Add plywood to store?

Foamforce

3/32” and 1/16” plywood is difficult to find and called for in many plans. Flite Test already has it in stock because it’s needed for manufacturing various parts of SBKs. Small sheets would fit well in the boxes of other stuff I buy. Could it possibly be offered for sale?

RossFPV

3/32” and 1/16” plywood is difficult to find and called for in many plans. Flite Test already has it in stock because it’s needed for manufacturing various parts of SBKs. Small sheets would fit well in the boxes of other stuff I buy. Could it possibly be offered for sale?
This would be SUPER helpful because i want to scratch build a master series plane but i dont have the wood spar.

RossFPV

I actually got curious about how hard it is to find and how expensive and on balsaUSA its under 40 for a sheet of 3/32 x 12 x 48 plywood AND free shipping but this doesn’t mean it wouldn't be nice to see on the store. I would love to see this on the store.

Foamforce

I actually got curious about how hard it is to find and how expensive and on balsaUSA its under 40 for a sheet of 3/32 x 12 x 48 plywood AND free shipping but this doesn’t mean it wouldn't be nice to see on the store. I would love to see this on the store.

It’s actually $23 shipping. You have to spend $150 to get the free shipping.

RossFPV

3089F8BA-4AAF-4EAC-9217-D63FBBE06E20.png

im not sure were you are but im in the united states if that makes a difference.

Tench745

Master member
Oof, those are some prices..... Aircraft spruce sells 3/32 birch ply for a lot less....
1673572695799.png
Shipping can be expensive with them sometimes though.

Foamforce

If I needed a bunch I would probably spring for it anyways, but I only need a few square inches here and there. For firewalls I just buy the premade ones from FT because those are a good value.

Right now I’m building a Tutor, and some landing gear parts are 3/32. I’m just going to modify to use the 1/8” that I can buy from HobbyLobby, but I’d sure like the 3/32. Save a few grams, easier to with with, and no modification to the plans.

FliteTest, could you sell me a little 6x12 sheet on my next order?

Foamforce

just go to your local hardware store. I‘ve had a big sheet for 2 years

None of the ones I’ve gone to have it in Madison, WI. I’ve tried a couple True Values, Ace, and one local one. There are a couple other local ones further away that I haven’t tried yet. Which hardware store did you find yours at?

Bo123

Elite member
None of the ones I’ve gone to have it in Madison, WI. I’ve tried a couple True Values, Ace, and one local one. There are a couple other local ones further away that I haven’t tried yet. Which hardware store did you find yours at?
BUNNINGS WAREHOUSE MATE! PICKED UP A GOOD SNAG WHILE I WAS THERE AS WELL.

danskis

Master member
I've had good luck at both True Value and Ace. Both of those also have more balsa than my local shop. I don't think the ply comes in 3/32 though. Maybe ask the manager to look into it?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Which hardware store did you find yours at?
I have found 1/16 & 1/32 ply at my local hardware store and at most big box stores, like Lowe's.

Don't look in the lumber department, they will not carry it. Look for a hobby display. They usually have several kinds of wood, balsa, birch ect. The ply will be anywhere from 4 inches to 12 inches wide and 1 to 4 feet long.

Foamforce

No luck in any of my stores. The best I’ve found is 1/8” from HobbyLobby. No Lowe’s here and Home Depot doesn’t have it. None of the hardware stores have it, nor the hobby stores. I’ve done a pretty exhaustive search.

As an interesting side note, I measured up the FT wooden control horns and firewalls. The control horns are about .071in, which is a bit thicker than 1/16”, and the firewalls are about .1”, which is a bit thicker than 3/23”. Meanwhile, the HobbyLobby 1/8” ply is .11, which is a bit smaller than 1/8“. I tried it in the Tutor landing gear tab and it fit without modification, so that’s what I’m going to do. I would still be happy to buy a sheet of 3/32“ from FT if they would list it on their store though.

Piotrsko

Master member
It isn't the thickness that matters, it's weight. if you really really really need 1/16, then you could sand the 1/8" if it has more than 3 layers. Otherwise just use what you can get and accept it's a wee bit heavier. If you use lots of hot glue in your construction, it won't even be a weight difference.

Foamforce

look what they just added to the store! small pack

I was excited for a moment, but I think the brown thing down in the photo is the packing material, not plywood.

Fwiw, when I emailed the store, they very nicely looked for a scrap of plywood that could send me, but couldn’t find one. It was a nice reply though.