A question about glue

alan0043

What brand is he using?
Every brand of contact cement I have tried eats the foam.

He never mentioned what brand. I was thinking the same thing about the contact cement melting foam. I have never tried using contact cement. It probably would be a good idea to have some test pieces and see what happens.

leaded50

Legendary member
every contact cement ive tried eats foam too. But, yes, on places where no foamedges are open, put together wet with careful use of amount, can be done without making it disaster, if no paper outside is removed. If inside paper is removed, normally it can eat much of foam away, but the glue keeps parts together.

I have a feeling the friend laminates PLAM and you do R/C. I have a feeling he's never tried this on foam, he's just being helpful with what seems like a good idea.

M

MCNC

Every contact glue I have ever used needed pretty good ventilation. Probably improved by now.

Piotrsko

Master member
There ARE Water based contact cements for places that are solvent sensitive like foam. That's how I used to laminate my ace foam cores with balsawood 40 years ago.

I use whatever adhesive I have handy.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
There ARE Water based contact cements for places that are solvent sensitive like foam. That's how I used to laminate my ace foam cores with balsawood 40 years ago.

Can you still buy foam cores today? Is someone knocking off the Ace ones or making something similar?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
There ARE Water based contact cements....
Water based contact cement, that would be prefect. Do you have a brand name?

I have had luck using solvent contact cement to glue a fiber mesh to foam. The trick is to only apply to the fiber. Let the solvent evaporate, then apply it to the foam. It will not stick. To make it stick, hit it with your covering iron, the heat reactivates the glue. Applying the glue to the fiber is a lot of mess and effort, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

I have had luck using solvent contact cement to glue a fiber mesh to foam. The trick is to only apply to the fiber. Let the solvent evaporate, then apply it to the foam. It will not stick. To make it stick, hit it with your covering iron, the heat reactivates the glue. It's a lot of mess and effort, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
Here is one I found at Home Depot

1637080621390.png

I have had luck using solvent contact cement to glue a fiber mesh to foam. The trick is to only apply to the fiber. Let the solvent evaporate, then apply it to the foam. It will not stick. To make it stick, hit it with your covering iron, the heat reactivates the glue. Applying the glue to the fiber is a lot of mess and effort, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.
I must be missing something.
Unless I'm mistaken, using BSI Foam-Cure or Beacon Foam-Tac is the same as using any contact cement, so why dig any deeper? Apply to both sides (one side and push them together, pull apart), give it a minute or three in the air, then push together permanently. What part am I missing?

foamboardflyer

You have to drive to Home Depot. Amazon is Earth-friendly because my computer runs on electricity (it comes from the wall) and then the glue appears at my door. No coal gets burned as far as I know. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Except for The diesel fuel there delivery trucks run on and the electricity your computer runs on comes from a power plant that’s burning coal, natural gas, nuclear boilers or other means of making power as we speak.

Except for The diesel fuel there delivery trucks run on and the electricity your computer runs on comes from a power plant that’s burning coal, natural gas, nuclear boilers or other means of making power as we speak.
You environmentalists always making up these outlandish stories.
I already said the electricity comes from my wall.
And I never saw any trucks.

(Haha it's like people saying "hunters shouldn't be allowed to kill animals for meat. They should get their meat from the grocery store where they make it.")

foamboardflyer

You environmentalists always making up these outlandish stories.
I already said the electricity comes from my wall.
And I never saw any trucks.

(Haha it's like people saying "hunters shouldn't be allowed to kill animals for meat. They should get their meat from the grocery store where they make it.")
I’m not a environmentalist, I love diesel trucks. natural gas and nuclear are both “sustainable” and “clean” power making methods and coal burning is very uncommon. I was just making a joke (and I thought you’re a environmentalist)

P.S. I’m a huge hunter.

SSgt Duramax

Im an environmentalist. I have my degree in that. It doesnt matter how you get your glue.

I did want to follow up on the gorilla glue though. It works great. I ended up with the white. While it foams a little more than i anticipated, it is indeed strong stuff. I think my result next time it will be cleaner when I use it. But it did a phenominal job adhering my pre minwaxed wing to the new fuselage on my chipmunk! I knew hot glue wouldnt cut it.

20211114_212721.jpg

20211114_224737.jpg

I’m not a environmentalist, I love diesel trucks. natural gas and nuclear are both “sustainable” and “clean” power making methods and coal burning is very uncommon. I was just making a joke (and I thought you’re a environmentalist)

P.S. I’m a huge hunter.
Haha! Of course I was joking really hard too. Actually I'm a dinosaur that went to high school when hand-me-down muscle cars were the thing, some all rusted out but loud & too fast for their own good, some still pretty... I still don't understand Jap cars (tuners, right?) Tune them all you want, get high revs and space age tech with your computers and all... I remember bigger engines, bigger displacement, push more fuel/air into those giant pistons, get bigger explosions, create more brute force. Do you know in a straight line these Chevys and Plymouths and Dodges went every bit as fast or faster than the highest tech European sports cars? Maserati, Lotus, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Lamborghini...

Wait. Sorry, this isn't the Coffee Shop, this is Glue. My bad.

Im an environmentalist. I have my degree in that. It doesnt matter how you get your glue.

I did want to follow up on the gorilla glue though. It works great. I ended up with the white. While it foams a little more than i anticipated, it is indeed strong stuff. I think my result next time it will be cleaner when I use it. But it did a phenominal job adhering my pre minwaxed wing to the new fuselage on my chipmunk! I knew hot glue wouldnt cut it.

View attachment 211971

View attachment 211972
Woo hoo! And with a tub of motor oil to weigh it down. Perfect. Yeah I got to know the white pretty well. Now you can run a real sharp blade along it to try to clean it up. A couple times I back-cut the fuselage sides slightly (back-sanded?) and used the glue sparingly, and any foaming mostly went into the fuse. I'm lately getting to know the clear GG. Haven't had any expansion yet. Interesting stuff.