Anti-drone market trends.... <sigh>

I somehow got on a mailing list (at work) for a company that puts out market trend forecasts for companies to use in planning future business development efforts. Being ridiculously expensive, I'd never even consider buying one of their reports, but I had to do a double take on this one:

https://www.asdreports.com/market-research-report-262244/anti-drone-market-global-forecast

At first I thought they would just be considering defense use, but looking through the table of contents shows a breakout by not only defense/military use, but also for commercial and household use. (emphasis mine)

A preview is included below.

"The global anti-drone market estimated to grow at a CAGR of 23.89%

The global anti-drone market is expected to reach USD 1.14 billion by 2022, growing at a CAGR of 23.89% between 2017 and 2022. The anti-drone systems are being adopted on the large scale by various verticals to protect against unidentified drones entering into the premises, thereby causing security concerns. In the coming years, counter drones technology would play a very crucial role fighting the drone strikes and the spying drones. The key factors driving the anti-drones market are increased security breach incidences by the unidentified drones and increased terrorism and illicit activities."

Who'd have thought our activities could lead to this sort of consternation????

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Horrible New trend

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Businesses pray on people's fears...and with good reason...IT WORKS! I remember when the power went out for a few weeks when Ohio was hit by the remains of hurricane Ike. If you went to the store and asked for a generator you were laughed at. People would buy them up like milk during a snow storm. Which would be another example. Need to road trip to your holiday destination? Strange fuel prices magically increase...it's like they knew people would use more fuel during a high travel holiday season. I know there is a difference between real fears and artificially generated fears. The rumors that something won't be available so get it now mentality.

The anti drone market is about as viable as the Y2K market back in 1999. Handheld radios, generators, bottled water, and canned food were a hot commodity. People made and lost a lot of money around that time. Also just as the Y2K thing passed...so will this.

The consumer market is artificially stimulated by fear from time to time, so is the business market. That is how terrible business insurance products are sold. Things like bankruptcy protections...pay such and such insurance and you won't have anything out of pocket during a chapter 7. Uh what? You wouldn't have anything out of pocket anyway.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Eh, part of the problem is when people create systems, you don't also think about defending the system from attack. It's interesting having started in my field in cryptography, how different it was compared to a lot of other systems I've since worked on. In cryptography, cryptanalysis is always part of the equation and goes into every design consideration. You actually become used to a sort of "paranoid" mindset in thinking of ways people can attack your system.

We might not need that in every case, but I certainly believe we need more of it.

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/hacker-says-can-hijack-35k-police-drone-mile-away/

Illustrates how simple it is to negatively impact our stuff. I'd go further that this article focuses too much on inserting serial/autonomous flight commands into a system, and it's much easier to just hijack direct control aircraft.

It's a two way street. Ultimately, as in cryptography, the people who could best hack a system were also the people who could best create a hard to hack system. In the world of ciphers, there was sort of a paradox that you get more security with openness so that people can critique your stuff to prove or disprove its security.

There's not a whole lot of activity as I can see with a cursory look, but people are / were thinking about this:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/smavlink-secure-mavlink-request-for-comments