Anycopter Quad 370 Kit newbie help

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
You're welcome. :D

Two tips I would offer.

One is, be careful putting the epoxy between the wire leads and the aluminum bearing housing. If you get it too much and too high on the housing, you'll have a heck of a time getting the motor stand pushing on. You'll have to trim the epoxy away.

Second if you use JB WELD, insure you have the bell and stator separated, and you let it cure/dry before reassembling. JB WELD is magnetic and it WILL propagate to the bell's magnets and bridge across. Believe me, I learned the hard way, and spent 15 minutes on each motor chipping away that bridge and cleaning the bell's magnets with the tip of an exacto. :(

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Ouch, yeah - I would not recommend using JB weld for this. It's also conductive which could be an issue.

I just used good old 5 minute devcon from the local mega mart. Mix up about double what you think you'll need - it's cheap and it's easier to mix larger quantities well. I then mixed it until it was starting to set and thick but still had a bit of flow to it. At that point I used a tooth pick to drip it on and around the lead wires and work it in a little. I tried to err on the side of not enough instead of too much since I could always add more.

Haven't broken a motor wire since....though I've broken quite a few other things!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Ouch, yeah - I would not recommend using JB weld for this. It's also conductive which could be an issue.

Mmmm, not sure about JB-Kwik or any of the other JB products, but good ol' JB Weld that's been around since the 1960's is actually an insulator. I like using it because of its amazing strength and ability to adhere to metal and the glazing on wire windings, and its ability to withstand temps that would have regular epoxies smoking.

But, again, be aware of the caveat!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I haven't used JB in a few years so I may have gotten mixed up. I know that at least one of their formulations has metal flakes in it and very much is conductive - I thought it was the standard but I may have been confused. Most of the time when I use JB it's fixing my rail (See my avatar) and I'm out in the middle of no where and the tubes bouncing around in my toolbox have little if any writing left on them :) But I learned the hard way one time that at least some versions of JB are very much conductive.