6S builds?

mcmoyer

I noticed that Flex is now producing two of their smaller planes in 6S versions, using batteries in the 1500 to 1800mah range. Those batteries seem to be reasonably priced. I'm still almost exclusively 4S right now. It got me to wondering if there's some flite test builds that are good done as a 6S version (prop, not EDF). Is 6S too much torque for the typical FT firewall?

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It's really going to depend on the motor size, motor KV rating, and the prop chosen. I have run quads originally designed for 3S on 6S with no ill effect. I doubt the firewall itself would be an issue. You do have to consider that torque roll may be higher, speeds may be higher, and with higher speeds, more G loading on the wings and control surfaces.

You also have to make sure your ESC(s) and BEC(s) are 6S rated so you don't let the smoke out.

quorneng

Master member
Technically there is no reason why a 6s setup needs to be any more powerful than a 3s.
With the right kV motor it will turn the same prop at the same speed. The only advantage in doing this would be the 50% drop in amps giving a reduction in the resistance losses. This would means for a similar battery weight a 6s setup would have a slightly better endurance but with the same performance.
However it is quite possible that at small motor sizes a sufficiently low kV motor is either not available or even practical.

perhapsleiana

Elite member
I've noticed when sizing motors for 6S builds that wide, flat motors can handle more power at the same weight and kv compared to more square-proportioned motors of the same weight. If you're planning to push the motor's limits with an overpowered setup going for maximum TWR, a more pancake-style motor is also easier to cool with airflow.