Anybody else scratch building tonight?

bearit

Thanks guys, it is defenitely possible. Most of my early builds were quite small. Forming this stuff isnt too bad.
As proof of concept here is my micro master p38 to compare to the current build. It was built paper on and then paper removed for weight. I never finished it because I just didnt have the right parts at the time, she sits as a wall hanger and toy glider for the kids View attachment 224930 View attachment 224931
we are about in the same spot but mine is the bigger one

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_134844315.jpg
    IMG_20220428_134844315.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Prime example of the other thread , I tuck a few bucks from my "Allowance" every week away and when I build up a few dollars I buy the things I want. And if I want something bigger then I make a few extra bucks with my vinyl cutter, which i saved for almost 6 months before I had enough to buy it. My next goal is to purchase one of the Arrows model planes, over two years in the hobby and everything I have is foamboard but that was the plan, to learn as much as I could and learn to fly before I made the step up to something that would hurt the pocket book if I crashed. A gasser is a long way down the road for me, that's a whole other can of worms and expense that I don't even need to explore at this point
Maybe you could find some old chainsaw motor and some 2x4s off the side of the road. Build a plane out of that.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Maybe you could find some old chainsaw motor and some 2x4s off the side of the road. Build a plane out of that.
I probably would if that is what I had to do:ROFLMAO: watched a guy on youtube last week build a boat out of a motor he got off the bottom of a lake or something and a hull he got for nothing out of the junkyard. Built a pretty sweet boat out of it

The Fopster

Master member
Prime example of the other thread , I tuck a few bucks from my "Allowance" every week away and when I build up a few dollars I buy the things I want. And if I want something bigger then I make a few extra bucks with my vinyl cutter, which i saved for almost 6 months before I had enough to buy it. My next goal is to purchase one of the Arrows model planes, over two years in the hobby and everything I have is foamboard but that was the plan, to learn as much as I could and learn to fly before I made the step up to something that would hurt the pocket book if I crashed. A gasser is a long way down the road for me, that's a whole other can of worms and expense that I don't even need to explore at this point
I got my first “proper” plane at Christmas - an Arrows Bigfoot. It’s brilliant. But…. I keep finding myself daydreaming a foam board version that would be even better! In terms of fun per pound (or dollar or whatever) the FT build methods, with all the community designs they have spawned, are hard to beat! By all means get something from Arrows or whoever, but I suspect you already know that won’t mean you stop building in foamboard. Especially as you have a talent for it!

SSgt Duramax

I got my first “proper” plane at Christmas - an Arrows Bigfoot. It’s brilliant. But…. I keep finding myself daydreaming a foam board version that would be even better! In terms of fun per pound (or dollar or whatever) the FT build methods, with all the community designs they have spawned, are hard to beat! By all means get something from Arrows or whoever, but I suspect you already know that won’t mean you stop building in foamboard. Especially as you have a talent for it!
Those look awesome. All my "real planes" are EPP FPV planes I impulse bought on aliexpress for a combined total of $300. One isn't here yet though. Hopefully here tomorrow. Don't know when I'll get it put together though. I can't buy anymore for a while. Need to save up my moneys for tires though. Found a screw in the front one today. Walmart tire plugs only hold so long. Here is the damage. Guess I could get cheaper ones, but tires are the most important thing on a vehicle. There goes $2000.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2/p/39650

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
The building is the most important thing for me , just would be nice to have one to compare to and maybe recreate in foamboard, not really but just to have one LOL

SSgt Duramax

The building is the most important thing for me , just would be nice to have one to compare to and maybe recreate in foamboard, not really but just to have one LOL

Between the plane I built and the plane I purchased, I like the one I built better. Of course, I have more time dialing in my design, and the off the shelf one isn't as dialed in yet. But it the difference between a plane I designed for me to like, and a plane that someone else designed to appeal to the broadest group of people possible.

SSgt Duramax

Ok, I think the front is cozy enough. No matter what calculation i do, I keep coming up with this cg. Very long skinny delta wings are deceiving I guess. This expanding foam always expands more than I think it will. But it is 3 bucks a can.

On the brightside, if I lawndart it, there is a foot of expanding foam in the front protecting the battery.

20220428_180700.jpg
20220428_180508.jpg

Droneflyer200

Well the FT spear is ready for its maiden i have all electronics installed .Receiver, servos ,esc and the 3 axis gyro .Boy these gyros are nice they do all the mixing for you on board makes setting up a wing with Elevons a snap! All you have to do is through a switch on the gyro. also fabricated the camera tray and installed my gopro.

Attachments

• PXL_20220425_233335573.jpg
    PXL_20220425_233335573.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220429_011658997.jpg
    PXL_20220429_011658997.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

SSgt Duramax

Well the FT spear is ready for its maiden i have all electronics installed .Receiver, servos ,esc and the 3 axis gyro .Boy these gyros are nice they do all the mixing for you on board makes setting up a wing with Elevons a snap! All you have to do is through a switch on the gyro. also fabricated the camera tray and installed my gopro.
Looks great! Did you laminate it? What gyro are you using? The ones I have are horrendous with wings, but they are the cheapie NX4 gyros.

Droneflyer200

Looks great! Did you laminate it? What gyro are you using? The ones I have are horrendous with wings, but they are the cheapie NX4 gyros.

I laminate most of my planes with clear packing tape the spear is one of them I'm going to paint the spitfire. I am using a TL-70 gyro I used one in my ft simple cub and it worked great and there are reports of guys using them on wings on youtube. I real want to get an I-nav for it when I have the cash also a board camera and a FPV headset.

Brian B

Elite member
Ok, I think the front is cozy enough. No matter what calculation i do, I keep coming up with this cg. Very long skinny delta wings are deceiving I guess. This expanding foam always expands more than I think it will. But it is 3 bucks a can.

On the brightside, if I lawndart it, there is a foot of expanding foam in the front protecting the battery.

View attachment 224948 View attachment 224949
Yes, watch out for tip stall on those pointy tips. Keep the speed up. I forgot the calculator website, but my Delta's CG was located in the highlighted circles, those little blue dots. First flight was intentionally nose heavy, and I needed up elevator the whole time, but landed safely in. I had mild roll oscillation I never figured out, and so my second one had a bigger fin (and bigger elevons), but the friend I gave it to never finished it. Plans posted in resources, with CG marked. Worked much better with smaller props than these shown.
That Delta of yours is going to look great zipping past! Good luck.
Screenshot_20220428-210412_Gallery.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Yes, watch out for tip stall on those pointy tips. Keep the speed up. I forgot the calculator website, but my Delta's CG was located in the highlighted circles, those little blue dots. First flight was intentionally nose heavy, and I needed up elevator the whole time, but landed safely in. I had mild roll oscillation I never figured out, and so my second one had a bigger fin (and bigger elevons), but the friend I gave it to never finished it. Plans posted in resources, with CG marked. Worked much better with smaller props than these shown.
That Delta of yours is going to look great zipping past! Good luck.
View attachment 224955
Thanks! Looks like yours lines up with mine as far as CG. I thought about sliding some vortex generators near the tips to see if that may help. Maybe I should look up Ben's B58 he built too. I remembered seeing that plane somewhere. In case no one has figured out, I like the early cold war stuff, before ICBMs.