Anybody else scratch building tonight?

leaded50

Legendary member
started the Yokosuka D4Y dive bomber build ...

Attachments

• y_a.png
    y_a.png
    974.8 KB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
@whackflyer I dig the new avatar!
Thanks! If you can't tell I'm a bush plane fanatic and a half but also like you am endeavoring to get into 3D!
Unknown-2.jpeg

IMG_2305.JPG
Trent's Kitfox above is pretty much the most legit bush plane I've ever seen. That or a Super Cub. I have the 67" FMS Super Cub. If you want a load of awesome bush plane pics you know who to talk to🤣

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I was looking up photos of the D4Y and I came across this photo
38575277566_1ebed39d41_b.jpg

This is the D4Y owned by the museum I work at, Planes of Fame in Chino, Ca. Aside from making me miss working on the Flying Fortress there's something interesting in the background. That is, in fact, not a ME-163 Komet. It is a Mitsubishi J8M, a Japanese license-built version of the ME-163. It is one of two surviving examples.

leaded50

Legendary member
I was looking up photos of the D4Y and I came across this photo
View attachment 164162

This is the D4Y owned by the museum I work at, Planes of Fame in Chino, Ca. Aside from making me miss working on the Flying Fortress there's something interesting in the background. That is, in fact, not a ME-163 Komet. It is a Mitsubishi J8M, a Japanese license-built version of the ME-163. It is one of two surviving examples.

This is the radial motor version... not as nice. Even not any Mistu´, but the radial motor version used a Mitsubishi MK8P Kinsei engine. The Yokosuka was indeed inspired by a Heinkel prototype, the HE 118 though, but have nothing to do with either license build or ME 163.
The inline version motored did use a Aichi Atsuta liquid-cooled inverted V12 engine, who was a licensed copy of the German DB 601 engine., and the second plane who is inline engine powered, is in museum in Japan.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
This is the radial motor version... not as nice. Even not any Mistu´, but the radial motor version used a Mitsubishi MK8P Kinsei engine. The Yokosuka was indeed inspired by a Heinkel prototype, the HE 118 though, but have nothing to do with either license build or ME 163.
The inline version motored did use a Aichi Atsuta liquid-cooled inverted V12 engine, who was a licensed copy of the German DB 601 engine., and the second plane who is inline engine powered, is in museum in Japan.
The 163 is in the background, I wasn't saying it had anything to do with the D4Y. And I agree, the online version looks a lot cleaner.