Any good tutorials on advanced multirotor flight?

baddox

I'm not necessarily looking for info on flips and acrobatic maneuvers, but just solid reliable flight. I know it's important to learn how to mix rudder in your turns, fly nose-in, etc. but I can't seem to find many videos. Should I perhaps looks for RC heli video tutorials and try to apply those principles?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
There are three great ways to learn IF you're on your own, as I was.

First is a sim. It can't replace real life, but it will get you acquainted with the basics. It will also get you past the stark, brain numbing confusion of nose-in flying.

Second is purchasing a relatively cheap "non-breakable" quad. An additional plus side is they are always very small, so you can practice inside.

Third is when you first lift-off your "full-size" multirotor. . .force yourself to do little else but hover a meter or two above the ground for the first two or three flights.

baddox

I skipped the simulator, but I've been flying a Syma X1 quad for a month or so, mostly inside but some outside as well. So I'm familiar with how all the controls work, and at least aware of orientation issues (not that I'm great at that yet, of course). What I'm still lost on is the appropriate way to do basic banking turns. I tend to just fly with the roll and yaw while trying to keep the nose away from me, but I can tell that this is very limiting.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can use some of the heli training stuff to help with this. Since the multi's fly much like a heli, the techniques transfer well. It's not exactly the same but it does help with flying nose in and such.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I learned to fly CP helicopters. Not well, but well enough. It's been a huge help in getting my brain to work right when it comes to proper use of rudder in turns.

I learned to fly CP helicopters. Not well, but well enough. It's been a huge help in getting my brain to work right when it comes to proper use of rudder in turns.

+10 on that. Helps insanely. Makes multis easier, if you've flown CP helis. Everything from throttle management to rudder mixing, with the added advantage of very very reduced torque effect on multis.

I'm not great at flying multis, but can feel how much the heli has helped. But, not at all essential.

Johan

I've been practicing so far with Heli-x, (http://www.heli-x.net), a heli-only simulator with a very nice physics engine and multi-rotor support.
You can try it free (with nag screens to buy it every one in a while)
Got it working (on Mac, but works on Windows and linux as well) with my er9x flashed tgy 9x and the Hk 9 in one wireless adapter.
You can download extra copters and flying fields or create your own.

You might want to check it out.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I've mentioned this before, but Dealextreme has the transmitter cords, pass-through dongle and several sims for $20.00

Don't ask me how they do that. . . :rolleyes: but for a song, you can have most all the higher-end sims.

Last edited: