Anybody else scratch building tonight?

slowjo

Master member
Opps, I was wrong again! Darn it that’s the second time. :ROFLMAO: First time was once as a child when I thought I was wrong, but I wasn’t.
I was more familiar with the WWII efforts that I was researching while trying to figure out how to make an RC fly if built one like the example in the video I posted.
I was wrong once also bout being wrong

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Got some progress done on the U2. My props arrived when I was out of town so I got the fan set up. The ESC I bought with it is acting kinda funny so I've got to change some settings, for now I pulled a 35a ESC I wasn't using out of a glider. The extra 5 amps capacity shouldn't hurt. It's an Emax 2207 with a 3" prop I trimmed down to fit the duct, I'm running it of a 2300 mah 4s. It'll plenty of thrust for this big jet-powered glider. If it's not then I can build a modified HE-163 Grunjet from the wreckage.

IMG_20200425_125414.jpg

I also did a quick mockup of the fuselage sections just to see what it looks like.

IMG_20200425_141901.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So I tried something new!
The tail of my build was getting a little beat up and mushy. Originally I was going to just build a new fuse but I thought "why not do something out of the ordinary." I've always wanted to build a Zlin Savage bobber so I decided to build something like one of those. I only have bbq skewers so I was a little concerned about weight right off the bat. I started by amputated the tail right where the fuse starts to taper.

300532_8e2a8ee601e71328334e5d3e92010568.jpg

I started off by tracing the side profile of the fuse onto a sheet of paper. I put a piece of cardboard under the piece of paper and some wax paper above it. The cardboard was so I could stick pins into it to keep the bbq skewers aligned, and the wax paper was to stop glue from sticking to the paper. I then began the process of glueing all the bbq skewers together.

300534_f7a518fc3b5e6c06766f8ceecff5e1fb.jpg

I was originally expecting to not use cross bracing, but I like the look of them and it could use a bit of stiffness.

300536_b2325a5b7f6304ef8780cac4262247ad.jpg

After I finished the first half I built the second but made it so the cross braces pointed in the opposite direction of the first half.

300538_462aec8e4cb4e6cb1531c8c6e9da92ca.jpg

I then began the slightly irritating process of connecting the two halves together. Luckily I had some thin CA so I was able to tack everything in place before filling the gaps with wood glue to make a solid joint. I took my time and everything was perfectly square and centered.

300550_8ff1d86e5a4e547429cae67de0f2d410.jpg

Next I cut out new tail feathers because the old ones were getting pretty tired. I got rid of the counterbalances on the elevator because the old ones would get caught in the grass and tear them up whenever I flared the plane during a landing. I chose not to iron the tail feathers because I like the rugged look it has and because it annoys @BATTLEAXE I then painted the wooden part black and the tail feathers orange to add some color.

300552_4771eb1dec21789622ebd19dfb5e8648.jpg

I then mounted the tail section onto the main fuse. I wanted the service to be unseen so I mounted them in the fuselage. Typically I paint the pushrods and control horns the same color as the surrounding fuse. I wanted to try something different so I elected to paint the whole pushrod system silver to kinda replicate the shiny exhaust headers you find on antique restored cars and motorcycles. In the end I'm very happy with the result!! The modification added 1.3 grams of weight, which could be neglected if I didn't paint it.

300554_941ba93b44099c120775542e3954f47e.jpg

The remaiden went great! There was a little bit more flex in pushrods because they were longer so there was a tiny bit less authority when the servo had to push the control surface. Other than that there was no noticable change in flight characteristics.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
The tail of my build was getting a little beat up and mushy. Originally I was going to just build a new fuse but I thought "why not do something out of the ordinary." I've always wanted to build a Zlin Savage bobber so I decided to build something like one of those. I only have bbq skewers so I was a little concerned about weight right off the bat. I started by amputated the tail right where the fuse starts to taper.

I started off by tracing the side profile of the fuse onto a sheet of paper. I put a piece of cardboard under the piece of paper and some wax paper above it. The cardboard was so I could stick pins into it to keep the bbq skewers aligned, and the wax paper was to stop glue from sticking to the paper. I then began the process of glueing all the bbq skewers together.

I was originally expecting to not use cross bracing, but I like the look of them and it could use a bit of stiffness.

After I finished the first half I built the second but made it so the cross braces pointed in the opposite direction of the first half.

I then began the slightly irritating process of connecting the two halves together. Luckily I had some thin CA so I was able to tack everything in place before filling the gaps with wood glue to make a solid joint. I took my time and everything was perfectly square and centered.

Next I cut out new tail feathers because the old ones were getting pretty tired. I got rid of the counterbalances on the elevator because the old ones would get caught in the grass and tear them up whenever I flared the plane during a landing. I chose not to iron the tail feathers because I like the rugged look it has and because it annoys @BATTLEAXE I then painted the wooden part black and the tail feathers orange to add some color.

I then mounted the tail section onto the main fuse. I wanted the service to be unseen so I mounted them in the fuselage. Typically I paint the pushrods and control horns the same color as the surrounding fuse. I wanted to try something different so I elected to paint the whole pushrod system silver to kinda replicate the shiny exhaust headers you find on antique restored cars and motorcycles. In the end I'm very happy with the result!! The modification added 1.3 grams of weight, which could be neglected if I didn't paint it.

The remaiden went great! There was a little bit more flex in pushrods because they were longer so there was a tiny bit less authority when the servo had to push the control surface. Other than that there was no noticable change in flight characteristics.
That looks awesome!

"Corpse"

Legendary member

That looks sick! Nice job annoying @BATTLEAXE.:ROFLMAO:

slowjo

Master member
Got some progress done on the U2. My props arrived when I was out of town so I got the fan set up. The ESC I bought with it is acting kinda funny so I've got to change some settings, for now I pulled a 35a ESC I wasn't using out of a glider. The extra 5 amps capacity shouldn't hurt. It's an Emax 2207 with a 3" prop I trimmed down to fit the duct, I'm running it of a 2300 mah 4s. It'll plenty of thrust for this big jet-powered glider. If it's not then I can build a modified HE-163 Grunjet from the wreckage.

View attachment 167208

I also did a quick mockup of the fuselage sections just to see what it looks like.

View attachment 167209
is that what people refer to as a BDF?

slowjo

Master member

that turned out great! a year or two ago I tried something similar, I had found some longer skewers , half way thru the build I gave up... trying to get everything lined up and square... did NOT go well

chris398mx

Master member
+1

@chris398mx how is the CG? It looks like it would be easy to be tail heavy...
This thing is a tank. I hope I dont have to add any weight. I am already worried about it getting off the ground. I need to figure out where the CG should be. If it is about 1/3 of the wing cord I should be alright. the 3D printed cowls and radial engine mounts weigh a lot and are ahead of the CG point. I shoved a 1500 3S in the front of it when I made the video and it seemed like it would balance if i moved the battery forward or put a 2200 in it. Does anyone know where I should try to balance it for the Maiden?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@The Hangar IDK, I've been surprised by wings shaped like that before... The GC can be deceptively far back when you are measuring close to the fuselage. Although the saying is correct, "A nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane flies once..." Those styles wings do make for some nasty stall tenancies that will only get worse with more nose weight...

but all in all, that is a GREAT build, and I have now doubt that she'll fly great with the proper trim (and a bit of speed I'll bet)

chris398mx

Master member
@The Hangar IDK, I've been surprised by wings shaped like that before... The GC can be deceptively far back when you are measuring close to the fuselage. Although the saying is correct, "A nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane flies once..." Those styles wings do make for some nasty stall tenancies that will only get worse with more nose weight...

but all in all, that is a GREAT build, and I have now doubt that she'll fly great with the proper trim (and a bit of speed I'll bet)

Thanks I appreciate that. She is a porker for sure. I generally fly foam planes at my house, but the yard is probably not big enough, especially if things go south. I have trees and buildings surrounding the whole area. I will probably try to take it to the local flying field the next time the weather cooperates.