800mm FT Mustang

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Nerdnic. Your battery inside the power pod and the closed front end of the plane which i like to use for aerodynamic reason and looks gave me a new power pod idea ill post pics when i build my 800mm spit

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah definitely share. What method did you use to reinforce your wing? Also check the wing tip reinforcement I did on my full size FT Mustang in my signature. You'll need to do the same with your spit or else the wing tips will break on fast turns.

jayz 84

I work on jets for a living so i have lots of aluminum sheets here i have been doing the same way you have. Aluminum spar between the foam spar it makes it super strong and i use fiber tape on leading edge and under wing. ? Do you run the spar the length of the foam spar on the planes or all the way to the wing tips with under camber

jayz 84

I see what you did on the wing tips i did the same king of thing on my first spit full size with carbon fiber rod i forgot all about it dident think it help cause only got three flights on the bird now she just sits on my wall but thank ill for sure remember to do that

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I work on jets for a living so i have lots of aluminum sheets here i have been doing the same way you have. Aluminum spar between the foam spar it makes it super strong and i use fiber tape on leading edge and under wing. ? Do you run the spar the length of the foam spar on the planes or all the way to the wing tips with under camber

It's about the length of the foam spar. The aluminum comes in 3 feet pieces and I cut it in half to use in two planes.

jayz 84

hey nerdnic ? I printed my 800 mm spit and cut plans out. and I was trying to make my power pod mod which dident work out but still came up with a good idea for one to make me happy. but back to the ?. A true 800mm mustang and true 800mm spit. the power pod don't fit each other the spits fuse ends up being 1/8ths narrower so got to thinking did you print your plans at 80%? cause then the pod matches up but it makes the stang 800mm-32in but the spit comes out at 33.6in its not much a difference but in wingload its a big difference which can give it that more better glide and lower stall speed then the stang. so im gonna reprint the plans to the 80% and im building both planes

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah I reduced the full size to 80% on each, modified the tabs and folds etc. Did you print my reduced plans or did you just scale down the full size ones?

I chose 80% so you could use the one pod without me having to change the fuse size. I figured the wing is close enough to 800mm to call it good. You can change the wing though to whatever you want. The extra size on the mustang might help a tad but I've been playing around with the elevator and making the moving surface bigger actually helped some of my stall issues.

jayz 84

I scaled down the full size ones but i have both at 80% now. But i was thinking on doing a 34in size mustang. Instead for the wing load factor which should help with the stalling but havent made up my mind yet. Can just shim the fuse so the pod fits. But im surpized making the controls helps out kinda figured that might make it twitcher on slower speeds let me know how it wouks out

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Bigger will also fly slower. The larger control surface helped because I wasn't getting tip stalls, it was high speed elevator stalls.

jayz 84

Ya i know itll be slower thats what was keeping me from doing it.so im staying with the 800mm. Did you inlarge all controls or just the elevator and by how much

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Just the elevator. The ailerons were HUGE on the full size, so they came out just right on the 800mm, haha.

For the elevator I extended the trailing edge about half an inch. This helped a lot.

jayz 84

Ok im stating on my v2 stang now and ill try that elevator mod. Im all so thinking on moding the lower intake duct.taking it up a 1/4 of a inch like they did for the racing stangs for less drag but keeping the duct hole cause the vacuum effect itll make to help pull air in the nose to cool the motor and esc the mod just a thought but what the hell. Ill give it a go

jayz 84

Not done building that yet. But the idea i had dident pan out on plans so i just moded the pod mad it less then half the size so it just holds the motor and esc in it then im gonna put the pop off center fuse top i made so i can just take that off to change batterys easy. Instend of pulling the hole pod and wires out to change the battery which is why i hated the pod. But by doing it my way i can just pop the top change the battery and go but i still can put the pod in another plane if i like

jayz 84

Ill finish the pod and build up the fuse and post pix tomorrow on how it works

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I like this idea. Please post some more detailed pictures of how you made the 'hatch' also, I might just start doing this.

I swap the same motor into other plans so I want to keep that part, but the battery can be a real pain sometimes to change.

jayz 84

CAM00323.jpg CAM00324.jpg CAM00325.jpg
Here nerdnic i finished the pod its sometging short and easy to install and gives lots of room to mount the battery inside the fuse on the wing or make a tray for it.
Ill be starting the hatch tonight and post pix

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Looks great. So besides the one skewer holding the pod in do you have anything else keeping it from wiggling? Since it is not resting on the wing I'd imagine it will have play.

jayz 84

It will have the two in the motor mount and i can place two threw the pod 3in apart. In the past ive never had any of my pods rest on the wing and never any problems with wiggling.the only problems ive ever had is hot glue letting go from the mount to the pod. I was also thinks on making this pod out of 1/8 ply with epoxy

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I've had the same issue with the glue but using fiber tape across the front helps a lot.

Have you had this powerful of a motor in any of your other FT planes? I think the two skewers will hold but make sure to reinforce all your holes. Even with reinforcement overtime the skewer holes widen and things become looser. Just keep an eye on this because at slow speeds this really isn't an issue but can easily be catastrophic going 100.