Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
This? It's nitro but the concept is the same. You aren't going to fit a gas engine into a plane that small lol.
Yep, that is the one. I just meant that foam and gas might not mix, but using waterproof foam could help. And it would make sure that the plane is a true ft mustang, not a balsa conversion. A balsa conversion would be cool to see though, and it would make the build more interesting.

JennyC6

Elite member
You could also use waterproof foam, I think that @JennyC6 made a gas powered commuter, or maybe it was someone else?
Cox 049 on a Commuter, it flew once, turned out too heavy for the engine. Was a Speed Build Kit and I took no special steps to fuelproof it.

Edit: @speedbirdted found my video of it flying too! The cinematography's awful as I was focused on the plane and my phone was mounted to my Tx, but it did fly!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
foam and really any kind of fuel most definitely don't mix, at least not without being coated with something. Normal dtfb is by far the worst as the paper almost immediately tarnishes and peels off and the foam will gradually turn to mush over time. The brown FT stuff is better but pretty much just delays the process. Haven't tested the maker foam yet but I think it'll be pretty much the same story. The limited number of nitro foamies I've built or converted have all had their firewalls and forward fuselages at least covered in latex paint or Polycrylic (polycrylic works much better but it's more work to apply as you have to put new paper on)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thoughts?

Attachments

• C542A89D-AFC6-46DA-BFCE-EACEB6DFFEBF.jpeg
    C542A89D-AFC6-46DA-BFCE-EACEB6DFFEBF.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0

JennyC6

Elite member
foam and really any kind of fuel most definitely don't mix, at least not without being coated with something. Normal dtfb is by far the worst as the paper almost immediately tarnishes and peels off and the foam will gradually turn to mush over time. The brown FT stuff is better but pretty much just delays the process. Haven't tested the maker foam yet but I think it'll be pretty much the same story. The limited number of nitro foamies I've built or converted have all had their firewalls and forward fuselages at least covered in latex paint or Polycrylic (polycrylic works much better but it's more work to apply as you have to put new paper on)
In my experience whatever FT and Adams came to agree on for the brown ft foam alleviates a lot of that. I dont get delam issues unless there's a sizeable raw fuel spill and rustoleum paint seals it nicely. That being said I also totally reengineer the firewall for ICE power rather than try to bolt it to the OE firewall. The Commuter had a solid chunk of 1/8 thick plywood in the nose near the base of the windshield for a firewall.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
In my experience whatever FT and Adams came to agree on for the brown ft foam alleviates a lot of that. I dont get delam issues unless there's a sizeable raw fuel spill and rustoleum paint seals it nicely. That being said I also totally reengineer the firewall for ICE power rather than try to bolt it to the OE firewall. The Commuter had a solid chunk of 1/8 thick plywood in the nose near the base of the windshield for a firewall.

Yeah, I usually try and put on something more solid for engines to be mounted to, like wood or aluminum. Mounting electric motors directly to foam is asking for a failure, much more so with the added vibration and oily exhaust of an engine!

JennyC6

Elite member
Yeah, I usually try and put on something more solid for engines to be mounted to, like wood or aluminum. Mounting electric motors directly to foam is asking for a failure, much more so with the added vibration and oily exhaust of an engine!
Yup. I'll be doing something similar in my Master Series P-47 since I'm gonna be putting a Fox 45 RC Ringed in it. And this time I should have power for ddaayyysssss, the plans say AUW of 1000g or so but the engine is pulling 3200g+ of thrust at full blast.

Also worth noting that, when converting an FT plane to glow power, the OE firewall will have the prop SIGNIFICANTLY farther forward than it otherwise should be just due to the compact nature of the BLDC outrunners they're designed for. On some planes it isn't a big deal, on more scale ones like the Commuter or P-47 it's a huge deal.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have never mounted any of my motors to just foam , that would be stupid and short term. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings :)

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Yup. I'll be doing something similar in my Master Series P-47 since I'm gonna be putting a Fox 45 RC Ringed in it. And this time I should have power for ddaayyysssss, the plans say AUW of 1000g or so but the engine is pulling 3200g+ of thrust at full blast.

Also worth noting that, when converting an FT plane to glow power, the OE firewall will have the prop SIGNIFICANTLY farther forward than it otherwise should be just due to the compact nature of the BLDC outrunners they're designed for. On some planes it isn't a big deal, on more scale ones like the Commuter or P-47 it's a huge deal.
Do you want to build a spacecraft? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: A guy at my flying club built one along with a baby blender both powered by OS 15LAs swinging 8x4 props, and they seemed to have plenty of oomph to them. I've had a Norvel 15 laying around for a while and have been thinking of doing something similar... maybe when I get around to building another sea angel I'll throw in nitro power? But then there's the problem of the fuel tank, which there really isn't space for in the pod with the engine taking up half of it and putting the tank in the fuselage would make it have to fight against gravity.