And so it begins...

Very cool app for the iPhone there G. Thanks for the Y-tube link.

I'd balanced the props using a proper balancer, but motors were just by feel; so I'll be checking them out with this.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey colorex,

My motors (also DT750s) spin fine. There is a very fine ratchet effect as the magnets pass each pole of the stator - but no friction preventing spin.

Have you drilled the arm under the motor mount?

As recommended by the guru (aka David Windestal):

The motor axel can extend a fraction of a mm out of the bottom of the motor mount base, and to prevent it rubbing against the arm I simply drilled away a tiny bit of wood underneath the mount. http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/tricopterv25/tricopterv25.html

Cheers,
G

Yeah, I've read that - but I haven't mounted the motors yet. I'll remember to drill that hole as I'm going to use aluminium booms like Eric (Shadow) does. But still while spinning them in my hand they seem to be a bit hard. I don't have to use extreme force, but I have to pinch quite a bit on the axle to get it spinning.

Is there a way to know if the axle is not spinning freely once I have my ESC's?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Colorex,

I think you will love the aluminum booms.....the more rigid the frame.....the better.....especially for carrying a camera.

The bigger, heavier, and more powerful multi-rotors are......the better they handle/perform. Just the same as a regular single rotor R/C Heli......the 700 sized heli's are the most smooth and best handling.....where as a 400 is twitchy and not as stable by comparison.

When i built a quad from wood arms, it seemed to fly just fine......but when I looked at the footage. JELLO city. ;)

The aluminum arms have their drawbacks cuz they are a bit heavier, but if you power the machine with the right motors, lipos it won't matter.

I will probably build a wooden armed tri-copter for practicing FPV because if there is vibrations, it won't matter quite as much...but for filming, gonna go BIG, HEAVY, and POWERFUL. LOL :)

Eric