Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
Heh heh
A785DD26-F970-42F6-846F-E11DF24974BF.jpeg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Had the Sea Duck out the other day at the bush runway and on one of the landings I clipped my radio case with one of the pontoons. These pontoons stick out like swollen toes, just getting in the way. I would like to be able to just do away with them but then there are prop strikes whenever you try to turn while taxiing. So I think its part of the package. Anyway there was some damage, and it looked serious until you start digging into it. Step by step it just gets easier to fix then to build new. This is how I did my repair.
20201029_180705.jpg

As you can tell it did take a decent hit, spun the plane right around. It was epoxied in place and it yanked out all the FB around the bonded areas and this...
20201030_113335.jpg

It shoved the rear pontoon strut straight through the wing, so this is where I knew I had to fix it. I couldn't go through an entire build just because of this. That would just be silly. So the cutting started...
20201030_121509.jpg
I completely cut the aileron off, measured and trimmed off the damaged pieces. As long as you measure the replacement pieces usually fit pretty decent, and really it is just a FB plane so there is a bit of quality tolerance built into it. I like to just have some fun with it, you will see what i mean in a sec.

First piece fitted in...
20201030_123141.jpg

This is the C folded chunk that the rear strut was stuck into and glued, so it is something that will be reused for the same purpose. You will want to get the fit good here for structure. For the most part it is hidden so you wont have to worry about aesthetics as much. Next is the top panel...
20201030_132122.jpg

This is where I was sayin have some fun with it. I had to paint it to water proof it anyway, so i used a sharpie to make it look like a replacement panel. Like an overnight garage bashing to make it work kinda deal. Tell every one you were being shot at by gorilla extremists or something. It gets cooler...
20201030_151835.jpg

Did the same on the underside of the new aileron I traced out and painted, the lower wing panel got the same sharpie treatment. Pontoon struts are epoxied back together and installed on the wing. I didn't have to make a new pontoon, I was able to piece together the original one. The topside...
20201030_161049.jpg

New aileron was taped back on, glue hinge from the bottom like any other glue hinge.

Took it out for a couple flights right after and she is as good as new, and i am officially past 13 flights on it so the rest should be gravy right

Timmy

Legendary member
Had the Sea Duck out the other day at the bush runway and on one of the landings I clipped my radio case with one of the pontoons. These pontoons stick out like swollen toes, just getting in the way. I would like to be able to just do away with them but then there are prop strikes whenever you try to turn while taxiing. So I think its part of the package. Anyway there was some damage, and it looked serious until you start digging into it. Step by step it just gets easier to fix then to build new. This is how I did my repair. View attachment 182097
As you can tell it did take a decent hit, spun the plane right around. It was epoxied in place and it yanked out all the FB around the bonded areas and this...
View attachment 182098
It shoved the rear pontoon strut straight through the wing, so this is where I knew I had to fix it. I couldn't go through an entire build just because of this. That would just be silly. So the cutting started... View attachment 182094 I completely cut the aileron off, measured and trimmed off the damaged pieces. As long as you measure the replacement pieces usually fit pretty decent, and really it is just a FB plane so there is a bit of quality tolerance built into it. I like to just have some fun with it, you will see what i mean in a sec.

First piece fitted in... View attachment 182095
This is the C folded chunk that the rear strut was stuck into and glued, so it is something that will be reused for the same purpose. You will want to get the fit good here for structure. For the most part it is hidden so you wont have to worry about aesthetics as much. Next is the top panel... View attachment 182096
This is where I was sayin have some fun with it. I had to paint it to water proof it anyway, so i used a sharpie to make it look like a replacement panel. Like an overnight garage bashing to make it work kinda deal. Tell every one you were being shot at by gorilla extremists or something. It gets cooler... View attachment 182099
Did the same on the underside of the new aileron I traced out and painted, the lower wing panel got the same sharpie treatment. Pontoon struts are epoxied back together and installed on the wing. I didn't have to make a new pontoon, I was able to piece together the original one. The topside... View attachment 182100
New aileron was taped back on, glue hinge from the bottom like any other glue hinge.

Took it out for a couple flights right after and she is as good as new, and i am officially past 13 flights on it so the rest should be gravy right
that's a great idea! And you can add more sharpie paleness as you crash, and then it makes the plane look more used as it actually gets used. I think I'm gonna do this too. It looks good too!