Top Secret! Parasite Micro-figher: Model 985-20

What size should this project be for a 'ff 2020 community build?

• Total voters

jfaleo1

Well I threw together my slab sided prototype version tonight. 64mm fan, some things don't fit like I want, but plenty of room for battery, ESC, and Rx. once I solder the bullets on the fan motor I will finish it a bit more, but I think that it will still hav cheater intake on top. Hoping CG works out where I think it will, wing loading may be crazy high, but should be a rocket if it flies.

Attachments

• IMG_4400.jpeg
    IMG_4400.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4399.jpeg
    IMG_4399.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4397.jpeg
    IMG_4397.jpeg

jfaleo1

Ready to "fly", nose heavy, and heavier than I like but still a chance to fly. It will need to have power on for landing for sure, or at least a bunch of speed. next version will be lighter (less paper and foam in general), more airfoil, and more shaping of he fuselage too. oh and move the EDF aft I think.

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
  • IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great Job! 64mm Fan! yikes! This is gonna be a bullet if when it flies. What are the overall dimensions?

L Edge

Master member
Hmm, I have a spare 30mm EDF with a matching ESC sitting around that I have been trying to think of a project for. I have a bunch of nanotech 450mAh 3s lipos also, but I am not sure if they will end up being too heavy at 40g for any plane powered by this EDF. I would be interested to see how heavy your design ends up.

Have you taken a look at the new "swarm" design called the Valkyrie. IMHO, that might work with a 30 and be a different plane to design.

'

jfaleo1

I will get final measurements tonight, but wing is small and weight is high. So yes bullet IF it flies.

Span turned out to be 15 inches and it is 25 1/2 inches long nose to tail of fuselage, add another 1 1/2 inches from end of fuselage to tips of the fins so total of about 27 inches. Started the rework on the design already....

L Edge

Master member
That is a sexy plane. @L Edge try your hand at designing one!

Have designed 5 already with 64's. X-47B with no rudders or stab and 2 servos only, STOL 64 f-22, x-29 with 64, 64 EDFtrainer,GNU 64 with thrusters I designed so it flies in a dome.

Don't have any 30's. Sat down and tinkered with that design and with data on 30 size EDF from HH, it's got a chance.

FoamyDM

More Calvin and Hobbs, please!
You mean horrific crashes perpetrated by poor model building skills? Just watch my maiden videos! Hahaha.
latest

I shoved the 30mm in. Snug fit. A little easing may set it in ok enough to spin freely. Once I find the plan I will adjust slightly and rebuild. Then it's airborne!
IMG_20190910_071309151.jpg

FoamyDM

IS THIS HELPFUL to ANYONE?
I couldn't find my original plan set.
So, I build designed a 50mm version. I recorded my process.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

@jfaleo1 - I like what you are putting down!

FoamyDM

It's only been 21 months and I finally got my butt to build this:
IMG_20210728_120853243.jpg

Which after some folding and origami...
(The canopy is a work in progress)
IMG_20210826_080438700.jpg
IMG_20210826_080445610.jpg

IMG_20210826_080451728.jpg IMG_20210826_080457237.jpg IMG_20210826_080528523.jpg IMG_20210826_080535971.jpg
Note the CG mark, and the balancing nickel.
In the inlet shot, see where the 2200mah 3S battery has been placed.

This is the glide test:

Which means - time for electronics!
My concerns are that the exhaust is too small.

FoamyDM

Now it is time to put in electronics and try this plane.

As I work on that it is time to work toward the end goal... of the 747.
1630007694173.png

Right now I will be throwing out some basic numbers. just to get a sense of how big this 747 would have to be.
Wingspan of the Microfighter14.75"
The fuse would need to be a 16" diameter clear
Making the Circumference 50",
The 747 Fuse will be 150" long
And the wingspan would be 140". Each wing be 93" long. With a chord at the base being 32".

I am thinking the internal conveyance system will be mostly gravity fed, something like this:

another Option is to go with a 35mm EDF system producing 172g thrust
1630086369375.png

cyclone3350

Master member
Now it is time to put in electronics and try this plane.

As I work on that it is time to work toward the end goal... of the 747.
View attachment 205877

Right now I will be throwing out some basic numbers. just to get a sense of how big this 747 would have to be.
Wingspan of the Microfighter14.75"
The fuse would need to be a 16" diameter clear
Making the Circumference 50",
The 747 Fuse will be 150" long
And the wingspan would be 140". Each wing be 93" long. With a chord at the base being 32".

I am thinking the internal conveyance system will be mostly gravity fed, something like this:

another Option is to go with a 35mm EDF system producing 172g thrust
View attachment 205939
A 12' WS 747. Oh yeah, we all would luv to that. Considering the FT 14' B-52, we know it can be done.

FoamyDM

Oooh talking about one of my favorite subjects. Interesting article and a Shameless plug. I need to get back to work on this.

That 747 mothership and parasites smells like a community challenge. ;) What if there were 2 of them against each other at flitefest22 :unsure:
@Scotto this is a great idea!
I would love to do This... A year out should be enough time too. I suppose the first thing would be to nail down the size constraint. I will be working on this with the intent. I think I will put out a Poll. and in the meantime get both fighter types working.

Big Question for me is, is should it be an EZ parasite build with a transportable 747. Or a 50mm fighter with a Monster built 747.

Ez built parasite. Allows kids to get involved. The 50mm fighters should be a ball.
Or should i try a 35mm EDF and see if can get that to fly well?
(I will poll)

I know bigger is better, however I have a number of considerations. Some of which is cost. Edfs and escs for them start costing money. 6S are not cheap either...

Looks like time to start a budget analysis. That will help me and the other guy looking to fly these

Scotto

Elite member
the first thing would be to nail down the size constraint
Ya its a tough decision. There are so many factors to consider. I dont want to impose on your project or have you change your vision of it for my sake, but heres some of my thoughts.

Im picturing a more boxy simpler 747 thats not so scale, with alot bigger wing chord, maybe a touch less sweep, and maybe bdf or something like the ft a10 with the clear 3 blade props. Trying to keep it cheaper, lighter, slower, more flight time, and quicker and simpler construction, so that the internal conveyor and delivery system gets the most engineering.
The fighters I think would be awesome to have a definite length x width and say a piece of metal on the top at cg for the electromagnet (or however that would be) and leave everything else open to edf or ez, chuck or fpv, whatever somebody wants to put in it.$. I dont know what the wingspan of the ft ez f18 is, but I think itd be awesome because you know there would be plenty of those you could load up and all the wild one-off custom jobs too. I dont know how small a plane you could put fpv on. The https://www.backcountryrc.com planes look like fun. They are 4(or5) channel and 9 to 10 inches wide. And there are probly alot of planes in @GrizWiz Ez pack plans index that would be fun to include.
Hey if the engineers on the real project couldnt commit to one design, why should we?:p Really on a surface aircraft carrier there are multiple types of aircraft. You gotta have your fast interceptors and your heavy hitters and sub hunters and vip transporters lol. So diversity of parasites is a good thing.:unsure:

FoamyDM

I put the motor in this bird last night. (It fit perfect for for where I wanted.. then I tried to balance it... :(

I could get a balance only with a 450mah battery. (cool if I want to fly for, say, 1 1/2 minutes)

I know I could add servos aft to help. It has helped me see some improvement locations... I may need some minor mods and a Fuse rebuild. (it was quick.)

I am still considering the smaller versions too. They are more of a Challenge to get flying.