Anybody else scratch building tonight?

luvmy40

Elite member
Just finished up the Half Pipe Delta for my Buildruray Challenge

HPD Build Complet 1.jpg

Bo123

Elite member
I think so... That way we can see more detail and come back to it for references. I've always thought of this thread as a, "I've finished".
In the future, digging out five posts that might be among the 1000+ pages will be near impossible.
Yeah thats good idea. Still got quite a bit of work to do..

shadeyB

Legendary member
Thanks! It’s a bit rough close up, but I’m pretty pleased with it! The white backing is just sticky vinyl hand cut with the kitchen scissors.
Maiden happened last week - without canopy and decals. It’s my first EDF so I was fairly nervous, but it went fine. Even the dreaded hand launch…
Flew this morning complete with canopy and decals so I’m calling it “done”.
Proof of flight below from flight number two on maiden day against dull grey skies. I’m going to try and get better video when we get some nicer weather!
Epic little flyer and sounds sweet too :) congrats buddy

luvmy40

Elite member
Nice. I was just out fooling around with mine yesterday. Did you do your paper on or off? Did you scale it to fit DTFB or adjust the slots?
Paper on, mostly. I only scaled the slots and did have some fit issues. Mostly with the firewall mounting. Which, I'm thinking was the main reason I had a dismal maiden experience.

This was my first time flying a pusher. First time flying an Elevon plane. First time adjusting plans to fit DTFB. A lot of firsts and, as I said, a dismal failure.

Foamforce

Paper on, mostly. I only scaled the slots and did have some fit issues. Mostly with the firewall mounting. Which, I'm thinking was the main reason I had a dismal maiden experience.

This was my first time flying a pusher. First time flying an Elevon plane. First time adjusting plans to fit DTFB. A lot of firsts and, as I said, a dismal failure.

Oof. Looks tail heavy? The COG points on this design are about a half inch long vs the dots that we’re used to. I took that to mean it was a range of COG with most acrobatic toward the back and most stable toward the front. I went right in the middle. Regarding the motor placement, my 1806 motor was apparently shorter than what the original design used, so I had to add two extra pieces of foam under the firewall to center the prop in the slot.

Did you try a glide test?

luvmy40

Elite member
Hah! Do things logically? Me? Right...

I did check and recheck CG in between my 3 miserable "flights". It was consistently slightly nose heavy with a finger tip test on the CG slots. I do think the battery moved during the last, fatal flight.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Hah! Do things logically? Me? Right...

I did check and recheck CG in between my 3 miserable "flights". It was consistently slightly nose heavy with a finger tip test on the CG slots. I do think the battery moved during the last, fatal flight.

Ooh dear, sorry to hear that went so awry, I designed this thing specifically to avoid such mishaps. It is certainly eliciting a tail-heavy characteristic, despite your reports of it being nose-heavy. Then again, with mine, I cannot get it to be any less nose heavy than just about balancing on the leading corners of the notches, but even then, this plane is meant to be steady on the pitch and the CoG is indeed supposed to be gradient.

I'm surprised your motor came up too short, it's designed to use an Emax racing quad motor, can you supply a close up pic of your motor mount arrangement? I'm wondering if I can spot any issues there.

luvmy40

Elite member
Ooh dear, sorry to hear that went so awry, I designed this thing specifically to avoid such mishaps. It is certainly eliciting a tail-heavy characteristic, despite your reports of it being nose-heavy. Then again, with mine, I cannot get it to be any less nose heavy than just about balancing on the leading corners of the notches, but even then, this plane is meant to be steady on the pitch and the CoG is indeed supposed to be gradient.

I'm surprised your motor came up too short, it's designed to use an Emax racing quad motor, can you supply a close up pic of your motor mount arrangement? I'm wondering if I can spot any issues there.
I didn't take any detail pics before the maiden.:cautious:
Basically, the rear of the upper and lower fuse did not line up with the rear edge of the motor mount vert. insert. The foam backing on the 3D printed mini firewall was glued to the X created by the wing and insert. No perimiter support. It looked(to the naked eye) like it was straight and square to the assembly, but I'm sure there was a good bit of flex there. The prop looked to be in the correct position, i.e., centered in the slot area.

I was running a 3S 1300mAh battery and had to push it back as far as it would go to not have it super nose heavy. Of course, I was just using my finger tips as a balance and may have been at the back of the slots rather than the middle or front.

I do plan on cutting another soon and trying again.

Foamforce

Here’s mine. I just added a couple pieces of foam under the motor mount. I used a FT mini firewall. The motor is a generic 1806-2200. Flies great!

Attachments

• 04ED4499-F810-41C1-95B4-29A0DD0C8620.jpeg
    04ED4499-F810-41C1-95B4-29A0DD0C8620.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

mastermalpass

Elite member
I didn't take any detail pics before the maiden.:cautious:
Basically, the rear of the upper and lower fuse did not line up with the rear edge of the motor mount vert. insert. The foam backing on the 3D printed mini firewall was glued to the X created by the wing and insert. No perimiter support. It looked(to the naked eye) like it was straight and square to the assembly, but I'm sure there was a good bit of flex there. The prop looked to be in the correct position, i.e., centered in the slot area.

I was running a 3S 1300mAh battery and had to push it back as far as it would go to not have it super nose heavy. Of course, I was just using my finger tips as a balance and may have been at the back of the slots rather than the middle or front.

I do plan on cutting another soon and trying again.

I think I might adjust the CG notches forward a bit on the design. The first version was all over the place when tail heavy, but nose-heavy can be worked with. I did a version of the Delta which had a KF-2 Airfoil on the main wing, but not the canards. All that added lift aft of the CoG made it really 'nose heavy', so much so I too had to put a 3S battery as far back as I could. It then still needed a fair bit of trim but once that was figured out, it flew a really nice straight and level. The version was overstable and a little squirelly when trying to turn and so the KF edition was scrapped, but the point is, the safe side is, as usual, nose heavy.

By the way, a 1500mAh 3S is a bit on the heavy side. That's almost double the weight of the 800mAh 3S it was tested with and that was more than enough supply for it. Do you have a lighter battery you can use?

luvmy40

Elite member
I've got a couple 4S 850s. and some 2S 650s, I think.

I'll adjust the plans to leave some extra material at the rear of the fuse parts and trim square by hand when I build it again.

Foamforce

I've got a couple 4S 850s. and some 2S 650s, I think.

The 2s 650 is probably good. I fly mine with a 2s 450 and a 3s 550. The weight of a 2s 650 is right between those. The 2s 450 flies better, but the 3s 550 makes up for it with ridiculous speed.

A 3s 1300 weights over 4x more than a 2s 450. The all up weight of mine (including the battery) is 163g. The weight is the 3s 1300 alone is 122g. I think weight might be your biggest issue.

danskis

Master member
@luvmy40 - the Spitfire is a great plane that flies well and looks great sitting on the sofa as well as in the air. Hopefully you reinforced the wing with some BBQ skewers or other miscellaneous wood. It doesn't take a lot of wood to be effective.