Anybody else scratch building tonight?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am a bit OCD so ironing my edges fits in with my mentality, never could feel comfortable with square edges. I built balsa planes for years and always rounded or tapered edges, so to leave edges flat didn't sit right with me.
I look at some of my early builds now and all that sticks out are the flat edges all squared off :mad: its winding me up thinking about it.
I am hoping to convince my good lady wife that we need to holiday in the great US of A in the near future, well as soon as this damn Covid business is over. Might just slip a Tiny Trainer in the suitcase and fetch it over for you as a present (I will iron the edges first of course).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Oh I'm absolutely that same way about trying to do a perfectly straight sharp & clean build (which will never be perfect). I can't bring myself to do the hot-glue-overnight-build, and sometimes I wish I could. But for me I don't want to get into too much detail, I'm more interested in the design, the form and flight characteristics. I admire the crazy detail in some of these toys, that's just not where my primary interest lies. I don't want one of these models to become so precious I can't let it go. (But I don't have a history of expensive models or balsa kits.)
Thats my biggest problem once built I am reluctant to fly them incase they get damaged or wrote off in a crash. I can tell you every flaw in every plane I have ever built. The same goes for jobs I have done in the house, I see imperfections everywhere (except when I look in the mirror :LOL::LOL::LOL:).

I am hoping to convince my good lady wife that we need to holiday in the great US of A in the near future, well as soon as this damn Covid business is over. Might just slip a Tiny Trainer in the suitcase and fetch it over for you as a present (I will iron the edges first of course).
:D:LOL: No need to bring a silly cardboard plane! (Especially if the edges are ironed. ;) ) But you better let me know when you're on your way! Tour guide here! Each neighborhood has its own character. Really good quick eats in the East Village, high-end shopping in Soho. (Like, highest-end, but it's fun to tour Soho. It's beautiful.) A fleetload of things to see in Midtown... 5th Avenue... Rockefeller Center... the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine way up in the Upper West Side...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was soldering over the weekend and yersterday. My son's car radio needed the wiring loom modifying and my Lipo charger lead needed some solder and a fleeting amount of heat to repair it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
:D:LOL: No need to bring a silly cardboard plane! (Especially if the edges are ironed. ;) ) But you better let me know when you're on your way! Tour guide here! Each neighborhood has its own character. Really good quick eats in the East Village, high-end shopping in Soho. (Like, highest-end, but it's fun to tour Soho. It's beautiful.) A fleetload of things to see in Midtown... 5th Avenue... Rockefeller Center... the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine way up in the Upper West Side...
Sounds great specially the food, I love my food :p. I use to watch a TV series man versus food, pretty sure I could keep up with that guy. My better half on the other hand prefers scenery and walking etc
Sounds like I had better make it a 2 week vacation lot to do and see ? Definately take you up on the tour guide offer.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1614214346021.png

Wondered why Timmy has been so quite, he's been building one of his over sized planes again :LOL:

gear is glued on. wing span is ~30in (width of a sheet of DTFB).. measurements for the main parts should be in the build photos on the FTFC21 thread.
Glued on - that's what I thought. I should have said it looks like the gear wants to be dropped on takeoff.
Dropping the gear shouldn't be as impossible as people say though. I mean if someone wanted to. Especially if you had access to a 3D printer. Should just be a pressure/gravity release. Or maybe rattling along on a runway wouldn't allow for a simple release like that...

shadeyB

Legendary member
I hear you loud & clear, but I don't want the ironing-my-edges thing added to my build process. I'll probably like it and have to start ironing all my edges. :) Anyway I'm happy that it's a model and it's just a toy, and that rabbit hole leads to building cockpits in meticulous detail - ahem @shadeyB . It'll cry that much more when I crash it. :LOL:

And there's already glue on my edges. Thank you for paying no further attention to my edges. ;)
(That's what SHE said. Then I said "Then why you wearing those tight jeans?")
no it wont :) it will just look like a proper air crash investigation taking place lol

the rc project

Have you ever been flying your timber x and thought, “I wish I had more power”. Me neither, I’ll be honest i really don’t think it needs more.... BUT flying slow is cool too, so what if I put motors on the flaps? Blown out flap servos? Probably. Pile of foam after one motor rips the flap off. Also Likely. Anyway I’ll be going to the field tomorrow to try it out and I’ll report back! The other pics are the other planes I’m bringing tomorrow. Can you tell I like STOL?

Attachments

• 730B00FD-C3A2-4494-B31F-A4E2EFF35D51.jpeg
    730B00FD-C3A2-4494-B31F-A4E2EFF35D51.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D3A3344-E216-43A4-A1EF-463B004F1043.jpeg
    3D3A3344-E216-43A4-A1EF-463B004F1043.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0BA92C1B-3169-482E-A5BB-565F1166A7F5.jpeg
    0BA92C1B-3169-482E-A5BB-565F1166A7F5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Have you ever been flying your timber x and thought, “I wish I had more power”. Me neither, I’ll be honest i really don’t think it needs more.... BUT flying slow is cool too, so what if I put motors on the flaps? Blown out flap servos? Probably. Pile of foam after one motor rips the flap off. Also Likely. Anyway I’ll be going to the field tomorrow to try it out and I’ll report back! The other pics are the other planes I’m bringing tomorrow. Can you tell I like STOL?
Do you have some more close up pics of the gear on your timber X?