AMA Poll about FPV

mvaller00

Perfectly said Flying Monkey.... I agree with you 100%. Although, I would add this...

Instead of a mass of people writing in to their officials all saying different things and sharing their concerns... I say it might be more beneficial and attainable to the mission, to have one letter which everyone signs which states what the AMA or FPV community or whomever is looking for. (because to be honest, I don't even think we even know at this point what we want at this point)

It's sad but I agree... corporatism being what it is... I'm sure business/money will prevail in this area of influencing the political aspect of this unfortunately. Dont' even get me started on politics... LOL :)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Without going too far into the corporate evil versus the triumphant little guy, I don't think it's going to be "the man" keeping us down. When it comes to government and industry using these things for commercial use, I highly doubt companies like lockheed martin, ratheon etc are going to be worried about this group of hobby people cutting into their profits. I have yet to see a company other than those with military contracts put out something that could compete. Where do you think most of this technology comes from anyway? We're playing with the old outdated versions of what they created.

I agree that mass mailing the AMA or congress isn't the best way to go unless we were all sending the same message. We should put some time into learning more about what the other side is doing, what the AMA is doing, and then make a clearly formed argument for what we want. First thing is, what do we want?

Hey Gang

Here is my five cent's worth. I don't want to be regulated. Regulation does not replace education. Coupled with this, if regulated who will police FPV? More importantly will regulation prevent people with ill intent? Absolutely not. This may come as a surprise but what we are doing is on the fringe. Why draw attention to ourselves? Excuse the pun, but we will only get ourselves shot down.

I will now step down from my soap box.

DM

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The AMA's current rules on flying FPV (and note that the AMA rules are not federal, state, or local laws) clearly indicate to me that they are anti FPV. Who actually gets into FPV because they want to keep their plane within "line of sight"? To me, that's only sounds like the AMAs subtle way of saying "don't do it". What's the point in flying FPV line of sight? Here in the Ozarks there's so many hills and trees just flying to the next field over means you'll be out of the LoS.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
. . AMA's. . . .clearly indicate to me that they are anti FPV.

Who actually gets into FPV because they want to keep their plane within "line of sight"?

I don't think it would be hard to have any government body easily coming down hard on FPV. Reason I say this, is when our friends and family look at our planes and I tell them what we can do with FPV, they automatically think the worst and start coming up with the "what if scenarios". This really drives me nuts because "what if people were allowed to have guns" is what comes to mind. I can think of a lot more what if scenarios when it comes to guns than a foam model.

As far a the LoS issue goes I'm perfectly cool with that if that's the way they go as it would still be a lot of fun. I also know I can see aircraft at a long distance so LoS could be pretty far :D

Even this sort of fly looks like a lot of fun!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have some friends that FPV and they go well beyond range of sight with pretty simple equipment. They are responsible about it and always use a spotter to call out birds, planes, other models etc. Even still, they have gone over 8000 feet away and 6000 feet up. It wouldn't be hard to see an agency freaking out about this.

The policing will come through regulations restricting the sale of the equipment, not individuals out scanning the skies. Still, a passing cop could write you a ticket or confiscate your equipment if the rules were written as such.

I hope it doesn't go that way, but FPV is bringing unwanted attention to the hobby which leads to further scrutiny. This FPV craze could end up making it worse for everyone, I believe this is why the AMA is unsupportive of it. They have fought long and hard to keep the regulations at a minimum and if FPV gets the wrong kind of attention it may ruin flying for all of us.

Like anything else, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

As long as everyone is responsible and safe then we can get away with whatever we want but as soon as someone has a public event where their plane crashes into a building or car or something, or people think they're being spied on, it's all going to end badly.

Hey Gang

I think Joe Public is paranoid. I've had many similar experiences to bmsweb where people start coming up with "what if scenarios".

I'm not sure if anyone watched Phoenix Fox 10 News item on drones featuring Ed from Experimental Airlines. There was no mention of the name Peace Drone (notice the word peace). There was no mention of the Armin Wing developed and named after Ed's son. There was definitely no mention of how Ed has inspired many people to build RC aircraft (not necessarily FPV). The focus instead was on it's military uses, loss of civil liberties (ironic really) and regulation.

I think if we can just keep out of the spotlight for a while then the focus will change to something else. Like the growing possibility of another global depression/ recession. Something that has real ramifications. Maybe we could regulate this to prevent it from happening?

DM

earthsciteach

I am really tired of hearing the "If you do that, you'll ruin everything for the rest of us" statements by so many. Good Lord, whatever happened to good old fashioned creativity and fun??? How about this: Have fun with what you are doing. Just be smart about it. Be responsible for what you are doing, and most of all, use common sense!

America used to be "The Home of the Free and Land of the Brave." Now it seems to be "The Home of the Fearful and Land of the Paranoid."

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Sounds like Big Brother has us exactly where he wants us: We think of a new exciting way to have fun with a hobby and immediately we start asking for regulation and gov't involvement.

Ooh, we have a new toy, let's get the gov't involved so we can stay safe!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I am really tired of hearing the "If you do that, you'll ruin everything for the rest of us" statements by so many. Good Lord, whatever happened to good old fashioned creativity and fun??? How about this: Have fun with what you are doing. Just be smart about it. Be responsible for what you are doing, and most of all, use common sense!

America used to be "The Home of the Free and Land of the Brave." Now it seems to be "The Home of the Fearful and Land of the Paranoid."

I'm with you man, just trying to convey where I think the other side is coming from. Know thy enemy. I was just talking the other day about how famous the McDonalds coffee lady is and how that was the sign of the downfall of the universe. When the stupid are allowed to set the pace, we all suffer. I work in an atmosphere where all things are designed around the lowest common denominator. All things have to be safe and able to be performed by the least capable and those of us who can shine are shackled by their ineptitude. Unfortunately until they let me start shooting the dumb people, my situation isn't going to change. Problem is someone smarter than me may have me in their sights lol.

Either way, hopefully this fear of FPV will be over soon and the government won't step in and ruin things. Hopefully it will also stay in the hands of good people who use it in the right ways.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
What I have been wondering is what happens when all those DJI NAZA controllers that have to phone home to China to report in suddenly go "China Syndrome", "Skynet" on us? ;)

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
What I have been wondering is what happens when all those DJI NAZA controllers that have to phone home to China to report in suddenly go "China Syndrome", "Skynet" on us? ;)
Thurmond

Seriously! Hasn't ANYBODY seen the Terminator movies? You KNOW what happens.
Just hopefully the AI self awareness does not coincide with the zombie apocalypse.
We're boned.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hey 20 years or so ago I was in a club almost as bad as that. The funny thing is the people who would inspect my model would always tell me off for flying too low yet they were the ones smashing models ;) . . but it was a lot of fun.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Well, I guess that's a good thing about not having a club... You can do what you want!

Well this should be the wrong attitude! But I would have difficulty joining a club again with the many restriction. I visited a locally club a few months ago and the people I spoke with were totally against FPV :confused:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Well this should be the wrong attitude! But I would have difficulty joining a club again with the many restriction. I visited a locally club a few months ago and the people I spoke with were totally against FPV :confused:

I am happy that RC is not regulated here yet - but that opinion may change as soon as other flyers come in here :confused:

I bet I could fly FPV anywhere without any regulations - however if I make it to the news I might get some opposers. You know how news tend to make the worst out of everything - remember ExAir's interview - they only claimed it was privacy abuse!