3bfjager.jpg

Dual engine? How about the EF-12?
3bj112.gif

And thats just Luft 46, there's plenty of fantasy designs with that kind of tail/pusher configuration, no need to lose points over it. Could also do the J-21b, an unproduced radar variant of the Saab 21.
J-21-Intro.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot_35

Sense I am very new. What are your plans of attack? I think mine will go something like this on sketchup make the plane in 3d. Then separate the wing fuse etc. Then unfold the pieces so I can print them out. Make the plane and play pass the transmitter and improve the design. Do that until I am happy with the plane make a build log and submit a plane to the challenge. While have lots of fun a lot of questions.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sense I am very new. What are your plans of attack? I think mine will go something like this on sketchup make the plane in 3d. Then separate the wing fuse etc. Then unfold the pieces so I can print them out. Make the plane and play pass the transmitter and improve the design. Do that until I am happy with the plane make a build log and submit a plane to the challenge. While have lots of fun a lot of questions.

Sounds like a plan. If you need help in Sketchup, let me know.

DamoRC

b-29er

Just a heads up on the X-wing, that thing has very little yaw stability and a tendancy for interesting CG due to wing placement and a long fuselage.
watch the takeoff here. They've added rudders to this one, but because they are close to the CG, the aircraft still yaws heavily on takeoff. This is Ramy Rc's model, he wound up modifying it quite a bit after this and a second crash flight

If you're planning on doing an x-wing with a full 3d fuselage and components, don't be afraid to add stuff, like a canard or rudders made from clear plastic to keep looks. If you're doing a profile build, it may be much easier, since the fuselage sheet will push the CL forward without adding a bunch of weight, and the fuselage/engine pods will add more rudder area.

jpot1

Elite member
@kilroy07 - thanks, I'll take you up on that offer when ready.
@b-29er - yes, I had seen those vids plus some others on the forum. I do plan to go full fuse but am hoping to avoid the canard. I am hopeful based on watching some videos of Bill Evan's Astron x-wing plane. The result may be a clear plastic vertical stab.