Anybody else scratch building tonight?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Paint is on the new Mustang...
20210114_002533.jpg
20210114_002710.jpg

Yep have done this with a laptop screen because I didn’t know how to print lol. Definitely a good method with enough brightness though.
It reminds me of the light table we had at university. Back when all plans for everything were hand-drawn. The dark ages I guess. :)

mastermalpass

Elite member
It reminds me of the light table we had at university. Back when all plans for everything were hand-drawn. The dark ages I guess. :)

I don't have a light box, so if I wanted to trace something, I would load in image up on my PC monitor, lean the monitor back on something, masking tape the paper to it and gently trace the image (don't wanna press a pen down too hard on an LCD screen with a pen). Then with the rough lines established, I gently peel the tape off (don't wanna tug too hard on an LCD screen) then finish it off by eye.

mdcerdan

Elite member
I don't have a light box, so if I wanted to trace something, I would load in image up on my PC monitor, lean the monitor back on something, masking tape the paper to it and gently trace the image (don't wanna press a pen down too hard on an LCD screen with a pen). Then with the rough lines established, I gently peel the tape off (don't wanna tug too hard on an LCD screen) then finish it off by eye.

A felt tip marker will not damage the screen. ;)

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Getting further along on the structure, did some test fitting of parts. CG fitting is looking like it will work well so far (have a bit of distance to move the battery both forward and aft with the test balance - don't have all the bits of weight in it yet)

Going to paint the bits before doing the next round of gluing bits together, as the bits will be easier to mask and paint now.

Ordered some more motors, unfortunately they have slightly difference mounting screw spacing then my FT ones, so I will need to redesign the motor mount. Also got some servos that actually have 180deg range, so am going to swap to those as part of the motor pod redesign.

After trying to do the body with the FT folding technique, I was having issues getting everything nice and square, so I switched to panels with slots/tabs and it seems to be working out fairly well so far.

1610670487577.png 1610670456644.png

Getting further along on the structure, did some test fitting of parts. CG fitting is looking like it will work well so far (have a bit of distance to move the battery both forward and aft with the test balance - don't have all the bits of weight in it yet)

Going to paint the bits before doing the next round of gluing bits together, as the bits will be easier to mask and paint now.

Ordered some more motors, unfortunately they have slightly difference mounting screw spacing then my FT ones, so I will need to redesign the motor mount. Also got some servos that actually have 180deg range, so am going to swap to those as part of the motor pod redesign.

After trying to do the body with the FT folding technique, I was having issues getting everything nice and square, so I switched to panels with slots/tabs and it seems to be working out fairly well so far.

View attachment 189219 View attachment 189218
I like your planes @JasonK. Your twin-boom in your avatar helped inspire me to build this:
IMG_1523.JPG

What looks like overspray is really a top secret NASA technique called "turbulent laminar boundary layer viscous parasitic fluid drag magnitudinal inertial flow separation mechanism generators", and I'm not really at liberty to describe the mechanics of how they work because the guys in black suits would kill me. I just call them micro speed nibs.
IMG_1525.JPG

Ready to maiden! :D Crummy weather this weekend! :mad:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I like your planes @JasonK. Your twin-boom in your avatar helped inspire me to build this:
View attachment 189229

What looks like overspray is really a top secret NASA technique called "turbulent laminar boundary layer viscous parasitic fluid drag magnitudinal inertial flow separation mechanism generators", and I'm not really at liberty to describe the mechanics of how they work because the guys in black suits would kill me. I just call them micro speed nibs.
View attachment 189230

Ready to maiden! :D Crummy weather this weekend! :mad:

looks nice, and thanks for the compliment