The Other XB-70 Build | Valkyrie V2

Pieliker96

Elite member
This is the last update before the maiden flight.

Batteries

1596756983377.png
These are pretty good. They give a good 7% more static thrust than previous (now 3.75kg) for a 6% increase in all-up weight. I'll have more capacity than previous as well, which allows more flight time margin.

Retract Woes
This is what I get for being cheap and not designing an easily accessable nose retract.

1596757230690.png 1596757401496.png
I had trouble getting the nose gear to lock down properly, it would collapse under braking load due to the trunnion slipping past the slider. I had to cut into the fuselage, unscrew the retract, and repair it while it was hanging there as the servo connector was deep inside the fuse on the other side of a very small hole. I managed to get it to work properly by adding heatshrink to the little tab that contacts the limit switches - this got it to the right place to lock the gear and seemed to fix it. On the next taxi test, the same issue cropped up on the mains, which recieved the same modification - one board died and had to be replaced in the process. When the mains were repaired, the nose stopped working due to a broken limit switch, which was then replaced with a spare. It worked for a while after that and then died again.

I'm keeping them locked in the down position for the maiden flight. I'll have to find a better nose gear and retrofit it for future flights.

Taxi Test Results
See the build video log below at 4:33. With the gear in a stable configuration, it performed admirably. The turning radius in high rates is quite a lot better than previous. Braking action was rather anemic at first and was subsequently improved by shortening the brake linkage (increasing tension) and reapplying hot glue to the braking surfaces. The nose gear mount survived braking at moderate speed and seems plenty strong. Any slop I notice from loading the nose gear is due to the retract unit itself, not the mounting. I may need to reduce braking pressure a tad as one of the nose wheels showed small patches where it was skidding. There was very little change in directional stability when the brakes were applied. I attribute this to toe-in on the main gear, the fact that the braking force is rather smooth and relatively small in magnitude, and the high moment of inertia around the craft's yaw axis.

Last Video Log

More Full-Sized Photos

1596758418658.png

1596758467005.png

-------------------- XB-70 V2: More Power, More Lift, More Engineering. --------------------​

Last edited:

Pieliker96

Elite member
And we have a maiden! The plane performed admirably and made it back in one piece. It's miles better than the original - I don't have to carry ridiculous amounts of power, it's got a good bit of climb rate, and I didn't have to trim anything at all. For a jet of its stature, it glides incredibly well - this contributed to one of my roughest landings yet as I had trouble getting it down and stopped on the runway. The brakes might've helped a tad, but I didn't notice them that much.

I've got to get some better retracts. They almost sabotaged the maiden flight by unintentionally retracting (and one getting stuck up) during a range test for whatever reason - I opened the unit, moved everything to down and locked, and cut the retracts' power wires so they couldn't try to get another one over on me.

Overexposed flight video:

Flight Debrief:

So there it is. From concept to flight in a bit over three months. It's been a journey.

-------------------- XB-70 V2: More Power, More Lift, More Engineering. --------------------​

Last edited:

the rc project

Hey @Pieliker96, I’m just starting an xb 70 project and have been using your experiences to help me out. If you remember what was the all up weight of the plane on maiden? I’m looking at using a 90mm to power around a 7 footer

Pieliker96

Elite member
Hey @Pieliker96, I’m just starting an xb 70 project and have been using your experiences to help me out. If you remember what was the all up weight of the plane on maiden? I’m looking at using a 90mm to power around a 7 footer

I ended up at 6.255kg with the batteries.

For performance metrics, to put it in perspective: that corresponds to a thrust-to-weight ratio of 0.6, power-to-weight of 290W/lb, a wing loading of 14.4 oz/sq. ft, and a wing cube loading of 3.7.

I also have a pusher-prop version that's around 6 feet in length. It clocks in at an all-up weight of 1.25kg, yielding a TWR = 1.1, power/weight = 120W/lb, WL = 6.7 oz/sq. ft, WCL = 2.7.

the rc project

I ended up at 6.255kg with the batteries.

For performance metrics, to put it in perspective: that corresponds to a thrust-to-weight ratio of 0.6, power-to-weight of 290W/lb, a wing loading of 14.4 oz/sq. ft, and a wing cube loading of 3.7.

I also have a pusher-prop version that's around 6 feet in length. It clocks in at an all-up weight of 1.25kg, yielding a TWR = 1.1, power/weight = 120W/lb, WL = 6.7 oz/sq. ft, WCL = 2.7.
Thank you! This is huge!!!