Any flying events near Tampa FL?

I am a noob to RC. I have met a few RC enthusiasts in my local hobby town usa store, but they just fly solo in open fields.

Are there any flying events close to me (Tampa, FL) ?

Thanks in advance.

Tactical Ex

Outside of the RC club events I haven't found any. I'm kind of new too but the clubs I have visited didn't seem like any fun. Maybe some else from the area will see this post and enlighten us.

bitogre

I found this which shows a number of events in Florida. This might be a good starting point. I am curious what you think of this.

Please let me know if you find any events that I, as a noob also in Florida, might be interested in attending.

NewZee

Hi peddiparth, Just a heads up while on vacation this month in Indian Rocks Beach, I stopped in at a "fun Fly" at Largo flying club! great bunch of folks, very friendly and welcoming! you should check them out (They are an AMA club so you might need to join)

Thanks for the info bitogre and NewZee. My community center has a golf course and a lot of open area. Since it was a beautiful day outside, I was there learning to fly my modified alevon nutball build.

There seems to be an AMA flying field/club on I-4 near Seffner (30 min drive), and the flying club in Largo (about 1.5hrs drive).
I suppose there is no harm in joining AMA to access these flying clubs.

Tactical Ex

I read about the largo club online http://largoflyingclub.org/member.php usually having your AMA wont cut it alone. You will have to pay member fees to join and use the field. The link in this post links to the member info page for the largo club. I will be getting my AMA regardless because it is good to have but I don't think I will ever join a club if there are fees involved. This hobby is expensive enough on it's own and there is nothing stopping you from flying a foam electric plane in a park. I'm sure the Largo club is great group of guys, though. Maybe a Tampa Bay area Rogue Flyers club is in order.

creyc

Tampa area here as well. I've been to the Largo field and it's a pretty nice group of folks, but yes it is membership based. I think they have a 'fun fly' coming up May 10th, might be worth checking out.