Andre's E-Flite Pawnee Brave Night Flyer

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
No mine does not seem to do that.
But I tend to always do the AS3X boot up on the field in a flat area I've taken off before and the plane flew funny because I was on a dip.

I might pull that RX but so far I've been able to live with it.

HawkMan

I do the startup on the field on level ground, though I don't lift the tail since it's got a fairly high wheel, and unlike the sukhoi it doesn't have auto level so it shouldn't really care about fully level(so awesome when the sukhoi think level is like 30 degrees up and the level doesn't even mention lifting the tail on activation :p)

so far the tail waggle hasn't caused any real issues since it only does it occasionally and doesn't really affect flight that much except, adding some weird waggle for a second or two.

HawkMan

Do you even balance the props on this one though ? mine seem to both be badly balanced so it sounds like it has a gas engine when flying :p

I tried balancing one here the other day, sanding did nothing, so I started with blank tape. Two of the blades now have a thick layer of tape and even the third had to get a piece of tape, and I still couldn't get it balanced...

at least it's not like the fully eccentric hole on one of my sukhoi props(which probably caused such bad vibrations it's what caused the flight controller to freak out and smash me in the ground).

But I'm not getting to be a fan of 3 bladed props from this plane that's for sure, as much as I love it otherwise :)

HawkMan

Well it gets quite tight in there, especially with the adapter bit for the lights, but then it should have been more consistent. But I'll have to keep and eye on it.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Pawnee at night

During my Ohio trip I made sure to bring the Pawnee.
This video was captured at 9:30 PM.

I still think the plane is over priced but can't help but love it.

HawkMan

I'm not sure I'd say it's over priced. I mean compared to what ? if I compare to my STM Beaver that is about the same size but a high wing. it's a chinese make. it comes with "a" flap servo. meaning if I disable it , I need to adjust the flaps so I never do. The servos in it are also cheap and I've had a few problems with the original servos, but eh. it also doesn't have lights of course. as a bonus it's RTF. but I don't fly with the orignal radio and it comes with floatd as well.

overall. they both look good. but the e-flite does have better quality, it also has better electronics(servos), lights ad it has a gyro, though I'm not sure it's really necessary. so while it is slightly more expensive. it's also a higher quality product.

if you compare to something like a Durafly Tundra, then yeah it's more expensive again. but there's still the higher quality foam, electronics, and the lights. I do wish they had sold this, and their other BNF models as PNP as well for cheaper though. since a lot of the price comes from the expensive receivers. and honestly, I'd probably fly it just as well with an X6R or something. As of today there isn't even a comparable model from Durafly or the other chinese makers either that offer the same out of the box experience.

So yeah, it's not a cheap model, none of the Horizon/E-flite's are, but it's a solid plane that offers plenty of joy for the money. and local parts access if something should happen.

kful

Video is coming.

I installed some bigger tires.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number or size of those tires, would you? I'd like to put some bigger tires on the Pawnee I just got.

Also, thanks for the tip about the different screws for the landing gear. I can't believe how cheap the stock screws are.

Thanks again,

Don

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Wheels.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23446__Lightweight_Scale_wheel_100mm_2pc_.html

I just installed some larger nuts and bolts.
The stock hardware sort of left the plane last weekend ;)

IMG_0146.JPG IMG_0186.JPG

And a recent flight.

KT0YCI

Broken Landing Gear Mount

Thought I'd share this because the same thing happened to me. I bounced a landing, wasn't even that hard. I've bounced my Apprentice way harder when I was just starting out. I was just a little low on airspeed and flared a little early (and high) and she dropped out of the air, maybe a foot or so and POP! But mine was worse than yours:

IMG_20170125_224908.jpg

This is a really bad/weak design. The plastic is way to thin and very brittle. I checked with Horizon Hobby tech support and they don't even sell this piece normally believe it or not. Luckily for me a fellow club member is also a talented CNC machinist and he made this for me:

IMG_20170123_202610_751 (1).jpg
IMG_20170123_202705_117-2 (1).jpg

It's made from a block of 6061-T6 Aluminum and all it took was a tiny bit of foam trimming (because its a little wider nose to tail) and some new machine screws to mount the gear:

att_1485310405316122 (1).jpg
att_148531038690272 (1).jpg
IMG_20170125_221956.jpg

VOLIA!! Better than new! If I bust this gear mount its time for a new plane...

Tracy

Last edited:

KT0YCI

Andre, thank you for posting your experience with the Piper Pawnee here and on the podcast with the guys. I asked my local shop for the Pawnee when I first heard about it, when it came in my wife made me put it under the Christmas Tree. Never had a plane with AS3X. Thanks for the tip about removing expo, it now flies like it's on rails!

I had to replace my second three bladed prop that came in the box (which I could never get properly balanced), so I took a 16x8E and cut it to 12", then balanced it.

I am getting 30 minutes with a zippy 3s 5000 mah battery at 30 to 40% throttle. The only mods I have made have been: white gorilla glue wings together and to fuselage, epoxy firewall, glue 1/4" birch ply to main gear attach point (that plastic is brittle), and change the battery connector to a T60.

My best landings have been where I am around 20' when I turn to final and fast enough where the turn is not mushy (on the verge of a stall), then chop the throttle and let the AS3X hold it steady. When the plane noses down (about 3 feet above the runway) I apply a little, then more and more back pressure to the elevator just like full scale, until it touches down at a brisk walk. I am landing on grass with the original wheels, but taking off in an asphalt parking lot.

FYI- With a 2200mah the CG was a little too far aft on my setup.

Keep up the great work!

Justin

Justin,

What's the model on the Zippy 5000 and where did you have it positioned, if you don't mind me asking?

I've been flying with Turnigy Heavy Duty 2200mAh 3S 60C packs (105 x 35 x 27mm - 193g (4.13 x 1.38 x 1.06 in - 6.81 oz)) CG at 89mm per the manual.

With the pack shoved all the way up against the firewall everything is seems about perfect.

I've got a couple of e-flite 3200s from/for my apprentice that I haven't tried yet. I'd like some more air time per pack.

Thanks,
Tracy