Anybody else scratch building tonight?

JennyC6

Elite member
Do you want to build a spacecraft? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: A guy at my flying club built one along with a baby blender both powered by OS 15LAs swinging 8x4 props, and they seemed to have plenty of oomph to them. I've had a Norvel 15 laying around for a while and have been thinking of doing something similar... maybe when I get around to building another sea angel I'll throw in nitro power? But then there's the problem of the fuel tank, which there really isn't space for in the pod with the engine taking up half of it and putting the tank in the fuselage would make it have to fight against gravity.

Haha. Yeah that's kind of a condundrum for sure. Size wize the FT MS warbirds are 40-size, but weight-wise they're 10-size. I have entertained thoughts of using 10-size power(Perhaps a Saito FA-30 or OS FS-26 4-cycle) but they'll struggle to swing a prop that'll look right on the MS P-47. But this Fox 45 swings a 10-5-3 MAS at 13,000RPM like a champ. And I can always throttle back, or use all that extra thrust to add cool features like droppables, retracts, the works.

That engine is one I bought from my LHS as a siezed brick of aluminum for just 30 bucks. It should fit nicely in the cowl, muffler and all, if I set the angle of the dangle properly, and it will have power to spare.

As for your Sea Angel project, perhaps a Perry Pump will do the business? I'm half tempted to relocate the fuel tank of my 1.8m nitro Skyhunter to down in the fuse somewhere and use a perry pump on that to get fuel up to the Fa-45 on the back.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
As for your Sea Angel project, perhaps a Perry Pump will do the business? I'm half tempted to relocate the fuel tank of my 1.8m nitro Skyhunter to down in the fuse somewhere and use a perry pump on that to get fuel up to the Fa-45 on the back.

Now that I think about it I have one of those and could stick it in. However some measurements and back-of-the-envelope math tells me I should be able to fit a 2 oz slant tank in behind the engine and throttle servo which would give me much less work to do plumbing wise. I got 5 or 6 minutes off that exact tank and engine in the previous plane I had them in and honestly that's fine by me.

JennyC6

Elite member
Now that I think about it I have one of those and could stick it in. However some measurements and back-of-the-envelope math tells me I should be able to fit a 2 oz slant tank in behind the engine and throttle servo which would give me much less work to do plumbing wise. I got 5 or 6 minutes off that exact tank and engine in the previous plane I had them in and honestly that's fine by me.

I tend to prefer much longer flight times in my models, so packing more fuel in(And using 4-cycles whenever possible) is my MO. I think with the MS P-47 I'll go with a 10oz tank, though. Should give roughly 10 minutes of fast flying and maybe 15 if I cruise a bit. My NexSTAR will get half an hour at cruise throttle on the 270cc OE tank and a Magnum 52RFS on the nose, about 15min on the OS 46AX it's intended to have(I have this engine in the stash too, needs main bearings and some minor servicing but is otherwise operable).

I'll definitely have a LOT of building to do over the next few months. Heh. Master Series P-47C, Phoenix Typhoon, nitro Skyhunter, got some repairs to do on some of my cars, got a nitro Alatus and a restored 20-size sport/pattern plane with a Webra 28 to re-maiden...

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I tend to prefer much longer flight times in my models, so packing more fuel in(And using 4-cycles whenever possible) is my MO. I think with the MS P-47 I'll go with a 10oz tank, though. Should give roughly 10 minutes of fast flying and maybe 15 if I cruise a bit. My NexSTAR will get half an hour at cruise throttle on the 270cc OE tank and a Magnum 52RFS on the nose, about 15min on the OS 46AX it's intended to have(I have this engine in the stash too, needs main bearings and some minor servicing but is otherwise operable).

I'll definitely have a LOT of building to do over the next few months. Heh. Master Series P-47C, Phoenix Typhoon, nitro Skyhunter, got some repairs to do on some of my cars, got a nitro Alatus and a restored 20-size sport/pattern plane with a Webra 28 to re-maiden...

Tank size doesn't really matter to me all that much. I'm fine with having to land to pump more fuel in as many times as it takes me to run out of fuel to pump in at which point I go home. I used to have a Saito FA91 in my Kadet Senior which coupled with I think a 10 or 12 oz tank would easily give 1+ hr flight times because it would basically maintain level flight on idle, throttle only really being required for taking off and when you hit a downdraft. Was too much engine for that plane though and now it flies with a 65LA.

I've got building to do too - got a 1/5 scale Great Planes cub kit under construction which will either get an ASP 52 (I'm pretty sure it's a clone of the Magnum 52, but I haven't got one to compare it with) or an OS FS56 if that doesn't end up being enough power. All the construction balsa wise is pretty much complete, I've just got to finish up interior details, figure out what I'm going to do as for servo setup and then throw some covering on the thing.

JennyC6

Elite member
Tank size doesn't really matter to me all that much. I'm fine with having to land to pump more fuel in as many times as it takes me to run out of fuel to pump in at which point I go home. I used to have a Saito FA91 in my Kadet Senior which coupled with I think a 10 or 12 oz tank would easily give 1+ hr flight times because it would basically maintain level flight on idle, throttle only really being required for taking off and when you hit a downdraft. Was too much engine for that plane though and now it flies with a 65LA.

I've got building to do too - got a 1/5 scale Great Planes cub kit under construction which will either get an ASP 52 (I'm pretty sure it's a clone of the Magnum 52, but I haven't got one to compare it with) or an OS FS56 if that doesn't end up being enough power. All the construction balsa wise is pretty much complete, I've just got to finish up interior details, figure out what I'm going to do as for servo setup and then throw some covering on the thing.
Same engine actually. Magnum, AP, ASP were all made in the same factory. In the case of the 52 four cycle its a clone of the FS52 Surpass. I have two and they both run great! One is destined for the Typhoon, the other lives in my NexSTAR

I also have the floaty problem with my NexSTAR. I have to throttlecut on final if there is any wind at allo or it flat refuses to actually land. Dreamboat plane and great engine besides, never parting the two. Swinging an 11-7-3 there; not enough clearance for a 12-6-2 which is what the engine wants. Typhoon will have an 11-8-3. Interestingly it seems underpropped on the nexstar; I get the same numbers on the 11-8-3 and 11-7-3. Roughly 9650RPM top end. I almost wonder if I could get away with an 11-10-2 APC pattern prop on this thing and really scoot...one of my ideas for the typhoon is to have a fast nitro FPV ship I can use to fly formation with guys who whip out DRAKs at FPVFest.

mayan

Legendary member
Hmm, well mixed feelings on this one... How crazy does this sound - we could do a mixed build! I honestly want to (and was considering before I made the post) build the full sized mustang. But hey - I’ve already started a mini mustang but wouldn’t it be cool to make one of each and compare the flight characteristics? I think it would be fun for me at least. What do you all think of that? Would it be too much to have two different planes on a group build or would it be cool to see different variations on one awesome bird - the P-51?
We've done that with the Goblin don't see why not do it with the Mustang?!

For me anything with a c pack IS a mini. The ft minis need a lower wind to fly then we ever have.
That's probably the only reason why I am hanging. Winter is coming and with it are very strong winds not something minis would handle well. Yesterday even the Spitfire a very trusted model barely held the wind and was hanging at 75%-80% throttle the mini would have been peanuts.

Or maybe a monster mustang dropping a normal ft mustang and two mini mustangs, one on each wingtip! And then the normal sized mustang drops an ultra micro mustang! So many mustangs!!
OK what have you been taking!? I want some of that too :). That would be EPIC but very hard to achieve unless the FT crew took part in our sick idea :), @fliteadmin, hint hint.

So I asked one of my buddies if he’d be interested in building a 200% mustang and he said yes! Well I forgot something. I don’t have any electronics, so unless he wants to buy them (which I doubt he will) I’ll only be building the mini mustang and the standard mustang. Maybe later I’ll do a monster mustang but for right now I can’t afford buying a whole new setup...
That idea has been nudge at me for a long time. I wanted to create a monster Tiny Trainer 200% scaled. The wingspan is longer than me and I am 1.78m tall. The only thing that has been holding me back is the weight vs. electronic setup I would need that is unless I go twin engine with two C pack motors.... Ahhhh there we go at it again now you've got me thinking about it once more thanks for nothing buddy :p.

Alrighty then! I got off the plane two hours ago, made it home put the kid down for a nap and....
Voila! View attachment 150330 View attachment 150331 View attachment 150332 View attachment 150333 View attachment 150334
Mini Stang plangs!
On to the poster board!
Ohhh boy did you really do that... Now the itching is becoming worse :).

Does this title just sound really weird? “From horse-drawn carriages to horse-planes”
Yes!

Ok, that really does sound weird - forget it😆
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

FT-3D to replace the Bushwhacker when I have the weather to trash it, gonna serve it to the ones who say I am all talk and no fly for a white guy lol... Offspring... get it :ROFLMAO:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. That's it we got to you, you broke, gave in, admitted to the truth. Even I have been itching to go out to the field even if its wet if its not raining. @The Hangar, @Grifflyer, @Ketchup do you even know who the Offspring are, or are you too young!? Sorry had to get you all.

My buddy I talked to about building a 200% mustang suggested this. He also said he has a gas engine that’s about the right size so the 200% mustang might just be a go. We need to go check it out first. It I’m stoked since I’ve never done a gas plane before.
Lucky you that should be fun. If my flying buddy @Eddo radush gets his head off school for a bit I probably could talk him into getting the gaser he got from a friend to fly. I think that at this point I would be ready to try that too.

200% gas dtfb mustang or am I missing something here? Word of warning gasoline and foam don't really get along...
I think FT did it before you have to use something to block out the gas from reaching the FB.
Flying and not talking is the name of the game, the vid will be worth a thousand words :p
You've learned something :p.