Anyone build with MDF?

RoyBro

Mentor
I ran out of 1/8 inch hobby ply and thought I'd check to see if Home Depot carried 1/8 inch plywood. They do, sort of. I can get what they call a project board (1/8" x 24" x 48") for under $6 dollars. But I can also get the same size MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) for $4. I've seen it used in flat applications (patching a wall, etc.) and it holds up okay, but I'm a little concerned about using it as a building material such as for an Anycopter hub.

Any thoughts?

Rubicon

I have used MDF quite a bit in a past life as a finish contractor. Not that particular thickness though. I'll have to wonder over to my local home depot to have a look to see if the issues I thinking will be a problem hold true. My first thought is that it will not hold up like the plywood at all. MDF does not handle torsion type forces at all well, and it does not handle getting wet at all either. I will later today go have a look though and see if those misgivings are still valid.....

MT Alex

Rubicon's worries are spot on. MDF swells when even a tiny bit of water gets on it. If it is preprimed white it is especially susceptible prior to painting - even sweaty hands will bubble the primer off. It breaks super easily, as well. I hate to deal with "fake" wood panels and bead boards like you are referring to at work. MDF has also changed quite a bit over the last ten years, is suspect because of "green" issues with the glue that they use.

You might look at a sheet of Masonite. It's hard as heck and doesn't peel and break like MDF. It is hard on blades, though, and usually has only one smooth side with the other being rough checkered.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I would go with the ply for a couple more bucks and a 2' x 4' sheet will last half way to forever.
I don't know the cost of masonite but with a dremel and a cut off blade it is easy to cut and is almost as durable as ply is.

RoyBro

Mentor
I made a trip to Home Depot and neither choice is suitable. Besides the issues listed above, the MDF is not stiff enough. The other is hard board (smooth on one side and textured on the other). It's stiff enough, but I doubt it would hold up like ply.

I went to Michael's (hobby store), and picked up a 6" x 12" piece of 1/8" birch ply for $1.59. Now I'm on a mission to find a better deal on the right stuff.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I made a trip to Home Depot and neither choice is suitable. Besides the issues listed above, the MDF is not stiff enough. The other is hard board (smooth on one side and textured on the other). It's stiff enough, but I doubt it would hold up like ply.

I went to Michael's (hobby store), and picked up a 6" x 12" piece of 1/8" birch ply for $1.59. Now I'm on a mission to find a better deal on the right stuff.

I can't remember if it was Home D or Lowes but I snagged a nice 8ft piece of birch ply that was clearanced in the kitchen cabinet area of the store. It had a small crack and couldn't be used for the edge covering. I think it was less than $2. Never hurts to look.