DRAFT 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge Guidelines

Namactual

Elite member
If you keep searching for more planes I think your going to have yourself buried in projects for years. I think the problem with these challenges is it add at least 5 more projects to everyone already bussy project list. Lol. Keep that count down coming.
I am already buried in project's so a few more won't hurt. Besides, tis a good problem to have, no?:)

I will continue the count down for sure. My plan is to at least add a few more potential planes to the list every day.(y)

Namactual

Elite member
I decided we needed more classics today...
BSGViper.jpg Battlestar Galactica Viper MkII
It could be a challenge to get flying, but if it was light enough with a lifting body design?:unsure:

DotCPeacemaker.jpg Talk about nostalgia.
Anyone here remember this one?;)

Then we have these two classic beauties...
F-19.jpg F-19
Mig31.jpg MiG-37

I think I am going to bow out of future FTFC's and pull a groundhog day with this one.:p
More to come.(y)

"Tee minus three" :cool:
Count04.jpg

Zephyr1

Elite member

So, I've actually made this airplane. I built it last year to test my abilities, I used twin tractor props in the wing roots (that's where the actual thrust on this plane is generated in the show) and I think I'll likely try converting it to VTOL with 3 motors placed in the wings and tail. It's a great looking bird and it actually flies really nicely.

I've also tried making a SHIELD quinjet before (two of them actually) and neither one has flown well. I'd love to see someone do a better one than mine. I tried to make it scale to my Zephyr1 (where i took my name) so I could use the piggyback release on it. I used twin F packs in the tail for my quinjet.
Zephyr(1).JPG

Quinjet 1.JPG

Not the best video but have a look.
Zephyr1 Flight

I'm gonna be doing an Avengers Quinjet (Civil War, Infinity War) for this FANTASTIC challenge.

Pilot_35

So, I've actually made this airplane. I built it last year to test my abilities, I used twin tractor props in the wing roots (that's where the actual thrust on this plane is generated in the show) and I think I'll likely try converting it to VTOL with 3 motors placed in the wings and tail. It's a great looking bird and it actually flies really nicely.

I've also tried making a SHIELD quinjet before (two of them actually) and neither one has flown well. I'd love to see someone do a better one than mine. I tried to make it scale to my Zephyr1 (where i took my name) so I could use the piggyback release on it. I used twin F packs in the tail for my quinjet.
View attachment 111387
View attachment 111388
Not the best video but have a look.
Zephyr1 Flight

I'm gonna be doing an Avengers Quinjet (Civil War, Infinity War) for this FANTASTIC challenge.

That's super cool I think it would be super cool if you made it VTOL. I decided to not do the zephyr or a Quinn jet. With the zephyr you could add so much to it bomb bay, lights, VTOL, having a Quinn jet on top. Do you have plans for the zephyr? Keep the good work up. I decided to try and make this plane

bbd57215a009d2a3a01fd998109673c4.jpg

b-29er

For a wing spar, will a fiberglass rod work or do you really want a Carbon fiber one?

Depends on a lot of stuff. For your aircraft, you are going to want a good bit of support going out to your engine pods to prevent vertical motion, but also to prevent your engines from pulling forward and attempting to converge. Depending on how thick your wing is, i would recommend some thing like one of these guys

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fiber-square-tube-750x10mm.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fibre-square-tube-20-x-20-x-800mm.html

A lot of this is going to depend on how you set up your reinforcement/your wings. You can use pretty lightweight materials if your airfoil and thus spar is tall, because you are putting your compression and torsion loads further away from the center of where the spar might bend. Think of it like a lever, but in reverse. You're holding a lever attached to the shaft of a strong electric motor. If the lever is short, the force on your hand it massive, but the longer your lever is, the force on your hand is less. Thats why on some full-sized aircraft, you might see things like spars with holes through them, i-beams, or both, like in the Spitfire.
SpitfireSparBoomsandSparWeb_post.jpg

Though the illustration above also demonstrates how the strength of the wing was concentrated by using a series of locked together tubes that would change length, allowing the most metal and strength to be concentrated at the root of the wing, and the least near the wingtips. In your case, this isn't a factor, since you have engines on the wingtips and probably want uniform strength throughout.

But i'm running on, so here's a TL;DR: Its not a bad thing to go with CF and overdo it, but it may not be a requirement. Don't think that just because you have CF in your spar that it will automagically be strong, knowing what to do with your reinforcing material can be as critical as going with the best grade stuff available. Your wing is going to need to be strong to hold those engines up on the wingtips, especially if you plan on flying it like you stole it. Also, your spar will have to deal with torque from the engine mounting. Make sure if you do use two spars (fore and aft) that they are solidly connected to prevent torque. If you pitch up and inherently put g's on the airframe, that will affect the engine mounts, which will tilt down and rotate the wing down with them.

Pilot_35

Depends on a lot of stuff. For your aircraft, you are going to want a good bit of support going out to your engine pods to prevent vertical motion, but also to prevent your engines from pulling forward and attempting to converge. Depending on how thick your wing is, i would recommend some thing like one of these guys

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fiber-square-tube-750x10mm.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fibre-square-tube-20-x-20-x-800mm.html

A lot of this is going to depend on how you set up your reinforcement/your wings. You can use pretty lightweight materials if your airfoil and thus spar is tall, because you are putting your compression and torsion loads further away from the center of where the spar might bend. Think of it like a lever, but in reverse. You're holding a lever attached to the shaft of a strong electric motor. If the lever is short, the force on your hand it massive, but the longer your lever is, the force on your hand is less. Thats why on some full-sized aircraft, you might see things like spars with holes through them, i-beams, or both, like in the Spitfire.
View attachment 111410
Though the illustration above also demonstrates how the strength of the wing was concentrated by using a series of locked together tubes that would change length, allowing the most metal and strength to be concentrated at the root of the wing, and the least near the wingtips. In your case, this isn't a factor, since you have engines on the wingtips and probably want uniform strength throughout.

But i'm running on, so here's a TL;DR: Its not a bad thing to go with CF and overdo it, but it may not be a requirement. Don't think that just because you have CF in your spar that it will automagically be strong, knowing what to do with your reinforcing material can be as critical as going with the best grade stuff available. Your wing is going to need to be strong to hold those engines up on the wingtips, especially if you plan on flying it like you stole it. Also, your spar will have to deal with torque from the engine mounting. Make sure if you do use two spars (fore and aft) that they are solidly connected to prevent torque. If you pitch up and inherently put g's on the airframe, that will affect the engine mounts, which will tilt down and rotate the wing down with them.

Thanks, I will likely be playing with different things to see what works (that's part of the fun). On the flite test power pack c on the motors you can't do conter rotating because the the nut holding the prop on would come off. Cant wait to build my own plane.

b-29er

Thanks, I will likely be playing with different things to see what works (that's part of the fun). On the flite test power pack c on the motors you can't do conter rotating because the the nut holding the prop on would come off. Cant wait to build my own plane.
Loctite%20Threadlockers.png

Also, there are LOTS of Sea Ducks out there with counter rotating props that don't have those issues, and the motors on my B-36 are the same story . Get your prop on tight enough, loctite it or watch before each flight and you should be fine. Are you going bigger on your design? C-pack motors power a 56-inch Sea Duck nearly 1-1, may be a bit overkill if you're sticking around 30"

Pilot_35

Loctite%20Threadlockers.png

Also, there are LOTS of Sea Ducks out there with counter rotating props that don't have those issues, and the motors on my B-36 are the same story . Get your prop on tight enough, loctite it or watch before each flight and you should be fine. Are you going bigger on your design? C-pack motors power a 56-inch Sea Duck nearly 1-1, may be a bit overkill if you're sticking around 30"

Ok I will try to get some medium removable. I think counter rotating will help with this design a lot. I will go bigger 50in ish because I want to use the power pack c motors that I already have. I don't have to much money. What plane do you plan to make?

b-29er

Ok I will try to get some medium removable. I think counter rotating will help with this design a lot. I will go bigger 50in ish because I want to use the power pack c motors that I already have. I don't have to much money. What plane do you plan to make?

I don't know, to be honest. I wanted to do the Sonic Cruiser, but if Thenated0g doesn't do the Machete i might give that a shot. FF 2019 is still 11.5mos away, i'm not in a hurry to decide.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so i had a big post about a plane i wanted to build, but then at last moment saw, "but never successfully built and flown at full scale." so i deleted it...

i thought it was just "never used in service." i guess i will keep looking unless you think the Fisher p-75 eagle might qualify?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_P-75_Eagle

been thinking/working on contra rotating props for a bit for another plane (cough, cough, legacy) and would love to build this.

laters,

me :cool:

Namactual

Elite member
The never used in service was for the FTFC18 WWII challenge.

Take the P-57 eagle and change it up a bit to make your own...
...and voila'
A fictional Mr-57 Stewart that has never flown before.;)

b-29er

Just a thought, about 90% of the designs on here would qualify for this, since most were unpursued plans or were not completed before the end of WWII

http://luft46.com/

This includes:
The Manta Ray
3bb607.jpg

Rejected due to looks
3bb207-3.jpg

Wasn't this in a Daft Punk movie?
3bbbmw4.jpg

Star Wars space fighter concept
3bfta283.jpg

This one's a canard, i promise!
3bhsp87.jpg

"what do we do with all these jet engines?"
3bj009.gif

That plane from Indiana Jones
3bm329.gif

no wait it was this one (Lippisch Li P.04-106 )
li04106.gif

Super-funky BF-109
3blp13a.gif

"Are we designing a missile or a plane"
"yes"
3bmente.jpg

In the event that an emergency egress is required, dont.
3bmschwb.jpg

I want to believe
3bas6.jpg

I want to do a V-22 Osprey but people actually fly those
3bw1003.gif

And much, much more. Actually, all of these could have fit into the last contest too. neat!

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
^^ I like that Manta Ray. ^^

Today I am going to focus on current future concepts...
F-22N.jpg
Here was the Navy's version of the F-22. That would have been a cool one.(y)

SR-72.jpg SR-72
:love:

FAXXLM.jpg
Lockheeds Sabre Warrior Concept. One manned fighter flanked by drones.

FAXXB.jpg
Boeings version as well as the 6th gen fighter concept.

"Tee minus two":cool:
Count06.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Started designing ---- Never done this before!! Eeeeek!!!
:)

Awesome!! Please do share the experience in a build thread with the design side questions and steps - there are lots of folks here who are happy to help and your experience will inspire and help others as well! :D