Arrow High-Wing Glow Trainer and Cub Repair

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
To replace the broken material a straightedge was used to make a cut spanning at least two ribs. This will make it easier to add new balsa later as it'll be supported by the ribs. A little time with a knife will help remove the extra material still glued to the ribs. To make this repair a little easier, all of the ribs in this section of the wing are made from light ply, so none were damaged. If a rib was damaged the repairs would be a little more involved.

IMG_5943.JPG

After the ribs are cleaned off, patch panels are cut and glued into place. Since this is a curved part of the wing the balsa is soaked in warm water (or you could use Windex) for a few seconds, which softens it enough to handle the curve more easily. When it's glued in place, plenty of pins hold it while the glue dries. There is one small chip in the picture which needs to be taken care of. Tomorrow morning it should be ready to plane and sand, and any low spots will be filled with putty as needed before covering. Either way, the plan is to have it done tomorrow.

IMG_5944.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Alright, NOW I'm done working on the Arrow, although the control throws still need to be tested and adjusted as needed before the re-maiden.

After letting the glued-in patches dry overnight I planed the excess material, sanded, and coated with balsa filler. After the filler dried it was sanded again and ready for the covering to be reattached.

IMG_5945.JPG

For this kind of patch I should have just peeled the covering back from the leading edge and cut only the inside edge to expose the damaged area. That would make re-applying the covering easier and cleaner, but that's all part of learning. :)

IMG_5947.JPG

With the patch done and the original covering back on, I applied a thin strip of clear tape over the seam to keep it from lifting. Not ideal, but it's fairly hard to see unless you're looking closely. The yellow stripe on the wing top was also replaced on the right wing where it was missing.

IMG_5949.JPG

So now I'll hand it all back to Mike and we can go through the programming to make sure the servos all function properly after the crash, and then wait for good weather!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Good job Joker, it reminds me I have a old 40. Classic Sport that has a wing (needs covering) fuse (%75 percent is there) and needs a tail.