Anybody else scratch building tonight?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you have the wings close enough while being staggered you can have each wing benefit from the airflow over the previous wing, which will create a large compound wing with extremely high lift and even larger amounts of drag. This is a good video of the concept. I built something like this a long, long time ago in the form of a large square craft to fly indoors, with I think 25 individual wings. despite being 4 feet x 4 feet it was easily able to fly around in a gym because it was just so slow.
This definitely looks like a neat concept and seems to fly slow in the vid, one thing I didn't see was a stall test, full back on both sticks. This would be something cool to try on a 3D plane though.

Vimana89

Legendary member
With bad weather, time, and foam, I've got nothing to lose by trying something crazy. Here's my four wings and the hard template for the fuselage. I'm going to work on the V tails next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
With bad weather, time, and foam, I've got nothing to lose by trying something crazy. Here's my four wings and the hard template for the fuselage. I'm going to work on the V tails next.
I like that. Next time I have a good chunk of free time and don't have the weather to go fly, I've got enough electronics salvaged from crashed airplanes to build something crazy. Might just take a delve into Outerzone to find some old plans to remake in FB... Or just go mad and build something completely ridiculous that may or may not end up working at all. I had an idea a while ago for a "flying bookshelf" which would basically just be 8 stacked wings with zero stagger or dihedral, no control surfaces and a motor at each corner (four in total) which would control elevator and rudder, for an airplane steered entirely by differential thrust...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I like that. Next time I have a good chunk of free time and don't have the weather to go fly, I've got enough electronics salvaged from crashed airplanes to build something crazy. Might just take a delve into Outerzone to find some old plans to remake in FB... Or just go mad and build something completely ridiculous that may or may not end up working at all. I had an idea a while ago for a "flying bookshelf" which would basically just be 8 stacked wings with zero stagger or dihedral, no control surfaces and a motor at each corner (four in total) which would control elevator and rudder, for an airplane steered entirely by differential thrust...
Sounds like it would be awesome, especially if you got it to fly well "props up" and "props forward" and transition smooth. Took a break but gonna put in some more work on my build I'll post when she's done.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Sounds like it would be awesome, especially if you got it to fly well "props up" and "props forward" and transition smooth. Took a break but gonna put in some more work on my build I'll post when she's done.

LOL I didn't take the fact that it's basically just a quadcopter with some wings strapped to it. I have a feeling with some creative flight controller usage it could be the worlds simplest VTOL airplane. Or maybe, you don't even need a flight controller, just a lot of mixes to replicate quadcopter controls?

Vimana89

Legendary member
LOL I didn't take the fact that it's basically just a quadcopter with some wings strapped to it. I have a feeling with some creative flight controller usage it could be the worlds simplest VTOL airplane. Or maybe, you don't even need a flight controller, just a lot of mixes to replicate quadcopter controls?
Not my area of expertise, but it sounds totally doable. Aim for vtol/transition flight, and talk to the right people here(probably experienced quad flyers and 2+ engine aficionados as far as fixed wing goes) and see how to program it. I love the idea, it would create something totally unique that bridges the gap further between the fixed wing and multi rotor sections of the community👍

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Not my area of expertise, but it sounds totally doable. Aim for vtol/transition flight, and talk to the right people here(probably experienced quad flyers and 2+ engine aficionados as far as fixed wing goes) and see how to program it. I love the idea, it would create something totally unique that bridges the gap further between the fixed wing and multi rotor sections of the community👍
Unfortunately upon review of my motor/esc inventory (which took a while because it's huge) I don't have 4 motors that are all the same size. Luckily with the cost of motors and ESCS on banggood (and especially aliexpress, holy hell!) being questionably low I might have just run out of excuses not to build this.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Unfortunately upon review of my motor/esc inventory (which took a while because it's huge) I don't have 4 motors that are all the same size. Luckily with the cost of motors and ESCS on banggood (and especially aliexpress, holy hell!) being questionably low I might have just run out of excuses not to build this.
That project is definitely worthy of a build thread! We LOVE things that shouldn't fly, but do. It was the FT videos that have brought us all here, afterall. Even they haven't made a bookshelf fly! ;)

Vimana89

Legendary member
That project is definitely worthy of a build thread! We LOVE things that shouldn't fly, but do. It was the FT videos that have brought us all here, afterall. Even they haven't made a bookshelf fly! ;)
Done!(or will be soon). Four wing plane. It's something I like, and if it doesn't work this time, or next time, or whatever, and I have to put it off a bit...still worth trying later. I think with my experience at this point and the support of the community, this one will be sooner thather than later.:)

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Done!(or will be soon). Four wing plane. It's something I like, and if it doesn't work this time, or next time, or whatever, and I have to put it off a bit...still worth trying later. I think with my experience at this point and the support of the community, this one will be sooner thather than later.:)
I think beauty pictures are a necessity at this point.

On another note... while looking through my motor selection which also tends to become random prop storage (because sometimes I can't be bothered to remove the prop from a motor after removing it from a plane) I found a couple of APC 7x10s which I don't remember buying (or what I bought them for) which screamed at me "Mount me on something and go fast!"

This resulted...

weevil2.png

Just a concept for now. Don't know if I'll ever build it myself because I'm swamped with projects at the moment but I'll probably make plans for it and release them if someone wants to build it themselves. Still a lot to figure out about it though but I have the basic idea so far nailed down.