Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Brian B

Elite member
Question for 3D flyers: how do we mitigate torque roll?

I'm working on an Su-26, which will have a 65cm wingspan and an 8x5 three-blade prop; that will no doubt give a lot of torque to manage. Now, with a 3D plane having giant control surfaces, I have a few options to counter the torque and I'm wondering which approach is best. Do I...

A) Off-set the angle of thrust like I normally do?
B) Counter it with Rudder Trim?
C) Counter it with Aileron Trim?
D) Mix Aileron with Throttle?
E) Use a bit of two or more of the above options?

Generally I'd agree with everything aligned straight and just fly it out. But then again, maybe this is another option. Bet it would sound neat.

Brushless Contra-Rotating Motors CRM2212 1400kv
https://a.co/d/aJ0607K

https://a.co/d/aJ0607K

danskis

Master member
@mastermalpass - yep, trim buttons and maidening don't really mix. Of course you can always have a buddy hit the trim buttons. I recently found out that on OpenTX you can make a momentary switch into an instant trim button. You fly the plane straight and level and hit the switch and whatever position the controls are in at the time it copies the settings to your trim - viola - insta trim. Its a little easier said than done.

MaxTheFliteFreak

@mastermalpass - yep, trim buttons and maidening don't really mix. Of course you can always have a buddy hit the trim buttons. I recently found out that on OpenTX you can make a momentary switch into an instant trim button. You fly the plane straight and level and hit the switch and whatever position the controls are in at the time it copies the settings to your trim - viola - insta trim. Its a little easier said than done.
Interesting...

The Fopster

Master member
Putting some finishing touches to this Hawker Hunter EDF jet (balsa kit, 50mm fan, 3s battery). First time trying to make my own waterslide decals - inkjet printed onto special paper, then spray varnish over the top to waterproof before fitting. Really pleased with how they look - way better than my usual hand cut vinyl or packing tape!

0F5C0600-9EAD-446E-A679-2D3C3493BF7B.jpeg
97DA3F2F-354E-4520-83E0-941321F8C511.jpeg

Inq

Elite member
my own waterslide decals - inkjet printed onto special paper, then spray varnish over the top to waterproof

Didn't know that was possible. Do you have a link to the "special paper"? Is the varnish part of the process or are you just doing an extra step?

BTW... Gorgeous model!

The Fopster

Master member

cyclone3350

Master member
Putting some finishing touches to this Hawker Hunter EDF jet (balsa kit, 50mm fan, 3s battery). First time trying to make my own waterslide decals - inkjet printed onto special paper, then spray varnish over the top to waterproof before fitting. Really pleased with how they look - way better than my usual hand cut vinyl or packing tape!

View attachment 234755 View attachment 234757
Very well done. I've been making my own decals for a while using either Testors or Bare Metal Foil decal paper with OK results. I cannot get over how rich the colors came out on yours. The problem I have with the fore mentioned brands, is they will only print on standard quality which makes for translucent prints & I have to make two & put one over the other. I'm going to see if I can get that paper here in the states.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Working on the "Proton" from Dr. Looping Looie. It's a 3d printed twin motor that looks like it will be a rocket. Unlike most of the 3d printed planes, it does not have a huge number of parts which reduced printing time. I does have great detail and the pieces dry fit together very well. Waiting for a few cables and then the assembly. Here is a link and scroll down and watch the video. Looks pretty fast to me.

https://www.emdemodeldevelopment.com/shop/p/twin-engine-sport-plane-proton
IMG_20230210_194512692_HDR.jpg

shadeyB

Legendary member

View attachment 234755 View attachment 234757
fantastic finish buddy, what did you use for the white backing of the decals
:) when is the dreaded Maiden

love the whole inkjet design your decal process, im using some vinyl cutter also with my projects

Inq

Elite member
Should I make a seperate build thread for the above post?

I think so... That way we can see more detail and come back to it for references. I've always thought of this thread as a, "I've finished".
In the future, digging out five posts that might be among the 1000+ pages will be near impossible.

The Fopster

Master member
fantastic finish buddy, what did you use for the white backing of the decals
:) when is the dreaded Maiden

love the whole inkjet design your decal process, im using some vinyl cutter also with my projects
Thanks! It’s a bit rough close up, but I’m pretty pleased with it! The white backing is just sticky vinyl hand cut with the kitchen scissors.
Maiden happened last week - without canopy and decals. It’s my first EDF so I was fairly nervous, but it went fine. Even the dreaded hand launch…
Flew this morning complete with canopy and decals so I’m calling it “done”.
Proof of flight below from flight number two on maiden day against dull grey skies. I’m going to try and get better video when we get some nicer weather!

FOAMSLAYER

Hopefully going to be scratch building two ez pack planes of sponz ft ez intruder design. His design I have found flies the best with the ez pack electronics for scratch building anything of that size.